Separating indices

General discussion related to "Everything".
jeth

Separating indices

Post by jeth »

Hi,

If I manage to search my external drives (I'll have try attaching it via USB instead of the CAT-5 as it is right now) can I create an index and keep it separate from the one on my desktop?

Actually, it probably would be nice to be able to have separate indices for any removable drive or other device, and then just select that index when you plug a specific device in.

Thanks....
jeth

Re: Separating indices

Post by jeth »

Unfortunately my idea of an alternate connection method for my DLink storage bay wasn't based on how the device actually works. :(

The USB port on the back is just for connecting a USB printer; "not" for connecting it to the PC. Oh well.......

But the idea of keeping separate, and selectable indices for different devices would still be a good idea.
kmc

Post by kmc »

The new "EFU" file in the new 1.3.x version will do the trick. The problem is that Everything doesn't index FAT system (for you USB key, e.g.)
jeth

Post by jeth »

Thanks for response.....I'll have to read up some more about that.

I guess if Everything could search anything via the Windows file access mechanisms, it would solve many problems, but at the cost of losing the speed, which wouldn't be a good solution.

I searched the other night for alternatives to handle the network drive bay, and other external devices, but found nothing that would come close to the simplicity of use as well as Everything does.