HTTP Server multiple accounts.

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Browser

HTTP Server multiple accounts.

Post by Browser »

I'm sure you have enough things on your plate but here's a little extra if you ever get the chance.

Having a FTP server with multiply users there's the problem of users keeping track of what's on the server and sometimes finding things, this can lead to a number of problems such as duplicate files on the server in different places.

Everything's HTTP search could help here but there's the problem of only being able to have one username/password, if you could add the feature of having multiple users each with their own password that would be great. Also if you're feeling energetic being able to import/export the username/passwords would be a nice bonus so they wouldn't all have to be set up again due to a reinstall etc.
David
Developer

Re: HTTP Server multiple accounts.

Post by David »

Having a FTP server with multiply users there's the problem of users keeping track of what's on the server and sometimes finding things, this can lead to a number of problems such as duplicate files on the server in different places.
Is it possible to get some more information on this?
Everything's HTTP search could help here but there's the problem of only being able to have one username/password, if you could add the feature of having multiple users each with their own password that would be great.
I would recommend setting up multiple instances.
You would need to run the HTTP servers on different ports.
See http://www.voidtools.com/Everything/wik ... _instances for more information.
I will consider adding multiple user support to the HTTP server.
Also if you're feeling energetic being able to import/export the username/passwords would be a nice bonus so they wouldn't all have to be set up again due to a reinstall etc.
The option to import/export settings from the options UI is on my "Things to do" list.

You can do this manually, by copying and pasting the Everything.ini file in your "Everything" installation folder.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Browser

Re: HTTP Server multiple accounts.

Post by Browser »

David wrote: Is it possible to get some more information on this?
The users all upload things, but with many users and categories there's sometimes confusion on where to upload it to or if it's already been uploaded with a slightly different name. If they could first search for it, it could help avoid people uploading duplicates because they didn't find it by taking a quick look.

David wrote: I would recommend setting up multiple instances.
You would need to run the HTTP servers on different ports.
See http://www.voidtools.com/Everything/wik ... _instances for more information.
I will consider adding multiple user support to the HTTP server.
Don't mean to sound like a jerk but that's probably the most hamfisted and inefficient way to go about something, sucking up hundreds of ports with hundreds of processes then there's also the issue of having to set up each one for a different account and the nightmare of having to do it all again (if the drive crashes for example etc) and the run around required to add/edit/delete accounts linked to each instance compared to simply clicking add/edit/delete in the GUI. All that and the resources sucked up by hundreds of instances, well that simply isn't feasible.

Of course it's quite alright if you don't want add such a feature to for whatever reason, I could even easily live with a simple "No, I don't feel like it / don't want to" I'd understand but multiple instances really shouldn't be considered a solution to anything. Just imagine if every application was eager to do that.
David wrote: The option to import/export settings from the options UI is on my "Things to do" list.
You can do this manually, by copying and pasting the Everything.ini file in your "Everything" installation folder.
Yes but being able to export all the username/passwords from the FTP server and then just import them would be great compared to typing them out though I guess just pasting them into a [section] of the ini would do.