Non-admin privileges ability in the portable version!

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
João

Non-admin privileges ability in the portable version!

Post by João »

I want to use this software at work, where i don´t have admin privs. So I can´t use it, even the portable version, witch is kind of against the portable purpose...
I mean, i believe that is what´s happening. Because when i mark the USN Journal option, i get an error msg that says that the program could not get accesses to the drive.
So, could you make the portable version, "admin priv - free"? Thanks!
void
Developer

Re: Non-admin privileges ability in the portable version!

Post by void »

Unfortunately, "Everything" requires administrative privileges to function.

"Everything" requires administrative privileges for low level read access to volumes.

I am adding an alternative method for indexing volumes with out the requirements administrative privileges.
However, indexing this way will not be as fast as indexing NTFS volumes with admininstrative privileges and these indexes would have to be maintained manually.
nopowerintheverse

Post by nopowerintheverse »

void wrote:Unfortunately, "Everything" requires administrative privileges to function.

"Everything" requires administrative privileges for low level read access to volumes.

I am adding an alternative method for indexing volumes with out the requirements administrative privileges.
However, indexing this way will not be as fast as indexing NTFS volumes with admininstrative privileges and these indexes would have to be maintained manually.
Please can you do so? I have Everything installed both on my home (admin) and work (normal user) PCs. I can't use Everything on work PC for the reasons you describe, but I am willing to live with the limited functionality, slow indexing/search etc. This is a very essential tool for a user like me!
And, thank you very much for coming up with such a brilliant idea, it's made my working with the PC so much faster.
adcone

Post by adcone »

I'm using Everything at home and I like it very much.
Recently, at work, they removed my admin rights, so I cannot use Everything anymore.

As a result I wrote my own application that I wanted to look like Everything, but it works in an offline manner.
Features:
- Gui looks like Everything
- specify list of directory to search and list of directories to exclude
- create a list of files from all the directories specified above that can be filtered in the same way Everything does
- list is updated manually (file system is not monitored)
- list of files can be saved in a text file, that can be loaded back lately
- works with any file system (FAT, NTFS, Linux FS)

I'm still working to add some other features.

At this moment the application is done in Java, but I intend to port it to some other language.