Locked at start

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
wddt

Locked at start

Post by wddt »

Hi!
I absolutely love Everything search and am devastated because it has stopped working for me.
Symptom: Everything starts and shows the standard window but the cursor is not blinking and it will not respond to anything. Just a static picture. Clicking anywhere has no effect, not on links or even the "close" X in the corner. Right clicking on the icon in the tray and choosing "close" has no effect. I have to shut it down using Task Manager. (I also downloaded the portable zip file and got the same results running that.) I HAVE rebooted the machine several times to try different things with no success.
I have NOT yet tried uninstalling and re-installing because I had it set up exactly the way I like it and don't want to lose the settings.
Running Windows 7 Professional, 32 bit on a Dell Optiplex 7010
Any help gratefully accepted and thanks in advance!
Bill D
wddt

Re: Locked at start

Post by wddt »

Replying to my own question:
After posting this question, I noticed that Windows Explorer had stopped showing PDF contents in the Preview pane. Since I had that pane also activated in Everything Search, I wondered if something might have changed globally. I decided to see when my latest System Restore point was and discovered Windows had made a new one this morning after a "Critical Update". I chose to restore my computer to the previous restore point and executed the Restore.
When the machine had finished, I got the typical "Windows Restore did not complete successfully . . . none of your files has been changed" message. But a check of Explorer showed the Preview pane was working again, so I tried Everything Search -- and it works! I wish all my problems could be solved every time "nothing changed". Now to back up my ES preferences.
Thanks!
Bill D