Hidden files and folders

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
harryray2

Hidden files and folders

Post by harryray2 »

If I want to add, for example, to the exclude list by navigating through the files/folders in explorer, both hidden and system files do not show until I enable show hidden and system in Explorer.

Is there a way to show all hidden and system during navigation without enabling in Explorer?
harryray2

Re: Hidden files and folders

Post by harryray2 »

I've looked through options in Everything but can't find a way round this.
therube

Post by therube »

Not quite sure I'm following?

You want to "explorer" via Windows Explorer
& during that exploration, you want to add Hidden or System files/folders to Everything's (Options | Indexes) Exclude list?

But you don't necessarily want to enable display of hidden/system in Windows Explorer?

Then just use a file manager (rather then Windows Explorer) that does display everything (heh) by default.

Everything itself will display them regardless, unless you tell it not to.
(On my end, System files had been excluded - which I didn't particularly realize, so maybe that is default?)
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

No, although Everything shows my hidden and system files in the search results, If I'm using Everything to navigate to a file or folder (as in exclude files for example) I have to come out of Everything and enable the show hidden and system files and then re-enable hide when I'm finished.

I was wondering why that Everything shows them in the search results but not when I'm navigating to a file or folder.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Unfortunately Everything uses hard-coded Explorer calls for this dialog.
If void would use the Windows file folder API other file managers could be the solution.
For me it works using Listary to switch to the folders in Total Commander.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1278a will now show hidden and system folders when browsing for a folder.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Is there a setting I have to change for this? I tried it out in temp excludes>add folder and the hidden/system folders aren't appearing.

Whilst on the subject, a lot of the time when navigating to a file/folder I have to go to it several times. At the moment I have to re-navigate each time to get to the same destination.
Is it possible for Everything to remember the last position so that I don't have to re-navigate each time?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

harryray2 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:10 pm Is there a setting I have to change for this? I tried it out in temp excludes>add folder and the hidden/system folders aren't appearing.

Whilst on the subject, a lot of the time when navigating to a file/folder I have to go to it several times. At the moment I have to re-navigate each time to get to the same destination.
Is it possible for Everything to remember the last position so that I don't have to re-navigate each time?
Hidden folders are shown here but not folders with the system attribute nor the combination of hidden and system.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Currently only hidden/system folders will be shown in Tools -> Options -> Exclude -> Add folder.

The next alpha update will show hidden/system folders for add folder/files in Temp excludes and other dialogs.
Thanks for the issue report.

The last folder is forgotten when you close the temp exclude dialog.
For the next alpha update Everything will remember the last folder for the rest of the session.
Thanks for the suggestion.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Great, thanks.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1279a should now show hidden files and folders for all file/folder picker dialogs.

Everything 1.5.0.1279a will now remember the last picked location for the entire session.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, interestingly, the hidden/system folder doesn't appear in the tree view of explorer but does appear in the main window.

Can it be made to remember location across different sessions?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

harryray2 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:56 am Thanks, interestingly, the hidden/system folder doesn't appear in the tree view of explorer but does appear in the main window.

How is the Everything change related to what Windows Explorer is showing ?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks, interestingly, the hidden/system folder doesn't appear in the tree view of explorer but does appear in the main window.
How is the Everything change related to what Windows Explorer is showing ?
This is most likely a limitation with the Open Dialog.
The Open Dialog is not showing hidden folders on the left treeview.

Everything is just setting a flag to force the Open/Save Dialog to show hidden files/folders.

I'll consider saving the previous save/open location between sessions.
Thank you for the suggestion.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, that would be a big help...I also wonder if some sort of Favourites system is practical?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1287a will now remember the last location between sessions for all common dialogs.