Run as a service

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
eloyesp

Run as a service

Post by eloyesp »

As it has been proposed before in this post but never been answered.
Even better would be for Everything to run as a service rather than as a standard user application. The service would be responsible for the indexing and returning search results, and would only require UAC elevation on first install. The user would then interact with a non-elevated application that functions as a UI client, passing search requests to the service and displaying the results. Since the client runs without elevation, there are no UAC issues or unexpected executable elevations.
Is there any advance in that path? It look like really interesting design pattern (it could evolve to use standard windows search bar to use everything as a backend or add windows results on everything)
void
Developer

Re: Run as a service

Post by void »

I am working on an optional service server / client model for the next release of "Everything".

The service will run in the background with administrative privileges, while the ui runs with normal user rights.

This is currently one of my highest priorities on my "Things to do" list.
Sansis

Post by Sansis »

void wrote:I am working on a an optional service server / client model for the next release of "Everything".

The service will run in the background with administrative privileges, while the ui runs with normal user rights.

This is currently one of my highest priorities on my "Things to do" list.

I think, this solution could be to slow, when you want transmit all search results.
In 10 minutes you have a better solution: Could you make a little program: "starter.exe"
This starter.exe have no admin rights. (It must be started about autostart from Windows) (NOT from everything.exe)
When I want open a pdf from search results you can send a string (postmessage) to starter.exe und now this little helpprogram can open all files without admin rights.

Until now all files and opened programs have admin rights.
This is very unsafe and other helper programs on my computer do not work (eg strokeit) , because they have no admin rights.

Thank you very much !
helgatheviking

Post by helgatheviking »

I can't really contribute anything to how this should be achieved, but wanted to chime in that that ability to have Everything work without going though UAC control every time would be awesome!
mooms

Post by mooms »

helgatheviking wrote:I can't really contribute anything to how this should be achieved, but wanted to chime in that that ability to have Everything work without going though UAC control every time would be awesome!

It's already doable, you have to create a task (with task scheduler or importing one) that will start Everything with admin privilege without UAC prompt.
It's explained in the FAQ, you can also find custom installers here:

http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/1045 ... -v130632b/
void
Developer

Post by void »

It's already doable, you have to create a task (with task scheduler or importing one) that will start Everything with admin privilege without UAC prompt.
This will remove the UAC prompt, but you still have the issue of "Everything" running elevated and everything you run from "Everything" being elevated.

"Everything" is currently an administrative only tool.
I can not recommend "Everything" for non administrative users...

The service / client modal would fix this, which I plan to have finished for the next major release..
mooms

Post by mooms »

You're right, I'm looking forward for the next major release !