Recognition of handwriting.

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
Debugger

Recognition of handwriting.

Post by Debugger »

Abby Fine Reader 14 does not recognize ANY(!) text. After scanning the image, instead of the normal text, it shows a garbage characters with various Unicode types.
I wrote to technical support, but never in my life did I get any help from them, let alone any answer.
I have used other similar tools and no program can recognize any handwriting (various types).
therube

Re: Recognition of handwriting.

Post by therube »

I don't know Abby, but is it expected that it would recognize "text" in an image file (which is binary file type)?
If you run Strings on an image file, it won't find any (recognizable) text.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ds/strings

It will find strings of "characters", but it will not find textual strings (in any meaningful manner).

Various file types (.exe, .pdf, ...) do (or may) contain textual data that can be parsed.
Or a program, such as Abby, may be able to look at "patterns" of "stuff", & compare that "stuff" to a lookup table & say, "hey, that's probably an A" & then display an A. Don't know that such a thing exists for image file formats?
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

You misunderstood, and very badly. It simply scans the document (eg a paper letter - written by hand) and I want to convert it to a normal text file. In no case can it be properly recognized.

Mini-Example:

https://postimg.cc/HVk0wYYZ

The result should be a text in English, not some strange characters!
therube

Post by therube »

Oh, in that case, I'd say Abby is not working properly.
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

I tried some of the best free (recommended as TOP) tools without the expected result.

Example result after recognizing texts:

d(f22o Tat Eeecirut. TL/Mur.!
T want, -bo apoEogize. -hat. so EonQ oucu.-bebL doe due EcEMr. , J. a/iEE kno*/ now as L isoetioz. to sena bo gou. feMe^.JLEso TapoEogM. Eoe 'cnoM&ige of EncTsE.; ■'Wty baaEg J andeestnncL thtiRefioee. J toeiLe. wTL dtz. -M&sfaxot b nope. cozeesponding with. gene. IL E wi£E Ecacn..
u
Efou. .<n()A/ about. rue and a. EifLEe. mu nobbles and Mcg L & ImeZestina -bo me. to Mm. papee. EeMezs. r/ovp vos Mia of -thz. kcu L Mute. goa a
-y--------- ,
feuzz). I cno^a EMEe about gat if I coeerc-lu undec-
_ I
_____^.,,'_ : Mm, Read cmnbs .
Eide, is it possible. Ed teEE much.,
S^*’ 7 - ' x, _ __ M
Ifc/lm i^f ----- Eeg&aLicheseg EaLt/.jC’wt. mca-nMiT
x iveue. goa ugEg, E wzLe. a. Ecadwz anot iL is not ooh; --MaE. (CaEEigeeipnlcciL font instead of PegnaE-ichesKy
EeiteT). I cno^a EMEe about gat if I coeeecdEy undec-Stana gou. the zomarvtic, you. ace. pEeasant Lo wede. EMess, poeteg. I r am. a Romantic Mo, I adtso Eave the. 3 eg and stags, not espeeiaEtg T Read poetzm but I ETe. M> zedoLy ozdeced ezen thz book. Dazing -Mis period of time. 1 kead -thz book- on. -the psickofogu J [ove. the. flOve£s? booZ and movies based on Mm, Real events des, shades fecm any Eide. /Sji possibEe. ^9 Ed tbEE much.; Dab an-Eotlunabe-tu Meg