Filter bar position? How?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
ChrisGreaves

Filter bar position? How?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I have shot myself in the foot.
A week or two ago (1.5.0.1378a (x64)) I had a problem with the drop-down filter-bar display and somehow managed to solve that little problem by positioning the Filter Toolbar to the LHS of the screen.
FilterBar.jpg
FilterBar.jpg (86.47 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Now I want it back at the RHS of the screen.
A trip through Tools, Options revealed no quick fix.
I found a reference in Everything.INI "filters_right_align=1" but am reluctant to start changing the INI based on my limited understanding of what is going on.
A search of the forums sent me to a couple of promising topics:-
Re: Suggestion list is covering way too much and
filters_sidebar_visible

I don't expect anyone here to remember how I moved the filter bar to the left (really evil grin), but for starters:-

(1) Is the position of the filter bar supposed to be changed through a GUI within Everything? If so, please, how?
(2) Is the position of the filter bar supposed to be changed through an exit-Everything edit of the INI file? If so, what settings are available (top RHS, top-LHS, bottom-LHS, bottom RHS? Floating?). If so, How?

Thanks, Chris
therube

Re: Filter bar position? How?

Post by therube »

Right-click the Filter Bar.
Should be a 'Move Filter Bar to Left|Right'.

After that, check the value of your found variable & see if in fact its' value changes when you change the menu setting.
void
Developer

Post by void »

therube has the right answer.

The filter bar can also change sides by:
Double-clicking the divider between the search box and filter bar.
-or-
Dragging the divider between the search box and filter bar all the way to the left.
-or-
  • Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
    /filters_right_align=1
  • Press ENTER in your Everything search box.
  • If successful, filters_right_align=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

therube wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:51 pmRight-click the Filter Bar. Should be a 'Move Filter Bar to Left|Right'.
Thank you, therube. This did the trick.
I suspect that I saw this as an option while I was trying, mouse-like, to adjust the position and size of the filter bar - the old click-everywhere-at-random technique favoured by novices.
After that, check the value of your found variable & see if in fact its' value changes when you change the menu setting.
I am not sure what you mean by the 'found variable". I did take a peek again into the file Everything.INI and found this key:-

Code: Select all

filters_right_align=1
which makes sense to me.
Cheers, Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:55 pm The filter bar can also change sides by:
Double-clicking the divider between the search box and filter bar.
Bingo! A neat trick which, I suspect I am going to find - works in other elements of the screen susceptible to re-positioning.
Dragging the divider between the search box and filter bar all the way to the left.
Despite what I write to TheRube, this now is the candidate for me; I can see me - for some reason - trying to adjust the size of the filter bar and dragging the divider all the way to the right; after which random panic would ensue.
  • Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
    /filters_right_align=1
  • Press ENTER in your Everything search box.
  • If successful, filters_right_align=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
Ahah! The truly Brave test this out (after checking ON "View Status bar") and find that setting the value to zero shoots the bar to the left; so that clears up that little mystery,
(signed) "Happy Composter" of Bonavista.