Add functionality to taskbar

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
therock003

Add functionality to taskbar

Post by therock003 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:35 pm

I know this has been asked before even on the forum but its another year and another chance to put this out there. Having everything on the taskbar is "everything" id wish for. Oh my god I hope i just tormented you with this cheesy line enough to motivate you on adding it to the next version

NotNull

Re: Add functionality to taskbar

Post by NotNull » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:23 pm

IIRC, it is on the ToDo list for version 1.5.

But you can create a DIY solution for now:
  • Enable URL protocol ( Menu:Tools > Options > General )
  • Enable address toolbar (see image)
  • Precede your searchquery with es: (see image)
  • Everything will open with your search query (see image)
Long story short ... : see image :-D
2018-04-19 21_14_02-.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NotNull on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stamimail

Post by Stamimail » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:20 pm

I don't think I will use it for myself (I'm using a hotkey, Win+Alt+Space, to bring Everything up), but your solution is very nice.
I know you can remove the title "Address" from the address toolbar, when the Taskbar in unLocked.
It will be nice to know, if there is a way to make the address toolbar works with Everything by default, without a preceding "es:" :?:

therube

Post by therube » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:14 pm

The "Address" bar looks to also accept batch files, so you could shorten or change what you use to call Everything, but you still need at least a single character preface that points the address to Everything.

So the address bar (command) could be, say, 'E' (for Everything), with 'E' being a batch file, E.bat (or I suppose, E.cmd).
And E could be what I use from a command-prompt, EGO.bat (adjust as needed).

So: E c:\tmp, should open Everything to c:\tmp.

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:25 pm

Stamimail wrote:I don't think I will use it for myself
Neither do I :) (*). Saw the post, had an idea, tried it, posted the results and removed the address bar again..

Things might change if Everything gets an addressbar with a drophandler. That way you could select some text from a web page, a document or whathaveyou and drag it to the addressbar and Everything will search for that in it's index (don't know if that's technically possible)
A bit like this, but then more universal.
It will be nice to know, if there is a way to make the address toolbar works with Everything by default, without a preceding "es:" :?:
Well, the way Microsoft treats searching in the most recent incarnations of Windows 10, I wouldn't count on that. They are pushing "Cortana-search" *very* hard. Even formerly functioning group policies to disable web-search now no longer work (seems that way, at least; still have to dig a little deeper)
I suspect they inserted some "booby-traps" in this to prevent people (like me :mrgreen: ) messing with that.
REcently I looked at code to create your own toolbar, There is a function (API?) for that, even including an Edit-box option. Seems a lot easier that way.
(Problems always seem easy in the eyes of the people that don't actually have to do it :))

(*)I run Everything "on demand" (not in background, no tray icon) to save RAM. I have Everything pinned to the tsakbar and start it with Win-3

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:15 pm

@void:

Was wondering why there aren't much programs (that I know of) that add toolbars to the taskbar.
Haven't found the answer, but found the official terminology for those "things" is Desk Bands

Those are implemented as a COM object. Does the C programming language even support COM objects?

EDIT:It looks like Desk Bands are deprecated .... (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ecated-api)

void
Site Admin

Post by void » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:42 am

I have an unreleased semi-working deskband, it uses the standard edit control which does not support the aero glass feature so does not render correctly when using the glass effect on the taskbar.

I would have to implement my own edit control, something I would like to do, it will just take awhile..
I'll try and get something going for the next major version of Everything.
Does the C programming language even support COM objects?
Yes, Everything uses COM objects and is written in C.
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/80485378-3978-472b-ac76-a6a193cb9e47/undefine-cplusplus?forum=vcgeneral