F3 in Results Pane doesn't work as expected

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Stamimail

F3 in Results Pane doesn't work as expected

Post by Stamimail »

When you type in the Results Pane, you have JumpTo in status bar, like a secondary search.
You want to press F3 for JumpTo the next (JumpTo: item), but instead of jumping to the next, F3 make Focus in Search Bar.
Maybe should be solved with
Secondary Search idea.
void
Developer

Re: F3 in Results Pane doesn't work as expected

Post by void »

A Find bar is planned for Everything 1.5.

F3 will find the next item or bring bring up the find bar.
Shift + F3 would find the previous item.

For now, F3 simply focuses the search box.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

I'm using Ctrl+F for this in web-browser.
I checked Firefox and Chrome. Both use either F3 and Ctrl+F for FindBar.
Also I suggest to make it:
F3/Ctrl+F = On/SelectAll/Off

mmm... Ctrl+F is already in use in Everything, for SearchBar, of course.. :roll: :oops: It's mine most common hotkey in Everything... :D
replacing it with Ctrl+E??? I don't know. :?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Ctrl + F will most likely be changed to bring the up the Find bar.

Alt + D will still function as the focus search bar shortcut (same as focus address bar in browsers.)

Of course the user will be able to change it at anytime.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Alt + D will still function as the focus search bar shortcut (same as focus address bar in browsers.)
For me, for focus address bar, Alt+D works only in Chrome:
Address Bar focus:
Chrome: Alt+D, F6
Firefox: F6
Explorer: Alt+C (and works only when Keyborad Input set to He. F4 works for both langs but works in different way...)

Another thing is, IMHO, you don't need the keyboard shortcut of the AddressBar but of the Search Bar:
Search Bar focus:
Chrome: Ctrl+E, Ctrl+K
Firefox: Ctrl+E, Ctrl+K
Explorer: Ctrl+E, Ctrl+F, F3

So if you look for alternative for Ctrl+F, Ctrl+E is my preferred.

Btw, just now I've voticed that F3 works in all the 3 above as FInd Bar.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll have a play with Ctrl + E to focus the secondary search bar or main search bar if the secondary bar is not shown.

Ctrl + K appears to clear the address bar too (search bar on Firefox), I'll add this to Everything to focus the main Search and select all the text.

Alt + D focuses the Address Bar in Chrome, Firefox and IE for me.
F6 also works in Everything (tabs between major widgets - the result list and search bar)

Ctrl + F/F3 is planned for the Find bar. So in Everything 1.5 you will hopefully have:
The main search bar (Alt + D/F6/Ctrl+E-when secondary search bar is not shown/Ctrl+K)
Secondary search bar. (Ctrl+E)
Find bar. (Ctrl+F/F3)
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

I'll have a play with Ctrl + E to focus the secondary search bar or main search bar if the secondary bar is not shown.
I don't think it would be a good idea (though this kind of things needs experience of trying and error). I think it would be better to have separate shortcuts for main search and secondary search.
As I've suggested for FindBar
Ctrl+F = On/SelectAll/Off
You might try this also for secondary search, i.e. one hit will bring it up, second hit will hide it as long as the text is empty or all-text-is-already-selceted, else select-all-text.
Ctrl + K appears to clear the address bar too (search bar on Firefox), I'll add this to Everything to focus the main Search and select all the text.
It seems you tested in the new Firefox with the one bar.
I'm still using (an old version of Firefox with) the two bars (one of the things I prefer Firefox over Chrome), which Ctrl+E/K affecting only the search bar, and don't clear, but focusing the search bar with select-all.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/my ... dd-it-back
I can't understand the point with clearing the bar.
I am very pleased with how Ctrl+F works currently in Everything, except the problem it is disabled when History show-up.
Alt + D focuses the Address Bar in Chrome, Firefox and IE for me.
Is there a planning to use the Search Bar in Everything also as Address Bar?
F6 also works in Everything (tabs between major widgets - the result list and search bar)
Consider to focus the search bar first, and later the result list. Might be more useful for someone hopefully.
Ctrl + F/F3 is planned for the Find bar. So in Everything 1.5 you will hopefully have:
The main search bar (Alt + D/F6/Ctrl+E-when secondary search bar is not shown/Ctrl+K)
Secondary search bar. (Ctrl+E)
Find bar. (Ctrl+F/F3)
There is one more shortkey you need to take into account. Currently Everything using <Enter> to focus the MaxRunHistory, and you can't skip to the next/prev. Maybe F3 / Shift+F3 can be used here, as long as FIndbar wasn't called.