Keep external drive alive by Everything?

General discussion related to "Everything".
moorpipe

Keep external drive alive by Everything?

Post by moorpipe »

My external drive (via USB, NTFS formatted) goes idle after approximately 10 minutes of non activity. The drive is currently included in the NFTS indexes list, which is monitored. I want to keep this drive alive for as long as the computer is up and running. Although Everything is not designed to keep drives alive, but maybe I could include this drive also in the folder index setting to check, let's say, every 5 minutes, to keep it alive? As my computer is kind of instable at the moment, I'm just hesitating to try it for my self. :oops:
SuperDude

Re: Keep external drive alive by Everything?

Post by SuperDude »

You can use a free program called NoSleepHD to keep up to 5 external drives from going idle. I've used it for a few months now, it works exactly as expected. You can get NoSleepHD here:

http://nosleephd.codeplex.com
moorpipe

Post by moorpipe »

Thanks! I'll keep it in mind. Good reviews. But still prefer solution with tools I already have to avoid clutter.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Not the best solution, but maybe you could add a folder index to an empty folder on the drive.

Everything -> Tools -> Options -> Folders -> Add...
Add a folder on the drive, eg: D:\keepalive
Select Update every 5 minutes.
Click OK.
moorpipe

Post by moorpipe »

Tried, didn't work. Don't worry, Everything is still a great program, and amazingly fast. I'll just try the NoSleepHD tool. :)