Add DigiSign to avoid UAC confirmation?

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
moudy

Add DigiSign to avoid UAC confirmation?

Post by moudy »

Hello,

I have used Everything for 3 months, and I'd say, it's an amazing tool, better than any desktop search engine I have used. I know it doesn't index contents in contrast to Google/MS, but it does search better!

My only suggestion is: Could the author sign the everything.exe with a certification in next public version?
Because I like to put the tool in the startup folder. Under Vista and Win7 RC for each fresh boot I'm always asked by UAC to confirm the execution from an unknown publisher. That makes thing inconvenient.

At the end I must thank the author again for the awesome program!

Best wishes
Moudy
David
Developer

Re: Add DigiSign to avoid UAC confirmation?

Post by David »

I will reconsider signing the Everything.exe for the next release of "Everything"
dpatvoidtools

Post by dpatvoidtools »

To make this Vista compatible you will have to save changing files outside of the program files folder. The ini and db files change which prompts the UAC message even if the executable is signed.

Typically, you'd want to put that in
C:\Users\UsersName\AppData\Local\YourCompanyName\

On XP the equivalent is
C:\Documents and Settings\UsersName\Local Settings\Application Data\YourCompany\

CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

I love your program, by the way!
bytehead

Post by bytehead »

dpatvoidtools wrote:To make this Vista compatible you will have to save changing files outside of the program files folder. The ini and db files change which prompts the UAC message even if the executable is signed.
This will also help Windows 7. :)
dpatvoidtools wrote:Typically, you'd want to put that in
C:\Users\UsersName\AppData\Local\YourCompanyName\

On XP the equivalent is
C:\Documents and Settings\UsersName\Local Settings\Application Data\YourCompany\

CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

I love your program, by the way!
In Windows 7 (and probably Vista, I never ran it, so I wouldn't know for sure) there is a ProgramData[\Everything] subdirectory that goes along with Program Files that could also be used to store the .ini and .db files. Which makes more sense to me, being globally accessible.

Like the program, just tired of the UAC everytime I log in.
daspud

Post by daspud »

Check this out for a way to bypass the UAC: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/itdojo/?p=175