Everything New Logo

General discussion related to "Everything".
eagleeyez

Everything New Logo

Post by eagleeyez »

Everything-New-Logo.png
Everything-New-Logo.png (5.69 KiB) Viewed 18065 times
Hi Void,

The main idea is to make the actual everything logo less dull and "simplish" and also I like this tone of orange better and it associates greatly with that range of gray in my opinion... I got another idea a while ago but I cannot remember it right now so maybe another one will be coming.

It's obviously and "e" shaped in magnifier shape... I guess there is not need to explain further.

Open to constructive critics and suggestion.

Cheers to everyone in this amazing community.
Last edited by eagleeyez on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Re: Everything New Logo

Post by void »

Hi Eagleeyez, I like your icon. Thanks for sharing it.

Could I please add it to the Everything Icon pack with your name in the filename?
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

Sure! please do it and I am also open to do any graphic work for this project... I will try to sumbit more stuff too!

Here is the svg attached (it's not optimized though because I left the ability to edit it in illustrator)
Attachments
Everything New Logo.zip
(302.34 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for letting me add your icon to the Everything Icon Pack.

I have included your icon in the Everything Icon Pack with the filename Everything-Eagleeyez.ico.
If you would like a different filename, please let me know.

I converted your SVG to a 256x256 png, and converted that to a 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 64x64, 48x48, 96x96 and 256x256 icon pack.
Hope this is OK.

Thanks for your offer to do graphic work for Everything. However, there's no other graphics needed for Everything at this stage.
In the future I will need some icons made for new toolbars and menus.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

void wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:33 am Thanks for letting me add your icon to the Everything Icon Pack.

I have included your icon in the Everything Icon Pack with the filename Everything-Eagleeyez.ico.
If you would like a different filename, please let me know.

I converted your SVG to a 256x256 png, and converted that to a 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 64x64, 48x48, 96x96 and 256x256 icon pack.
Hope this is OK.

Thanks for your offer to do graphic work for Everything. However, there's no other graphics needed for Everything at this stage.
In the future I will need some icons made for new toolbars and menus.
Your links give me
Information
The requested page could not be found.
ovg

Post by ovg »

horst.epp wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:17 pm Your links give me
Information
Hmm... Strange, working fine for me ...
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

ovg wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:00 pm
horst.epp wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:17 pm Your links give me
Information
Hmm... Strange, working fine for me ...
Now they also work for me :D
V@no

Post by V@no »

Very nice icon, very clever ;)

The information about how to change icon is not complete. It doesn't explain that the provided steps will only work if Everything is pinned to taskbar and not running, otherwise icon from .exe file itself will be shown while Everything is running.

Would be nice if Everything could change it's own icon if for example default.ico file present.
collinchaffin

Post by collinchaffin »

Is there any chance of perhaps adding an option for which program icon to use as I have seen in other apps? Otherwise, as stated the only real way to change the running process icon is to reshack and replace the actual icon resources in the exe, which on top of changing the actual app exe (not something I like to do) then still needs to be re-done upon every single ES update.

I will add that it would also be an opportunity to perhaps at the same time add a 2nd icon option (with of course a fallback default) for a new alternate tray/taskbar running icon when performing specifically the database/folder index update(s), simply switching back to the primary icon upon completion. This is a missing feature today as there is absolutely no visual indicator when my updates occur, including right after startup, that can last several minutes having many drives and additional folders configured and it would be really nice to be able to at a glance see when the updates are done.

I will add that I like this new icon enough to hack the exe for the time being - which is a testament to the design! Nice work!

P.S. For the new design's #2 (updating) icon, my suggestion is to simply fill the entire outlined "e" with perhaps bright red.
tuska

Post by tuska »

eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

Hi Everyone,

I am glad that void like the icon as many other... I've made a tweak to this one and created an .ico file which is smaller and include the different windows dimensions... it looks better since I've made the lines thicker a bit as well ;)

To use it just drop the extracted file into %APPDATA%\Everything\ and restart Everything (or the computer).

Enjoy!
Attachments
Everything.zip
(12.63 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

I also agree with what Collin Chaffin said...

I will be available also to help with the UI icons! (even if I find Everything already great but I like how another project which I love so much as well "Listary" is evolving and I think this is a great direction for everything to follow in term of user-friendliness)

Again, I cannot thank the developer enough for this gem!
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

eagleeyez wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:17 pm I also agree with what Collin Chaffin said...

I will be available also to help with the UI icons! (even if I find Everything already great but I like how another project which I love so much as well "Listary" is evolving and I think this is a great direction for everything to follow in term of user-friendliness)

Again, I cannot thank the developer enough for this gem!
I have a life time Listary Pro license and testing the actual beta
but the search features of Everything are much better than the current Listary.
For the menu features of Listary there are much better free alternatives such as Quick Access Popup.
Also I'm a user of Total Commander file manager which has full integration of Everything.
The current beta of Listary has much less integration of TC and the support of High DPI
display was also better in the previous version.
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

Void,

I really hope that you adopt this new logo as main icon, and I will be capable to provide a set if needed... Windows Systray (black or white version) as well...

The icon make it so distinctive from other utilities who use similar generic magnifying glass... and since I got a new laptop, I will do some graphic work to get my workflow setup once again properly so please ask!
gregor

Post by gregor »

This customizing is not working for me https://www.voidtools.com/support/every ... zing/#icon
I put custom icons (different files from the collection) to D:\Program Files\Everything, \AppData\Roaming\Everything, \AppData\Local\Everything and it's not changed. Also I changed the shortcut icon in the taskbar (from Change Icon in shortcut Properties) and it worked, but only when the program is not running. When Everything opens it displays default icon.
It would be nice to change the logo in all places or implement some other (there are few good icons in the collection).
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

Try renaming the icon file to "Everything-1.5a.ico" or something like the other files in the same folder… it works this way

https://i.imgur.com/LMxhQCS.png
void
Developer

Post by void »

What version of Everything are you using gregor?

Do you have "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" enabled under Tools -> Options -> General?
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

If icon changing is mastered, what I would find very helpful is a search-bar command that changes the icon for the process window.
Like most people I spot and jump to things most easily by colour, and also by placement if the placement is static and distinctive, and if there are several (Everything) windows open for a long while for different search tasks it's useful to customise them to have different icons (i.e. particularly different colours). It's made even worse by the horrible way windows segregates tasks together by exe which is entirely counter-productive in terms of how people work, where you often want items near together or far by how related they are, not by their programs. A searchbar command like
icon:<name/path>
if just the name, it could look in some certain place...
d
gregor

Post by gregor »

Ah ok, my mistake, I didn't change the ico file name, just put the original.
Yes I have store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
So I changed Everything icon with 3 different ways in: 1. opened program, 2. shortcut pinned in taskbar, 3. context menu command.
Anyway, thanks for the hints.