WizTree and WizFile

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
raccoon

WizTree and WizFile

Post by raccoon »

I notice the program WizTree mentioned on this forum, which utilizes the Everything library, and apparently they make another newer program called WizFile. I just gave these a wiz (yespun) this evening because they also include a column for Size-On-Disk aka Allocated filesize (which Everything does not) so I could manage a bunch of sparse files on an NTFS volume.

What I wanted to point out is that while their WizTree software doesn't utilize much ram at all, only as much as Everything does (about 1/4 gig), their program WizFile fricking soaked up 13 gigs of ram. What the heck is up with that? Are they both using Everything as a back-end, or is WizFile their attempt to write their own back-end? Anyone here familiar enough with both of these programs to comment? As best as I can tell, WizFile is just a slimmed down version of WizTree and performs more like Everything (no graphical elements), but something is not right with it.

<sorry, i should have posted this to the Third Party Software forum>
NotNull

Re: WizTree and WizFile

Post by NotNull »

To clarify: WizTree and WizFile do not make use of Everything but use the same technology to read file information (from the Master File Table; $MFT)

I use WizTree quite often and have tested WizFile in the past. I can't reproduce the WizFile behaviour you are seeing (version 2.05 x64 btw). WizFile uses approximately 1.5 times the RAM of Everything.
FWIW: WizTree aslo has built-in WizFile/Everything functionality: click the "File View" tab to access it.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Ok. So neither are literally using software written by voidtools. Gotcha.

I did nothing at all in WizFile. I simply started it up, selected my drives and let it do its thing. It pegged 99% CPU for a fair while, and then I got Low Ram warnings which I had never seen before in modern Windows. Checked Process Explorer to see WizFile at 13 gigaboats. I only have 8 physical on this machine.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

First guess: WizFile follows reparse points and there is a "junction loop" in your directory structure.

(
a\folder ==> b\
b\folder ==> a\
)

If WizFile dos not stop at a junction or does not detect loops, this will keep looping until maxpath or no more RAM
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Do you know of any tools to specifically index all symbolic links / junction loops? Honestly just an OS and a folder of downloads on this NTFS drive. All other drives are exFAT for portability and to specifically to avoid ADS, ACL and other NTFS silliness.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Sysinternals has junction.exe, a command-line tool.
therube

Post by therube »

I listed some utilities in this post, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8370&p=27843.