Everything Using a Large Amount of RAM

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
aaronth07

Everything Using a Large Amount of RAM

Post by aaronth07 »

I don't understand why Everything uses a relatively large amount of RAM? It usually 200 MB or more, which is too much for me to keep running all of the time (I also game on the machine, and am already limited on RAM). However if I don't keep it running, Everything has to rescan every time I open it. I don't understand why Everything couldn't just store the index on my hard drive, and then load it into the RAM when I open a search window (instead of storing the database in my RAM). And why does it force a rescan when I open it (without having it already open in the background).

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I am sure that the RAM management for this amazing program could be much better.
therube

Re: Everything Using a Large Amount of RAM

Post by therube »

How many files?
What Indexing options do you have set (Tools | Options -> Indexes)?

How much RAM do you have?
What CPU?

Is Everything affecting your gaming?

If you wanted, if it's sufficient for your needs, you could something like, "scan once" (to get a baseline), then disable Monitor changes, then do a Rebuild (to pick up on changes) when it's convenient for you. (Not sure if that would reduce memory requirements, probably not, but at least the monitoring would not be interfering (which I'd think it odd to be doing to any noticeable degree).
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything will use roughly 100 MB per 1 million files indexed.

To reduce the number of files indexed by Everything:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Exclude tab on the left.
  • Click Add Folder....
  • Select any folder that you do not wish to include in your Everything index and click OK.
  • Repeat for any additional folders you wish to exclude.
  • Click OK.
If you wish to exclude an entire volume, please do so from Tools -> Options -> NTFS -> Volume -> Include in database.

If you don't need file size or date modified information, please consider disabling size indexing and date modified indexing:
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Uncheck recent changes. (can save a couple MB if you leave Everything running)
  • Uncheck Index file size. (saves 8-16 bytes per file)
  • Uncheck Index date modified. (saves 8-16 bytes per file)
  • Uncheck fast path sort (saves 4-8 bytes per file)
  • Click OK.
Optimal Settings for Everything 1.4

Please consider enabling close on execute and disabling run in background:
  • Click the Results tab on the left.
  • Check Close window on execute.
  • Click the UI tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Run in background.
  • Click OK.
This might be useful if you are launching your games from Everything. When you launch a game from Everything, Everything will now exit.

Please consider using the x86 version of Everything.
The x86 version will use about half of the RAM used by the x64 version.

I'm working on making Everything more efficient and allowing you to search immediately after running Everything (without having to wait for the database to update).
aaronth07

Post by aaronth07 »

therube wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:38 pm How many files?
What Indexing options do you have set (Tools | Options -> Indexes)?

How much RAM do you have?
What CPU?

Is Everything affecting your gaming?

If you wanted, if it's sufficient for your needs, you could something like, "scan once" (to get a baseline), then disable Monitor changes, then do a Rebuild (to pick up on changes) when it's convenient for you. (Not sure if that would reduce memory requirements, probably not, but at least the monitoring would not be interfering (which I'd think it odd to be doing to any noticeable degree).
I have 16GB DDR4, but 200 MB is certainly a large amount of RAM used when you need most (if not all) of it for gaming. And CPU usage in consistently 0%, that isn't the problem.

https://i.imgur.com/ZmFHg2K.pngHere is a screenshot of my indexing options.
void wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:10 am Everything will use roughly 100 MB per 1 million files indexed.

To reduce the number of files indexed by Everything:
  • Click the Exclude tab on the left.
  • Click Add Folder....
  • Select any folder that you do not wish to include in your Everything index and click OK.
  • Repeat for any additional folders you wish to exclude.
  • Click OK.
If you wish to exclude an entire volume, please do so from Tools -> Options -> NTFS -> Volume -> Include in database.

If you don't need file size or date modified information, please consider disabling size indexing and date modified indexing:
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Uncheck recent changes. (can save a couple MB if you leave Everything running)
  • Uncheck Index file size. (saves 8-16 bytes per file)
  • Uncheck Index date modified. (saves 8-16 bytes per file)
  • Uncheck fast path sort (saves 4-8 bytes per file)
  • Click OK.
Optimal Settings for Everything 1.4

Please consider enabling close on execute and disabling run in background:
  • Click the Results tab on the left.
  • Check Close window on execute.
  • Click the UI tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Run in background.
  • Click OK.
This might be useful if you are launching your games from Everything. When you launch a game from Everything, Everything will now exit.

Please consider using the x86 version of Everything.
The x86 version will use about half of the RAM used by the x64 version.

I'm working on making Everything more efficient and allowing you to search immediately after running Everything (without having to wait for the database to update).
I don't really want to exclude anything (I want everything indexed). Is there not a way for everything to only index new/changed files and just save that to the database on my hard drive? That way I could have everything open and indexing constantly without using so much RAM (because the index would be saved on the HDD).
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

HAve you tried it like this?
2019-08-01 22_43_18-Everything.png
2019-08-01 22_43_18-Everything.png (14.71 KiB) Viewed 8046 times
BTW: Which games require 16GB RAM? :shock:
aaronth07

Post by aaronth07 »

NotNull wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:45 pm HAve you tried it like this?

2019-08-01 22_43_18-Everything.png

BTW: Which games require 16GB RAM? :shock:
Yeah, I have had that on since I installed the software.

And most newer games require 16GB (or close to it) at 1440p.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

aaronth07 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:05 am Yeah, I have had that on since I installed the software.
Well, then you pretty much minimized the amount of RAM per file needed for Everything to do it's job.
And Everything is already pretty efficient with it's RAM usage ...
If you want to minimize it further, you will have to exclude files.

When Everything starts, it reads a Windows database to see if it missed filechanges during the time Everything wasn't running (and update itself accordingly).
That is what causes the delay you are seeing.

What you *could* do:
  • Create a shortcut on your desktop with target =
    "c:\program files\everything\everything.exe" -startup
  • Right after you finished your game , double-click this shortcut
That will cause Everything to be loaded in the background and update itself continuously.
That way Everything is ready to go when you start it the normal way.
aaronth07

Post by aaronth07 »

NotNull wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:56 pm
aaronth07 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:05 am Yeah, I have had that on since I installed the software.
Well, then you pretty much minimized the amount of RAM per file needed for Everything to do it's job.
And Everything is already pretty efficient with it's RAM usage ...
If you want to minimize it further, you will have to exclude files.

When Everything starts, it reads a Windows database to see if it missed filechanges during the time Everything wasn't running (and update itself accordingly).
That is what causes the delay you are seeing.

What you *could* do:
  • Create a shortcut on your desktop with target =
    "c:\program files\everything\everything.exe" -startup
  • Right after you finished your game , double-click this shortcut
That will cause Everything to be loaded in the background and update itself continuously.
That way Everything is ready to go when you start it the normal way.
Sorry for the delay in my reply, but why would Everything need to use any RAM except what is required for the indexing service? Nothing that is indexed should be stored in the RAM correct? It should be stored in the database file, however the database file is often even smaller than the amount of RAM Everything uses.
froggie

Post by froggie »

Everything works from memory all the time. Basically the file is used to save memory contents at shutdown and to reload memory at startup. That is one reason it is so fast, no database reads.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

aaronth07 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 am ut why would Everything need to use any RAM except what is required for the indexing service? Nothing that is indexed should be stored in the RAM correct?
Everything get it's file information from hidden parts of Windows that are only accessible as an (elevated) administrator.
The Everything service is "just" a gateway for normal users tro access this information: Everything client (the GUI) asks the Everything service to get the information. The service has the rights to do this.

You might be surprised how many changes (new files/changed files/deleted files) there are on a normal Windows computer. The files you edit and save are only a very small portion of the total changes: a lot of Windows housekeeping and a lot of browser related stuff is going on behind the scenes (you can search for
rc:
to see changes).

Now imagine that Everything *doesn't* run in RAM: Now for every file change the database must be loaded from disk ( in your case around 200MB, but multiple GB is also possible), uncompressed (by lack of a better word), changes entered in the database, re-sort it, compress it and save it to disk. And that every couple of seconds ....
I'm glad the whole database is in RAM :)
fmnijk

Post by fmnijk »

I notice the same issue in latest 64bit Everything 1.5.0.1366a

And the solution is to use 32bit Everything (x86)

in my test, 64bit version can use 35GB ram after a while
32bit version use <1GB ram
damasd

Post by damasd »

I can confirm having ~5GB of RAM used by Everything, no matter what Index Settings I use.

Please help!
void
Developer

Post by void »

1364a and 1365a had a memory leak in the Everything Service.

Does the issue persist with the latest version?
damasd

Post by damasd »

void wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:22 am 1364a and 1365a had a memory leak in the Everything Service.

Does the issue persist with the latest version?
thanks for answering. Unfortunately yes.

At the moment I have around 4.7M objects listed.
This is my current indexing:
Everything64_2024-03-25_13-01-31.png
Everything64_2024-03-25_13-01-31.png (8.46 KiB) Viewed 269 times
Taskmgr_2024-03-25_13-02-15.png
Taskmgr_2024-03-25_13-02-15.png (2.29 KiB) Viewed 269 times

If I disable them all:
Everything64_2024-03-25_13-03-52.png
Everything64_2024-03-25_13-03-52.png (8.79 KiB) Viewed 269 times
Taskmgr_2024-03-25_13-04-10.png
Taskmgr_2024-03-25_13-04-10.png (2.61 KiB) Viewed 269 times

I noticed that upon Force Rebuild, in the lower right corner I see the Indexing bar doing a lot of work while displaying 'Indexing Properties' but in my settings there is no Indexing for Properties.
Is there a way to reset completely all the indexes but still keep all the basic options, bookmarks, omit result filters etc? I just don't want to set everything from scratch.
damasd

Post by damasd »

My bad.

in my previous Post I had 1361a installed. and with that I had also some file content indexed. After disabling it I noticed no difference so I kept it on.

Now after disabling it on 1371a the memory dropped to 650MB which is good but now another question arises:

I need that file content indexed, which is done only on two specific folders, all together containing ~17k files. Is it normal that for ~17k files Everything adds 4.2GB of RAM?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

What about content indexing? (Tools => Options => Indexes => Content)
That information will be loaded in RAM too.

Please post some debug information:
- Go to Menu => Tools => Debug => Statistics.
- Post the first section -- "Database" -- here (the text can be selected and copied)