Configure Directory Opus + Everything 1.5a - Wildcard search?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
scott739

Configure Directory Opus + Everything 1.5a - Wildcard search?

Post by scott739 »

Hi,

I have both Everything (EV) 1.4.1.1024 and 1.5a installed on the same machine. Default installation and indexing everything.
I have Directory Opus (DO) 13.7 installed (under evaluation but I like it and will likely buy).

I have a bookmark in EV1.5a that works as I want it: wildcards:C:\\Users\\scott\\OneDrive\\MyApp\\Dev\\SB#*\\*.sln depth:7
This finds *.sln files in directories under ...\Dev\SB001|SB002|SB003|... without further finding *.sln files in the Archive folder in SB001|SB002|SB003|etc.
I also have S001|S002|S003|etc folders under Dev, and the #wildcard modifier works well to ensure both bookmarks work as desired.

I would like to save this as a Saved Query/File Collection in DO.

I have followed the instructions here https://docs.dopus.com/doku.php?id=addi ... ntegration and have set alpha_instance=0 in C:\Users\scott\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything-1.5a.ini (both via notepad and via the EV UI).

I have restarted EV and DO. I have not restarted my machine.

However, I cannot get the wildcard search to work in DO. I press + to start Search (Everything Global), paste in the wildcard search, but get no results.

Questions:

* How can I verify that DO is using 1.5a?
* Do wildcard searches work in DO?

Off-topic:

* I'm happy to uninstall EV 1.4.x if that helps. I note that 1.5a has been alpha for a while, it seems stable enough, and I like the new features.
* The structure of the wildcard search is different between 1.4 and 1.5. This works in 1.4: wildcards:C:\Users\scott\OneDrive\MyApp\Dev\SB#*\*.sln depth:7, while 1.5 requires the escaped backslashes. I assume this is intentional?
* The depth function is missing from the 1.4 Help -> Search syntax but works. Is this meant to be an undocumented feature in 1.4?

Thanks!

P.S.: Although new to EV, I absolutely love it. Wish I'd discovered it years ago. I'm recommending it to everyone. Thanks for the excellent software.
void
Developer

Re: Configure Directory Opus + Everything 1.5a - Wildcard search?

Post by void »

Disabling the alpha instance while Everything 1.4 is still running will cause conflicts.

Please try exiting Everything 1.4 and restarting Everything 1.5:

Exit Everything 1.4 (File -> Exit)
Exit Everything 1.5 (File -> Exit)
Restart Everything 1.5.

Use bookmark:"My bookmark name" to access your bookmark from a search.
-or-
Use your bookmark macro to access your bookmark from a search.
scott739

Post by scott739 »

My issue isn't getting my 1.5a specific wildcard search to work in EV - that works fine.
My problem is getting that same search to work in DO.
This leads me to think that DO isn't using 1.5a but I don't know how to confirm that (short of uninstalling 1.4, which I may choose to do).
mariamatcha

Post by mariamatcha »

I'm just guessing here, but I think you should probably ask in their forum
scott739

Post by scott739 »

mariamatcha wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:31 pm I'm just guessing here, but I think you should probably ask in their forum
Thanks. I saw a lot of DO+EV posts here so thought I would give it a try. But I agree with your input.