multi-computer search

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
robyhr

multi-computer search

Post by robyhr »

If I got it correctly, ET does support searching remote computers, but one at a time.
Would it be possible to add options to specify as many remote computers as needed, and that ET searches them all at the same time.
We have multiple servers on our network, and currently we run ET's HTTP server on each of them, and user has to now on which server file he's looking for is, to find it. now we would very much like to be able to have ET HTTP server only on one server, and ETP servers only on others, so users has to open only one website to be able to search files on all servers.

Also, would it be possible to make options to link results that HTTP server outputs to FTP protocol, e.g. user searches for files, finds file he wants, and when he clicks on it, FTP download is initiated, instead of HTTP. that would simplify adding additional servers, i think, as it would link to their FTP servers when file from them is clicked.

Thanks again for this wonderful tool, it saved us tons of time and nerves ;)
David
Developer

Re: multi-computer search

Post by David »

Currently "Everything" can only search one ETP connection at a time.

It will be possible to search multiple computers at the same time in the next release.
However, the results will not be live.
Also, would it be possible to make options to link results that HTTP server outputs to FTP protocol, e.g. user searches for files, finds file he wants, and when he clicks on it, FTP download is initiated, instead of HTTP. that would simplify adding additional servers, i think, as it would link to their FTP servers when file from them is clicked.
I will consider adding the option to use FTP links for the HTTP server.
netvope

Post by netvope »

David wrote:It will be possible to search multiple computers at the same time in the next release.
I've just tried Everything and immediately loved it!

Multi-computer search is an extremely useful feature (at least for me). It has been one and a half years since you said it would be in the then next release, but the latest 1.2.1.451a doesn't seem to have it. Could you please consider adding it in the next release?

Thanks in advance.
SEO

Post by SEO »

Hi David,

I was going to ask you for this feature but it's requested already :-)

I use several computers and it would be great to seach for files, duplicates and so on among all the machines.

I guess that this could be implemented by connecting to several PC's using the ETP server. Right?

All the best