How to add empty spaces in the details view for various reasons

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
nikov

How to add empty spaces in the details view for various reasons

Post by nikov »

Greetings,
Is there any way to add empty spaces in the details view?
Empty space is needed at least for the following two reasons:
1: To completely deselect all items by clicking in the empty space. Otherwise, without complete deselection, if a column's sort direction is changed from ascending to descending or vice-versa the result window's view is also scrolled. And this behavior is sometimes very annoying.
2: To properly drag-select multiple items. Otherwise, sometimes it accidentally performs drag-and-drop action instead of drag-select action. Which is also sometimes very annoying.

Empty spaces can be introduced or added as a column, so that user can adjust the position and width of the empty space.
Also its advanced version can be considered, called "Flexible Space" found in Firefox which automatically adjust its width, center items based on the window size.

Built-in Explorer's file manager has plenty of empty spaces in both the left and right end in its details view which is very convenient. Is there no such options in Everything yet?

Currently, what is the safest and fastest way to deselect all items and drag-select in the details view? Is there any shortcut/settings or post/sendmessage command?

Thank you.
NotNull

Re: How to add empty spaces in the details view for various reasons

Post by NotNull »

• Go to Menu => Tools => Options => Advanced
  • In the Show settings containing: field, type margin
  • Select listview_margin_left
  • Set its value to 15
  • Press the OK button
  • Done (?)
nikov

Post by nikov »

NotNull wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:37 pm

Thank you NotNull, but it didn't work as expected.
Although it adds empty space but this empty space is not super empty as built-in Explorer's file manager's empty space.
listview_margin_left's empty space only gives the ability to drag-select but does not deselect all items when clicking.
Moreover, it adds left margin only for the "Name" column. Not for a user specified column or at the extreme left side of the window.

Note that, it seems like Everything already has super empty space. But where?:
If you scroll down and go to the extreme bottom of the Everything's result window you will get empty space of just few pixels in height (for scrolling window).
Which acts like real/super empty space; i.e. it can deselect all items and drag-select on clicking/dragging.
(Note: Built-in Explorer's file manager does not keep this empty space at the extreme bottom of a scrolling window, it rather keeps this empty space at the extreme left and right side of the window and this is much more useful at these positions.)
But this should be user addable as a column or "Flexible Space" too; not just at the extreme bottom for few pixels in height (for scrolling window).
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

nikov wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:08 pm but does not deselect all items when clicking.
This is what I see in an out-of-the box clean Everything instance:
margin_test.gif
margin_test.gif (346.39 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
nikov wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:08 pm it adds left margin only for the "Name" column. Not for a user specified column
Good point. (Name column is always #1 here; never tested otherwise)
nikov

Post by nikov »

NotNull wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:48 pm

Thank you NotNull, but this works only if the first column is the "Name" column. I set another column as the first column; that's why it was not working at my side.
For now, maybe I have to force myself into tolerating "Name" as the first column. For now, if I can tolerate this, it can be a workaround.
But also note that, "listview_margin_left" or a default left margin should be column position independent. Built-in file explorer keeps real empty space in both the extreme left and right sides of the window regardless of any column's position (including "Name" column).

Also an important thing to note:
Even if you set "listview_margin_left" to "0" (default setting) it still gives some pixels of real empty space at the extreme left side but only if the "Name" column is the first column.
But if you put any other column as the first column it does not give even one pixel of real empty space at the extreme left side (no "listview_margin_left" setting works). So, I guess this is unintended or can be considered as a bug.
Also note that, there is no real empty space at the extreme right side if there is a horizontal scrollbar (number of column is high).
Some real empty space is needed at the extreme right side too (due to people's familiarity with built-in file explorer). Thus, a "listview_margin_right" setting is needed too.
I hope even if option for adding columns as real empty space or "Flexible Space" feature is not given for now, at least the above mentioned issues should be considered for now.

Thank you.
void
Developer

Post by void »

listview_margin_left only works if name is the first column.

I'll make listview_margin_left work as expected if you use another column first for the next alpha update.
nikov

Post by nikov »

void wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:08 am

Thank you void for your consideration.
Also note that, you may consider a "listview_margin_right" setting too because some people may find it useful. When horizontal scrollbar is visible due to high number of columns or small window, there is no real empty space at the extreme right side.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1368a improves the result list margin.

Everything 1368a will now always show the margin in the first column.

I will consider support for a right margin.

Thank you for the suggestion.
nikov

Post by nikov »

void wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:23 am
Thank you for the fix.
But is the "Name" column is still considered a special column for this? Because even if you set "listview_margin_left" to 0 (the default) the "Name" column still gives some pixels of left margin. But others don't. Is it because of the icons associated with it? Some pixels of default left margin for all columns maybe useful because many people may not be aware that such an option called "listview_margin_left" exist and also it will be consistent with all columns and familiarity.

Also, thank you for considering a right margin.

(And also for the leap day special release (as this may happen once in every four years). :D )
void
Developer

Post by void »

The icon has a hard-coded left padding.

This padding is 4 logical pixels.

Would you like an option to customize this value?
What value would you like to use?
nikov

Post by nikov »

void wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:54 am
Thank you.
I actually didn't think of icon padding or its use case. I just thought it will be maybe better for some users if they find some pixels of left margin by default for all columns by the same amount.
Then, if you talk about such icon customization, then, shouldn't we also care about other customizations as well? Such as de-associating icons with the "Name" column and re-associating with one or many other columns. Or adding a completely separate column/property just to show the icons?
And what will be their use case too? Sort by icon color like some smartphones? Search by icon color/image similarity, etc.?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will consider a default left margin like Windows Explorer.

I will consider always showing the icon in the first column like Windows Explorer.
I would like to avoid adding a separate column for icons at this stage.

I'll also look into improving the header text alignment when using a left margin.
I like the idea of having a small left margin on the header that you can double click to add a column.
I will experiment..

There's also text padding for the other columns.

I will look into adding ini settings to customize the padding.
-It's all hard coded at the moment.

Thank you for the suggestions.
nikov

Post by nikov »

void wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:40 am
Which can be nice too, but I very much like a first column which is not "Name" column and a "Name" column but with icons associated with it. In this setting, to me, always showing icons in the first column will not look comfortable/nice.
Trend/familiarity should not be always followed. Sometime one should be better than the trend and set its own trend. Everything is already in this field.
Thank you.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

nikov wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:14 pm Sometime one should be better than the trend and set its own trend.
Explorer is the exception here. Most filemanagers keep name and icon combined.
(Even Total Commander, which is quite inflexible with the column layout)
nikov

Post by nikov »

NotNull wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:06 pm
Thanks and yes also, this maybe exception, and may not be the trend in most filemanagers.
Trend here at least I tried to mean the most familiar/seen to the general public. Specially in desktop/laptop arena.
As far as I can remember, maybe I have not seen someone using icons combined with other column beside "Name" column in a Details view, but one day I accidentally dragged a column and discovered this. It maybe a feature for some users, maybe one day I will find a nice use case for it. :)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1371a makes the following changes:

added the following advanced settings:
listview_name_padding_left
listview_name_padding_right
listview_text_padding_left
listview_text_padding_right
listview_icon_padding_left

The header text will now also adjust to the listview margin left value.
nikov

Post by nikov »

Thank you for these additions.
Also hope, that consideration of a default left margin for every column remains, as this maybe helpful for the "listview_margin_left" option unaware users.