Any idea why explorer shows far less items in Recent that anything else

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
vsub

Any idea why explorer shows far less items in Recent that anything else

Post by vsub »

If I search that folder with something else,I see at least 3 times more items than what the explorer is showing(what is not shown is A LOT of copies of shortcuts)
For example I access my X:\ drive(ram drive)at least 10 times a day and I have more than 100 copies of it according to anything other than explorer

It's like explorer don't show copies of files when I open that folder

"Recent\ .lnk X ( ).lnk" shows 114 items but explorer shows only 2 that are different somehow because they are using the same name but have different icon

And btw is there is some regex that can show only files that match this criteria
Random name(digits).lnk"
So only show files that end with "(digit).lnk"
NotNull

Re: Any idea why explorer shows far less items in Recent that anything else

Post by NotNull »

A little bit hard to tell without something like screenshots (but I understand it that you don't want to post that informnation in public), so some general pointers:
  • Recent\ will not only show the files in your userprofile, but also the ones in other userprofiles (like administrator)
  • Recent is a special Windows folder that contains raw data. Explorer does not show that information directly, but through a special "presentation filter". It is not meant to be accessed directly by humans. You can see the same behaviour with Recycle bin and Internet Explorer's Temporary Internet Files
  • Some of those files might have the hidden attribute set. In it's default setting, File Explorer does not show hidden files (IIRC).
    Can't test it as my Recent folder is empty (I don't use File Explorer)
vsub wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:16 pm And btw is there is some regex that can show only files that match this criteria
Random name(digits).lnk"
So only show files that end with "(digit).lnk"
Try it with:

Code: Select all

regex:"\([0-9]*\)\.lnk$"
You mentioned digit as well as digitS. The regex above does digitS.