Remember sort order across sessions/restart

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Could Everything remember the last set sort order after a close and restart? Ideally, I would like for Everything to always show me a list of items sorted by path, since it makes most sense to me.

TIA,
Ethan
therube

Re: Remember sort order across sessions/restart

Post by therube »

Sort is expensive, time-wise.
Perhaps not so much by path, not sure?
Certainly for Size, Date & others.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Everything by default sorts by name, so some sort of sorting (no pun intended) is always performed...
therube

Post by therube »

Right, I understand that.
Sorting by name or path, might incur the same costs, in which case an option to choose one or the other by default could work, but Void would have to say for sure.

Other methods will certainly incur a time penalty.
(Some information is obtained from the MFT directly, other information is obtained after the fact.)
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

i suppose that possibility to set the invariable sort order is very needed option

if i remember correctly, the quite similar program ultra-search has an option to remember the default sort order
unfortunately ultra-search is essentially less convenient in many aspects than 'every-thing'
Ideally, I would like for Everything to always show me a list of items sorted by path
that is exactly what i really need
let me express 1 more thought: i just don't believe that it is so difficult to implement this option at least partially - remember sort order across session
imagine this: absolutely every time i change any symbol in my search line, i get sort order changing to its default mode (by name)
and this is very confusing, irritating, annoying, because in 98 % of cases i use sort by path (by name - 0,5 %, by extension - 0,5 %, by size - 0,5 %, by date created - 0,5 %)

therube
Sort is expensive, time-wise
I found it too slow
i cannot confirm it. when i click "sort by path", i immediately receive the result

frankly speaking, i don't mind if i have to wait extra 0,1 or 0,2 second, but i care about convenience
and necessity to change the sort order for dozens times during 1 session is nonsense

can we at least have some line in the ini-file where it would be possible to set the absolutely constant default sort order?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have added the option to maintain an additional database sorted by path to my "things to do" list.

This would allow for instant path sorting, but at the cost of more memory and CPU usage.

For now, I will consider an option to keep the sort with an ini setting.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

void wrote:I have added the option to maintain an additional database sorted by path to my "things to do" list.

This would allow for instant path sorting, but at the cost of more memory and CPU usage.

For now, I will consider an option to keep the sort with an ini setting.
Thank you heaps!
void
Developer

Post by void »

There is a new ini setting in Everything 1.3.1.636b or later:

Code: Select all

always_keep_sort
If you set this to 1, Everything will always keep the current sort.
Warning: this can severely reduce the performance of Everything.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Great, just tested and works great.
My experience: I don't see any performance loss, and I'm using an i5-480M cpu (laptop)
therube

Post by therube »

If you set this to 1, Everything will always keep the current sort.
I take that to mean it will remember the last set sort column, rather then '1' pointing to a specific column (& '2' to another & ...)?
So in that case, if by Name, or Path, you should be OK.
But if you happened to close while it was on Size or something like that, you could be in for a slow go.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I take that to mean it will remember the last set sort column, rather then '1' pointing to a specific column (& '2' to another & ...)?
Yes, the always_keep_sort ini setting will only tell Everything to always use the ini setting "sort" for the current sort when showing a new window.

You can set the current sort type for new windows with the following ini setting:
sort=x

where x is one of the following:
0 Name
1 Path
2 Size
3 Extension
4 Type
5 Date modified
6 Date created
7 Attributes

This value is updated to the current sort when closing a window.

I have added the option "set the current sort for a new window to use last setting, or a specific sort" to my things to do list.
gggirlgeek

Post by gggirlgeek »

void wrote:There is a new ini setting in Everything 1.3.1.636b or later:

Code: Select all

always_keep_sort
@void: Have I told you lately that I love you? Oh, that's right I told you yesterday. :D

Also, the sort order stuck when I exited and restarted. And the speed when sorting c:/ by path and reloading the database is superfast as usual -- no noticeable difference. (Much faster than 1.2.1 too!)
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

thanks for implementing this option, automatic sorting by path works as fast as the default sort order by name

it is funny, but i had to spend not less than 10-15 minutes just to make it work (version 1.3.1.636 b, win xp pro, sp 2)
i cannot even comprehend and describe which action exactly eventually led to desired result

but my main thought is the following - my ini-file contains these lines
sort=1
sort_ascending=1
always_keep_sort=1
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9142/arrowoy.png

and i do not understand what is the reason for presence of 2nd arrow (to the right of 'name' inscription) ? is it a bug or a feature ?
i hope it is a bug, because it is definitely not normal situation when you see 2 arrows (which indicate that it is simultaneously sorted both by name and by path) when the search result is only sorted by path

(i may manually sort by name and then by path and thus make the unnecessary arrow disappear but i certainly won't do that each time i load the program, so this is not the solution)
therube

Post by therube »

Just to note ...

i see a decided slowdown with those settings.
not slow, but slower.

modest computer: Intel E4300 (dual-core) 2 GB RAM

on first startup, i noticed a "cancel query" dialog - for a moment.

so, slower, no doubt.
bad, not particularly, but at least on this computer, i would not default to it.

double arrows, yes, shows that way on startup.
though on a sort/resort, only one displayed.
void
Developer

Post by void »

i do not understand what is the reason for presence of 2nd arrow (to the right of 'name' inscription) ? is it a bug or a feature ?
This is a bug.
I have fixed this for the next release of Everything.

Thanks for the bug report.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

i see a decided slowdown with those settings
yes, i have to say that this my sentence - 'automatic sorting by path works as fast as the default sort order by name' - was not correct. i apologize for that

in fact, speed is almost 1 second slower with automatic sorting by path. but it is only true in the very beginning of typing (approximately the first 2-3 symbols)
(i have 218.000 folders/files on 4 hdd, 3 tb each) (core 2 duo e-6550, 2,33 ghz; 4 (3,24) gb ram)