Question about open source

General discussion related to "Everything".
fish

Question about open source

Post by fish »

I spoke with an old time forum lurker. He told me there was talk about open sourcing the project before, several years ago, which did not lead to anything.

After having heard that i'm sad and disappointed now.

Should i listen to the lurker and not get my hopes up?

Feels like somebody just popped my balloon :(

So how will it be developer ?
Will you do the same thing this time too ?

I have waited a while now, i have not seen any more news about making it a open source project.

You need to talk to us more, please.
therube

Re: Question about open source

Post by therube »

I don't think Void had ever spoken of "open source" in the past?
It was only members here that were wanting.

> that i'm sad and disappointed now

Why?

> not get my hopes up?

Hopes up for what?

Were you intending to create your own "everything"?
If so, why have you not yet done it, or at least attempted, with or without source from Everything?

In any case, & who knows what may or what may not come of it, I want to open source Everything.
fish

Post by fish »

> I don't think Void had ever spoken of "open source" in the past?
If it is not found on this forum, It could have been deleted. It could also have come from a private e--mail conversation.
I have not checked the forum or asked for the source.

Decided to ask the author directly and surprise, no answer. Which matches up with what the forum lurker said.

> Why?
Saying you're going to do something and not do it. Have you not experienced that from somebody? It gets old and disappointing pretty fast.

> Hopes up for what?
The subject is open source. How is that not clear?
Hopes up for everything to become an open source project.

If the author ever disappears again, the project can continue, live on and bugs can still get fixed.
The dependence of the original author is removed.

If a bug is annoying you and the author do not have time to fix it than you can fix it yourself and send a patch.
Open source is a very good solution.

> Were you intending to create your own "everything"?
> If so, why have you not yet done it, or at least attempted, with or without source from Everything?

I have never seen the point in reinventing the wheel. Open source is a very good thing, i think, that is all.
I enjoy greatly to read source code especially if it is from a program which i use often. I also enjoy working on open source projects which i use.

Is this a fear the author have about open sourcing the project, that clones based on the source code will popup ?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have not decided to open source Everything yet.

I would like to wait until Everything is out of beta before I make any decision on this subject.

That said, I would like to open source Everything, but I can not promise anything yet.