Install options and deployment

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
void
Developer

Install options and deployment

Post by void »

Silent Install with the portable version of Everything
Everything.exe -install <installation-folder> -install-options "<space-delimited-list-of-installation-options>"

For example, the default installation settings:
Everything.exe -install "C:\Program Files\Everything" -install-options "-app-data -install-service -install-efu-association -install-run-on-system-startup -install-start-menu-shortcuts -install-desktop-shortcut -install-language 1033"

The -install command will do the following:
  • Relaunch Everything.exe as admin if it is not already running as an admin. (May prompt for UAC)
  • Copy Everything.exe (itself) to "C:\Program Files\Everything"
  • Run C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe with the specified install-options:
    "C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -app-data -install-service -install-efu-association -install-run-on-system-startup -install-start-menu-shortcuts -install-desktop-shortcut -install-language 1033
Installation is silent.
If any error occurs, Everything will return with exit code 1.
exit code 0 means success.

Install user options with the portable version of Everything
After installation, install any user install options:

"C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -disable-update-notification -uninstall-quick-launch-shortcut -no-choose-volumes -language 1033
-This will install the specified user options and return immediately.

Launch Everything
And then finally, run Everything (optional):
"C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe"

Installer
The Installer works internally in the exact same way as above (running the portable version with -install).
The installer contains the portable Everything.exe and shows a basic UI to select installation options and then it simply extracts the portable Everything.exe to a temporary folder and runs:
c:\temp\Everything.exe -install <install-location> -install-options "<install options>"
where <install-location> is the installation folder, eg: C:\Program Files\Everything
The -install command line option will copy c:\temp\Everything.exe to the installation folder and then run Everything.exe from the installation folder with the specified <install options>
<install options> is a list of installation options.
After installation, any user install options are installed, for example:
"C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -disable-update-notification -uninstall-quick-launch-shortcut -no-choose-volumes -language 1033
And then finally, Everything is launched (if enabled):

Command line options for the Everything installer

/S - Silent install.
-install-options "<install options>" - Specify the install options. Must be in quotes (optional).
/D=<location> - Install location (this must be specified last with no quotes - optional)

To install Everything silently:

Code: Select all

Everything-Setup.exe /S -install-options "<install options>" /D=<install location>
Admin install options

These commands can be specified in the -install-options command line option.
They will always be executed as an admin.
User install options

Do not use these commands with -install-options since -install-options will run elevated.
Everything.exe Installation Command Line Options:
/support/everything/command_line_options/

If no install options are specified the existing install options are used.
If no existing install options are available, the previously installed options are used. (since Everything 1.4.1.995)
If Everything was not previously installed, the default install options are used.

Example:

Everything-Setup.exe /S -install-options "-app-data -disable-run-as-admin -install-desktop-shortcut -install-service -install-start-menu-shortcuts" /D=C:\Program Files\Everything
The default install options are:

Everything-Setup.exe /S -install-options "-app-data -disable-run-as-admin -install-efu-association -uninstall-folder-context-menu -install-run-on-system-startup -install-service -install-desktop-shortcut -install-start-menu-shortcuts -uninstall-url-protocol" /D=C:\Program Files\Everything
Silent uninstallation with the the portable version of Everything

Everything.exe -uninstall <installation-folder>

For example:
Everything.exe -uninstall "C:\Program Files\Everything"

Note: consider copying Everything.exe to a temporary folder before calling Everything.exe -uninstall to delete itself.

This will do the following:
  • Relaunch as admin if currently not running as an admin.
  • Remove all Everything files from C:\Program Files\Everything
  • Remove Everything.db from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Everything for every user profile.
  • Remove any Everything registry keys.
  • Remove Start menu and desktop icons.
  • Remove any system modification, such as folder context menu items, start on system startup, EFU association, ES: protocol etc.
No user files are removed (anything in %APPDATA%\Everything)

Silent uninstallation of user files with the the portable version of Everything

Everything.exe -uninstall-user

This will do the following:
  • Remove current-user start menu and desktop shortcuts.
  • Remove quick launch shortcut.
  • Delete all Everything user files from the virtual store (C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Everything)
  • Delete all Everything user files from %APPDATA%\Everything
RAJA4042

Re: Install options and deployment

Post by RAJA4042 »

Hi All,

I am deploying everything 1.4.1.928 through system context(SCCM) with below command line but it doesn't create neither start menu shortcut not the desktop shortcut

-install "C:\Program Files\Everything" -install-options " -app-data -disable-update-notification -uninstall-run-on-system-startup -install-service -disable-run-as-admin -uninstall-folder-context-menu -install-start-menu-shortcuts -install-desktop-shortcut -uninstall-quick-launch-shortcut -uninstall-url-protocol -install-efu-association -no-choose-volumes -language 1033" /S

Could you please help me with this issue.

Thanks,
Raja
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You are using the -install-start-menu-shortcuts and -install-desktop-shortcut arguments.
Those will install the shortcuts for the current user (in your case SYSTEM)

Use -install-all-users-start-menu-shortcuts and -install-all-users-desktop-shortcut instead (for more info: click the links in the first post of this thread)

Please remove your other (double) post.
RAJA4042

Post by RAJA4042 »

removed my other post.

Thanks for your reply.

-install "C:\Program Files\Everything" -install-options "-app-data -disable-update-notification -uninstall-run-on-system-startup -install-service -disable-run-as-admin -uninstall-folder-context-menu -install-all-users-start-menu-shortcuts -install-all-users-desktop-shortcut -uninstall-quick-launch-shortcut -uninstall-url-protocol -install-efu-association -no-choose-volumes -language 1033" /S

I should not use -appdata as as I am running in system contxt, please correct me if I am wrong.

I have used the above command still no desktop shortcuts but got two shortcuts search everything and uninstall everything in start menu.

And even though I passed disable run as admin, even I launch exe under program files it is asking for admin creadentials.

But throwing below error

[Window Title]
Explorer.EXE

[Content]
The item referred to by this shortcut cannot be accessed. You may not have the appropriate permissions.

[OK]
Attachments
Start menu shortcut properties and launch error
Start menu shortcut properties and launch error
Everyhting Star menu shortcut.JPG (73.65 KiB) Viewed 13600 times
RAJA4042

Post by RAJA4042 »

It worked after I moved the silent parameter right after the setup, instead of placing it at last.
RAJA4042

Post by RAJA4042 »

Please share msi installer for 1.4.1.928, I did check in the mentioned URLS in forums they direct only to Setup files. Urgent please.

Tried below it doesn't remove shortcuts, please suggest.

"%Programfiles%\Everything\Uninstall.exe" /S -uninstall "C:\Program Files\Everything" -uninstall-all-users-start-menu-shortcuts
void
Developer

Post by void »

Lockszmith

Post by Lockszmith »

Is there an option that is equivalent to the 'Run Everything' checkbox at the end of the installer-wizard?

So that I could run the setup and it would run everything after everything is setup?
void
Developer

Post by void »

If you are manually installing Everything with: Everything.exe -install <path>
wait for the call to complete and then call Everything.exe from the installation path.

For example:

Everything.exe -install "C:\Program Files\Everything" -install-options "-app-data -disable-run-as-admin -install-efu-association -uninstall-folder-context-menu -install-run-on-system-startup -install-service -install-desktop-shortcut -install-start-menu-shortcuts -uninstall-url-protocol"