New File Type for Saved Searches Support + Win7 Jump Lists

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
glitch00

New File Type for Saved Searches Support + Win7 Jump Lists

Post by glitch00 »

Hello all. I'm a Windows 7 user and have Everything pinned on my taskbar so I can easily load it up. I'm a big fan of the jump lists feature and I think it can be implemented nicely and possibly easily if saved search support was added.

I did an experiment with version 1.2.1.371 by making a new file called "test.everything". Then I double-clicked it and made it open with Everything. Then I renamed it to "Search for RAR files". Here's a screenshot.

Then I dragged it to the taskbar for pinning and was surprised to see new type pinning correctly!

Of course the new file I made is just 2 bytes so clicking on that item just launches with an empty search box. If some support for "Saved Searches" were to be added, this should automatically give jump list support.

Then I decided to unpin it and found it still there under the recent category which serves as a good search history alternative. :)

This may even turn Everything into a pretty useful program launcher as well.

Feedback welcome. :)

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Really look forward to seeing this implemented in the future. :)
void
Developer

Re: New File Type for Saved Searches Support + Win7 Jump Lists

Post by void »

It might be easier to do this with shortcuts?

You can specify the start-up search string in the "Everything" shortcut with the -search command line option.

To change the search string when opening "Everything" from a shortcut:
  • Right click the shortcut.
  • Click Properties
  • Change the Target to:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -search "My Search"
    Change My Search to your new search (for example: *.rar).
  • Click OK.
glitch00

Re: New File Type for Saved Searches Support + Win7 Jump Lists

Post by glitch00 »

Yeah that works, but they cannot be pinned to the Everything jump list (like the screenshot above). I tried to change the properties of that item to a shortcut, but that isn't possible either.

I just thought of this idea in adding jump list support without making too many changes in the code. :)

Thanks for the reply!