Are some key shortcuts OS specific?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
therube

Post by therube »

I didn't know it, but it tells me that Ctrl+Shift+2 is a toggle for the display of Path.

Heh.
Maybe I should read the book.

One day I'll learn that Ctrl+Shift+3 is a toggle for size, & that would be handy for me.
I said that, viewtopic.php?p=27007#p27007.

Where was I? What OS? XP? What version of Everything?
Anyhow, I'm thinking about it, & I, now, hit that combo & instead of the Path hiding, I get icons displaying?
And I'm like what?
And I right-click the column headers & where before I saw the shortcut keys identified there in the context-menu, now all I see are the words of the action that will be taken - no shortcut keys are identified.
So I look at the menus. Try, View, & it talks about icons, not the display toggle of columns?

So... currently, Win7 x64, Everything 1.4.1.941 x86?
(This is the Everything board, right? And I am looking at Everything [not NoScript], right?)
therube

Re: Are some key shortcuts OS specific?

Post by therube »

Might I have manually added/changed the shortcut keys?
(I do certainly add/change shortcuts, but those I'm certainly aware of.)
That would seem to be what must have happened, though if I did it, I sure can't remember doing so, & it would have had to have been a long time ago?

(Will have to look Monday or so.)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Or maybe in an ancient Everything versions shortcuts keys were different and you are still using the same INI?
(just trying to prevent a serious identity crisis on your side :))

On my system MEnu:View > Large Thumbnails is bound to Ctrl-Shift-2 (the default setting)
Last edited by NotNull on Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

There's no OS specific shortcut keys in Everything.

The complete list of keyboard shortcuts can be found here:
https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/keyboard_shortcuts/

From memory, Ctrl + Shift + 2, Ctrl + Shift + 6 was added quite late in the Everything 1.4.1 releases.

Before this change, Ctrl + Shift + 2 was used to toggle the Path column by default (Ctrl + Shift + 3 for size and so on). It is possible you still have these key binds in your Everything.ini.

I would like to add Ctrl + Alt + 2 for toggle path as a default. Unfortunately, Ctrl + Alt conflicts with AltGr. It might be possible to use this shortcut as a default for US keyboards only.
therube

Post by therube »

The oldest 'everything .ini' that I have, that has (items like) result_list_toggle_size_column is from 1-2013, & that has a bunch of those toggle keys defined [1331].

So I've got to assume they were defaulted at some point, & just got carried forward, on my end, to 2019 ;-).