The same bug for voidImageViewer and Everything

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Stamimail

The same bug for voidImageViewer and Everything

Post by Stamimail »

voidImageViewer:
https://github.com/voidtools/voidImageViewer

Trying to make a new instances by Shift+Click on taskbar button.
There is a differecne if you pin the program to taskbar or not.
When the program is pinned, the Shift+Click works.
When the program is not pinned, the Shift+Click doesn't make a new instance as expected.

Another thing I've noticed,
I run Everything as an instance.
Everything.exe -instance 877

Trying to make a new window by Shift+Click make a completely new instance of Everything (while the user probably wants a new window of the same instance).
I looked at MS-Word how it works with Shift+Click, and could see it makes new windows rather than completely new instance of Word (It doesn't restart the count of new documents).
void
Developer

Re: The same bug for voidImageViewer and Everything

Post by void »

The secret here is called shortcut. To get this behavior, you have to create a shortcut to your program, to the start menu, the desktop or the taskbar. When a shortcut is present, Windows finds it from the running program, even if it has been started by a totally different way (command line, explorer, etc...) and middle clicking or shift-clicking on the open program icon in the taskbar simply executes the shortcut.

This is easily verifiable: remove the shortcut for Notepad from the start menu and you won't be able to middle click it anymore! Change the shortcut by adding an argument to it (a text file path) and the file will be opened in notepad by shift-clicking on the taskbar icon.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/680 ... shiftclick

Try creating/changing your Everything/voidImageViewer Start menu/desktop shortcut parameters.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

To call it a bug or unexpected behavior (in this case, of Microsoft) - it does not matter much for the user how you name it.
I hope Microsoft will fix it one day... Thanks.

What do you think about the other thing:
Another thing I've noticed,
I run Everything as an instance.
Everything.exe -instance 877

Trying to make a new window by Shift+Click make a completely new instance of Everything (while the user probably wants a new window of the same instance).
I looked at MS-Word how it works with Shift+Click, and could see it makes new windows rather than completely new instance of Word (It doesn't restart the count of new documents).
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try changing your Everything desktop shortcut and Everything start menu shortcut to run:
"C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -instance 877

It looks like the desktop shortcut / startmenu shortcut is the only way to control the shift + click action.