Add macro to limit results only to available drives

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
shawnkhall

Add macro to limit results only to available drives

Post by shawnkhall »

I have many drives connected to my devices, including about a dozen network shares. Sometimes those drives are not available, but they still appear in the results in Everything. This is often very useful, but sometimes it creates a challenge.

I would like to be able to add a macro to the search that would exclude results from drives that are currently unavailable, similar to how "pic:" or "audio:" works now, it would simply exclude any drive that was not currently active or was disconnected. I suggest something like "online:" or "available:" would be effective.

It would also be nice to be able to include only those results from drives that are disconnected, but I don't see myself using that one nearly as much (scanning for backups for lost or damaged files).
void
Developer

Re: Add macro to limit results only to available drives

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback shawnkhall,

I have had an online property on my TODO list for a while..

I will have a online property in the next alpha update.
This will track the online status for FAT, NTFS, ReFS, mapped network drives and network indexes in real-time.
online: will search for indexes that are online.
I will post here again once it is ready for testing.

Thank you for your suggestion.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1296a adds an Online property.

This Online property is updated in real-time for all files and folders.

To search for files/folders that are online, include the following in your search:
online:

To search for files/folders that are offline, include the following in your search:
offline:
-or-
!online:

To view the online status for each file/folder:
  • Right click the Result List column header, under the Index submenu, check Online.
Note: search for root: to list all your drives.
zambonix

Post by zambonix »

Created a forum account just to say Thank You for adding the 'online:' and 'offline:' properties!

I have a huge mess on my hands due to a rushed and disorganized migration to a new machine. Everything is dramatically easing the cleanup process and helping me find files that got misplaced during the move. I used an external drive to do the migration so having it indexed even when disconnected is a huge help when I'm trying to find misplaced files. But when I'm not actively doing cleanup, the offline files make for a very crowded list of search results with many dupes. With the offline: and online: properties I created some filters so I can now control this easily.

Everything is quickly becoming my complete replacement for Windows File Explorer.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback zambonix,

I am glad to hear you find the online properties useful.