Everything and file system permissions!

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
RaiGal

Everything and file system permissions!

Post by RaiGal »

Hello,
I am running everything in a Limited User Account and a Software Restriction Policy on a Windows XP machine,so far the only way i can get everything to function correctly is by running it as admin which isn't much of a trouble.However it comes with a price,anything run from everything is executed as admin thus a major security hole,not to mention any malware can inject itself into everything and get admin access.

The second thing i have in mind is the location in which everything saves it's database by default,even though i could be wrong i think it is saved on root:\Program Files\Everything which is sort of outdated if you ask me.Microsoft has made windows XP,Vista and 7 that way that you will almost never need to save files there,instead the database could be saved at root:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data which is way more convenient!

I think Everything is really a great program,probably way more useful than most of the programs i keep at my pc and i would really love to see a cross platform port to linux or mac hopefully someday!

My primary concern is getting over the whole admin access situation since i think it's extremely important.I am sorry for pointing this out and i know it's nowhere easy but i would sincerely ask you to consider finding another way around,perhaps in the next major release if possible.

Thanks for your time,keep up the good work friend!
vmanda

Re: Everything and file system permissions!

Post by vmanda »

I'm not verry, verry exprerienced using this tool, but You can use only Everything.exe,
add it somewhere under your user account, ( maybe some folder on your desktop ) ,
run it from new place and add shortcut to your desktop, change config settings (Tools > Options).
Everything database and ini will be created under same folder as Everything.exe,
where you allredy have read/write permisions.

EDIT: seem that i have not read carefully from home page:
http://www.voidtools.com/faq.php wrote:"Everything" requires administrative privileges for low level read access to volumes.
Maybe she will not work so easy like i have write before. maybe with some litle help from yours admin ...