"Everything" version 1.3.0.629b - indexing

General discussion related to "Everything".
jgt1942

"Everything" version 1.3.0.629b - indexing

Post by jgt1942 »

Indexing questions - I've attempted to set up indexing but it does not seem to be working.
I've clicked Tools > Options > NTFS and I see that my four drives (SSD-Boot (C), S4-Raid5-Q(Q), S4-RAID1-02 (R), and S4-RAID1-01 (S)) are listed. When I click on a drive in the "Local NTFS volumes" window I see that all of the check boxes below the window are checked. If I click on Indexes I see that the Database Location should be in the install folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Everything" but I don't see any database. Why Not?

I then clicked on Folders and added C:\, Q:\, R:\, S:\ , left the check mark in "Attempt to monitor changes" and left the Update at every day at 0300, clicked apply. Everything went into a scan but still I don't see a database and if I start Everything in a new window it scans my entire system.

How in the heck do I get the database and prevent Everything from scanning my entire system (15TB) every time I run it?
void
Developer

Re: "Everything" version 1.3.0.629b - indexing

Post by void »

Everything should save the database when you exit Everything.

Please check your Errorlog.txt for any errors that may have occurred when trying to save the database.
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

AH! I exited Everything and like magic the Everything.db file appeared. Now when I start Everything it is MUCH MUCH MUCH faster!!!!!! YEA!!!!!

Question - Was it necessary for me to add the drives in the Folders tab?

Possible bug when I click Tools > Options > Folder > Add the window that pops up the bottom portion is off my screen and I cannot see the buttons. I can move the window so I can see the buttons but when positioned the entire window should be visible.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Question - Was it necessary for me to add the drives in the Folders tab?
Remove all the folders and use NTFS volumes if you can.
You will need to run "Everything" as administrator to use NTFS indexing.
Possible bug when I click Tools > Options > Folder > Add the window that pops up the bottom portion is off my screen and I cannot see the buttons. I can move the window so I can see the buttons but when positioned the entire window should be visible.
"Windows" controls the position of the add window, it should be position in the middle of the primary display.
What version of "Windows" are you running?
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

"Windows" controls the position of the add window, it should be position in the middle of the primary display.
What version of "Windows" are you running?
Win7 x64 with dual monitors on the system with the window position issue (I have not tried it on my Win8 system). I had the Everything window on the second monitor, I moved it to the primary display and I still have the issue.
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

You will need to run "Everything" as administrator to use NTFS indexing.
If I right-click on the Everything.exe file and select run as administrator the DB is loaded and Everything pops up super fast and does not scan my drives. Normally while I'm in my file manager (xplorer2) I just right-click on the folder I want to search and then Everything scans my entire system. Is there anyway I can "run as admin" when invoke Everything like this?

I just closed all occurenances of Everything and did the right-click on a folder and selected Everything. This time it loaded the DB and did not scan my system. I just right-clicked on Everything.exe, selected properties, clicked on the Comparability tab and checked "Run this program as an administrator" - Suggestion - can you add this as an install option? Or perhaps just make this the default.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have just tested the positioning of the browse for folder window on Windows 7 x64 on a dual display setup with no issues.
The window is positioned in the middle of the display that currently has the focused window.

You will be able to install the Everything service in the next release which will allow you to run the Everything client without administrator privileges.
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

Big Thanks

Windows positioning issue - possibly (highly) something I'm running on my system. I'll try to ck it in a few days. I'm in the middle of a few high priority projects. Typically I run several applications at the same time (currently about 25) and some have multiple windows open (Chrome has at least 30) while I do my research and update my presentations and other files.

Again big thanks for your efforts, I'd be lost without Everything, I use it numerous times each day!
I just made a small donation toward your efforts, hopefully others will do the same.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the support!