Losing search queries on app crash or electricity blackout

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Cleoss

Losing search queries on app crash or electricity blackout

Post by Cleoss »

Hi, Void!

I don't know is it a bug, or just a feature. But I live in Donbass (we have the war nearby) and have blackouts few times per week. And with a pass of time I've noticed that Everything can't remember anything from my search history if I don't reopen it (and I never do it coz I'm using a sleep mode in spite of reboots). So I always loose my search entries and have small size of autosuggestions.

Now I'm using a script for Clickermann (automation tool) to relaunch Everything. Hope this can help somebody, and also I hope that Everything 1.5 will save the queries once u input 'em, but NOT on exit.

Here's the script I use:

Code: Select all

// 18-Jan-2018
#name "EvytnReld"
#autorun
//#include "alt-qs.cms"
define($path,"E:\port\PortableApps\~~etc\Everything-1.4.1.877.x64\Everything.exe")
$hwnd1 = WNDFIND ("Everything")

//while(1)
   KEYDOWN (#ctrl)
   //A_KEYpress (#Q, $hwnd1)
   hset($hwnd1,1)
   KEYpress (#Q)
   hset($hwnd1,0)
   KEYUP (#ctrl)
   wait(15)
   execute($path)
//   wait(5)
//   KEYDOWN (#win)
//   KEYpress (#down)
//   KEYUP (#win)
//   //wait(5)
   wait(0+4*3600)

//end_cyc

//halt
And I added this script to System autorun with TaskSheduler.
Cleoss

Re: Losing search queries on app crash or electricity blackout

Post by Cleoss »

Oh, I just have read out this (Night builds), and isn't a fix called "[886] Fixed an issue when shutting down Everything would cause it to miss changes" my one? Seems to be not, but maybe it put an effect on it, and maybe this fix will help me?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Search history is saved to disk when one of the following occurs:
  • An Everything search window is closed.
  • The Windows session ends (user log off).
  • You exit Everything.
  • You make a change in the Search History Organizer.

I can see this being an issue if you never close your Everything search window, I'll consider saving the search history to disk more often.

Thanks for the bug report.
[886] Fixed an issue when shutting down Everything would cause it to miss changes
This is unrelated to search history.
Only file system changes detected by Everything was effected.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

void wrote: I can see this being an issue if you never close your Everything search window, I'll consider saving the search history to disk more often.
Or add saving INI / search history / run history to the Everything.exe -update command?
Cleoss

Post by Cleoss »

NotNull wrote:Or add saving INI / search history / run history to the Everything.exe -update command?
Yes, you're right, I've tested this cli-option and found that it updates only db, NOT the ini+sets :(
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

That's why I suggested it :D
In your case, this everything.exe -update can be easily scheduled to run (no need to close the running Everything).
Cleoss

Post by Cleoss »

NotNull wrote:In your case, this "everything.exe -update" can be easily scheduled to run (no need to close the running Everything).
I wait this fix much :) This also mean that I won't lose a scrolling position in a search window any more during those relaunches. Sure, we can use "-focus-last-run-result" or "-select filename.ext" options, but how we can define a current position filename (to restore it on next-time launch)? :roll: Oh we can define the hotkey for File > Copy Path to Clipboard, copy the selected filename with it and store this name to use it in command-line later.