Changing drive letter: Everything automatically removes index with old letter?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

Changing drive letter: Everything automatically removes index with old letter?

Post by Biff »

When I plug in a hard drive, e.g. N:, to a new Windows installation Win automatically assigns E: Everything adds an index E: and scans as long as I change the drive letter to N: Now N: is indexed. Everything keeps E: in the index. Could Everything automatically remove this E: as it is the same drive (with duplicates in the index) and only keep N:?
void
Developer

Re: Changing drive letter: Everything automatically removes index with old letter?

Post by void »

I will consider an option to detect moved volumes.

For now, please manually remove the offline E: drive from Tools -> Options -> NTFS.
Biff

Re: Changing drive letter: Everything automatically removes index with old letter?

Post by Biff »

That's great, thank you very much!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1319a will no longer automatically remove offline volumes by default.

Detection of moved volumes has been improved.
Everything will now track volumes by volume name (\\volume{GUID})

Detection of moved volumes can be disabled with the following ini settings:
auto_move_fat_volumes
auto_move_ntfs_volumes
auto_move_refs_volumes
Biff

Post by Biff »

That sounds great, thank you very much!
Everything will now track volumes by volume name (\\volume{GUID})
So it might be important to use unique names for the drive names / these labels? So Everything gets able to identify them 100 % correctly?
But there is no need to use this now, I assume. Only if need be.
void
Developer

Post by void »

So it might be important to use unique names for the drive names / these labels? So Everything gets able to identify them 100 % correctly?
The labels, or serial number etc won't matter.
The OS will assign the drive a unique GUID which *should* persist when the device is removed and reinserted.

But there is no need to use this now, I assume. Only if need be.
Generally, these will be left enabled.
It might be useful if you are hosting any Everything Services (ETP/FTP/HTTP/Everything Server) where you want Everything to index exactly what you tell it.
Enabling the Everything Server will automatically disable moved volume detection.
Biff

Post by Biff »

The labels, or serial number etc won't matter.
The OS will assign the drive a unique GUID which *should* persist when the device is removed and reinserted.
Even it it is of the same make and model? So even if the drives (almost) are identical?
Enabling the Everything Service will automatically disable moved volume detection.
Sorry for my confusion, so that meant, if one has the Everything Service running he cannot use this new function? Here always the Everything Service is enabled (because of the lack of / diminished security when running it as admin). Why is the Everything Service disabled then?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Even it it is of the same make and model? So even if the drives (almost) are identical?
Yes.

if one has the Everything Service running he cannot use this new function?
Everything Server, sorry.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Ah, great, so I can use that function although the Everything Service is enabled.

Many thanks!