Bookmark attributes (e.g. sort order) are not remembered when invoking macro (e. g. todo:)

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
punxsutawney72

Bookmark attributes (e.g. sort order) are not remembered when invoking macro (e. g. todo:)

Post by punxsutawney72 »

When I invoke a bookmark by entering its macro name (e. g. todo:) the attributes of the search it should remember (e. g. Remember sort: Name (Ascending), Remember view: Thumbnails (32 x 32)) aren't restored altough the respective check boxes in the 'Edit Bookmark' dialog have been ticked and all options have been saved. Instead, the current attributes (sort order, view) in the main window are left unchanged.

But when I invoke the same macro by selecting its name in the bookmarks list on the 'Organize Bookmarks' dialog and click 'Ok', the attributes are restored as expected.
void
Developer

Re: Bookmark attributes (e.g. sort order) are not remembered when invoking macro (e. g. todo:)

Post by void »

This is currently by design.

The bookmark view/search options are only invoked if you open the bookmark from the bookmark menu, from the bookmark shortcut key or command line.

I'll consider using the bookmark sort and view when using the bookmark macro.
In the case of specifying two or more bookmark macros, the last specified bookmark sort and view could be used.
NotNull

Re: Bookmark attributes (e.g. sort order) are not remembered when invoking macro (e. g. todo:)

Post by NotNull »

punxsutawney72 wrote:When I invoke a bookmark by entering its macro name (e. g. todo:) the attributes of the search it should remember (e. g. Remember sort: Name (Ascending), Remember view: Thumbnails (32 x 32)) aren't restored altough the respective check boxes in the 'Edit Bookmark' dialog have been ticked and all options have been saved. Instead, the current attributes (sort order, view) in the main window are left unchanged.

But when I invoke the same macro by selecting its name in the bookmarks list on the 'Organize Bookmarks' dialog and click 'Ok', the attributes are restored as expected.
To me the current behaviour makes perfect sense. If you type a macro name in the search query bar, you only get the 'things' that are valid on the search query bar (there is no sort query command or changing the view settings from the search bar).
If you also want to change the way the results are displayed, use the Bookmark (or it's shortcut key).
Same goes for Filters, btw.

void wrote: I'll consider using the bookmark sort and view when using the bookmark macro.
In the case of specifying two or more bookmark macros, the last specified bookmark sort and view could be used.
Suppose you have two bookmark: "Todo", which is sorted by date and "Done", which is sorted by size.
Now the query Todo: | Done: will be sorted different than the query Done: | Todo: That is going to give me headaches :- )

What maybe could work is extending the functionality of the search bar to be used as a "command bar"
Just as it is possible to change Everything.INI settings through /key=value pairs, use something similar to change view /result /menu:search settings.
Something like >WW or >!PATH or >ToDo: . But then again: Why?