Search for largest N files

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
daxfohl

Search for largest N files

Post by daxfohl »

One thing that would be useful is to get a list of the 10, 25, 50, or 100 largest files; I use this a lot for cleaning up the hard drive, but the only way to do so is with a full sort on the Size column for my whole hard drive, which is *slow*.
therube

Re: Search for largest N files

Post by therube »

WizTree finds the files and folders using the most disk space on your hard drive

The only problem is that it finds the top 1,000 largest files, lickety-split ;-).
daspud

Post by daspud »

It takes almost the same amount of time to find the single largest file as to find the top 100. Why?

To know that any given file is the largest you must read the size of every file. In doing that (involves reading the directory and not just the journals) you have only the overhead of checking to see if this new file is larger than the smallest largest file in your list. If it is and there is room in the list then add it otherwise replace that file and update the value of the smallest largest file.

I doubt that the difference between finding the largest file and the largest 250 files would be more than 1 second.
daspud

Post by daspud »

therube wrote:WizTree finds the files and folders using the most disk space on your hard drive

The only problem is that it finds the top 1,000 largest files, lickety-split ;-).
Wow! the Search Everything of sizes. David, what about checking that out for gathering info for size and date and time stamps?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will have a look into gathering file sizes and dates directly from the MFT when sorting all results by size or date.