JumpToFolder - Use the power of Everything in File Managers and File dialogs

General discussion related to "Everything".
horst.epp

Re: JumpToFolder - Use the power of Everything in File Managers and File dialogs

Post by horst.epp » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:45 pm

Mosed wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:24 pm
Also in the previous version we had to run an exe to activate Jumptofolder. Where is the difference to the new version? The exe contains also the code for the jumping itself I assume, but you had to trust in the exe anyway. Right?
The exe is the compiled AHK script.
You can also download the master source if you want to compile it yourself.

NotNull

Re: JumpToFolder - Use the power of Everything in File Managers and File dialogs

Post by NotNull » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:45 pm

The exe in the older versions was a renamed AutoHotkey.exe. If you would check that against VirusTotal, that would be considered safe.

And *I thought* AutoHotkey.exe itself was signed, which turned out to be false.
I do trust signed executables (unless common sense tells me otherwise)
A compiled ahk will be unsigned, unless you sign it yourself.

thepauler

Post by thepauler » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:59 pm

Mosed wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:15 pm
thepauler wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:22 pm
I use directory opus, but for some reason I haven't had any luck getting this to work in Windows 11. I'll try again with this release and report back.
For me it works. Also 1.0.6 worked for DOpus 12.x.
Thanks. I must be missing something because it's not showing up on the context menu. I've always made a lot of use of the "Search Everything" and lately the "index this" plugin. At any rate, here's my ini file. Seems to be set up correctly.

Code: Select all

[JumpToFolder]
everything_exe=C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe
sort_by=Run Count
sort_ascending=0
contextmenu_text=Jump to Folder ...
contextmenu_icon=C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe,0
detected_everything_version=1.4
everything_instance=""
debug=0

Mosed

Post by Mosed » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:57 pm

Perhaps you have to uninstall and install again via the exe file?

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:00 pm

There is no need for the context menu.
You can just make a hotkey which starts
JumpToFolder.exe -jump

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:30 pm

thepauler wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:59 pm
Thanks. I must be missing something because it's not showing up on the context menu.
Assuming you already (1) started JumpToFolder.exe, (2) went to the Settings tab, (3) selcted Action = Save & install context menu and (4) clicked the OK button.

The right-click context menu is not available everywhere. For example, it is not available when you right-click a foldername.
Try right-clicking on an empty space in the list of files in File Explorer, like inside any of the orange rectangles in the screenshot.
This should open the context menu with JumpToFolder.

Are you using a different file manager?
Attachments
2022-04-04 18_19_36-C__Tools_JumpToFolder.png
2022-04-04 18_19_36-C__Tools_JumpToFolder.png (22.18 KiB) Viewed 7059 times

thepauler

Post by thepauler » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:11 pm

NotNull wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:30 pm
thepauler wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:59 pm
Thanks. I must be missing something because it's not showing up on the context menu.
Assuming you already (1) started JumpToFolder.exe, (2) went to the Settings tab, (3) selcted Action = Save & install context menu and (4) clicked the OK button.

The right-click context menu is not available everywhere. For example, it is not available when you right-click a foldername.
Try right-clicking on an empty space in the list of files in File Explorer, like inside any of the orange rectangles in the screenshot.
This should open the context menu with JumpToFolder.

Are you using a different file manager?
Well, I feel like an idiot. It's working fine in dopus when I use the program correctly. Thanks for the help!

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:18 pm

You're welcome!
(and don't feel like an idiot; that is *my* job ;) ( the description wasn't very clear; will update ))

As dopus was only briefly tested: does all work as expected or do you encounter issues/strange behaviour?

thepauler

Post by thepauler » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:24 pm

NotNull wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:18 pm
As dopus was only briefly tested: does all work as expected or do you encounter issues/strange behaviour?
Yep. I've tested it several times and it's not causing any issues I can see. Selecting the directory in Everything opens up the path in dopus, reusing the same lister I have open. Seems solid!

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:55 pm

Thanks!

Do you have 'Explorer Replacement' enabled for all folders?
(Under Menu:Settings > Preferences > Launching Opus > Explorer Replacement)

thepauler

Post by thepauler » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:27 pm

NotNull wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:55 pm
Thanks!

Do you have 'Explorer Replacement' enabled for all folders?
(Under Menu:Settings > Preferences > Launching Opus > Explorer Replacement)
Yep. Sure do!

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:35 pm

Thank you! That means 3 Dopus users without issues.
One less thing to worry about ..

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:36 am

I made a special entry for QuickSwitch and JumpToFolder in the XYplorer "Other software" forum.
and in the Total Commander "Plugins and addons" forum.
Currently there are only a short header and links to the Everything forum entries.

https://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic ... 14#p198114
https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic. ... 25#p411625

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:15 pm

O, wow. Thank you! :thumbsup:
(I did not get around to posting on the other forums as this all takes a lot of time)

burgundy

Post by burgundy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:46 pm

I have just become aware of JumpToFolders but can't make it work with WinXP.

I downloaded from the link in the opening post of this thread and followed the instructions there. However when I right click the list of files in Windows Explorer, there is no entryy for JumpToFolder.

Can anyone kindly advise how to get this working?

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:13 pm

• 32-bit WinXP or 64-bit WinXP?
    You need to download the matching version of JumpToFolder.
  • Is there a JumpToFolder.ini in the folder where JumpToFolder is located?
    What are the contents of that file?
  • Where did you right-click?
    Right-click in one of the locations indicated by the orange boxes
    (try it for example inside the C:\Windows folder in File Explorer/ Windows Explorer)
(I do no longer have a WinXP machine, so can't test)

burgundy

Post by burgundy » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:21 am

Hi NotNull,

Thank you for your useful reply. I am using 32-bit Windows XP and downloaded the correct ZIP. I right-click the hot spots indicated in your image but I do not get any context menu entry for JumpToFolder.
NotNull wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:13 pm
[*]Is there a JumpToFolder.ini in the folder where JumpToFolder is located?
What are the contents of that file?
Below is the content of my jumptofolder.ini
[JumpToFolder]
everything_exe=C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5\Everything.exe
also_search_files=1
sort_by=Run Count
sort_ascending=0
contextmenu_text=Jump to Folder ...
contextmenu_icon=C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5\Everything.exe,0
detected_everything_version=1.5
everything_instance=""
debug=0
What could be going wrong?

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:53 am

There is no real need for the context menu.
JumpToFolder.exe -jump

burgundy

Post by burgundy » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:21 am

horst.epp wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:53 am
JumpToFolder.exe -jump
The shortcut item for that hotkey is created as part of the installation and resides in the folder I have for Everything/JumpToFolder. When I click it, it launches Everything 1.5. That's all. I don't see anything related to JumpToFolder.

Perhaps there is something wrong with my Everything 1.5 installation, if that "-jump" parameter should have made it do something?

I'm on version 1.5.0.1315a (x86).

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:17 pm

burgundy wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:21 am
horst.epp wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:53 am
JumpToFolder.exe -jump
The shortcut item for that hotkey is created as part of the installation and resides in the folder I have for Everything/JumpToFolder. When I click it, it launches Everything 1.5. That's all. I don't see anything related to JumpToFolder.

Perhaps there is something wrong with my Everything 1.5 installation, if that "-jump" parameter should have made it do something?

I'm on version 1.5.0.1315a (x86).
Of course it launches Everything.
You have to assign an hotkey to this shortcut.
If you start the shortcut with the hotkey while in a supported file manager or app,
you can select an item (file or dir) in this Everything window and hit enter or double click it.
Your file manager or dialog should now positioned to this selected dir or file and the Everything window closes.

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:56 pm

Step 1:
When you open the context menu, you should see the New > Text document/Folder/Shortcut, etc.
If not: this is the wrong place to right-click. Try it in the C:\Windows folder.

If still not working, Step 2:
- In Windows Explorer, browse to the location of JumpToFolder.exe
- Start JumpToFolder.exe
- Go to the Settings tab
- Check your settings, especially the path to your Everything.exe (they seem OK, based on your INI)
- Make sure Action == Save & Install Context menu
- Press the OK button
- Test the context menu in Windows Explorer

If still not working, Step 3:
- Start CMD.exe
- Paste the following command and press ENTER

reg.exe query HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\JumpToFolder\Command
- Paste the results here.

burgundy

Post by burgundy » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:16 pm

NotNull wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:56 pm
Step 1:
When you open the context menu, you should see the New > Text document/Folder/Shortcut, etc.
If not: this is the wrong place to right-click. Try it in the C:\Windows folder.

If still not working, Step 2:
- In Windows Explorer, browse to the location of JumpToFolder.exe
- Start JumpToFolder.exe
- Go to the Settings tab
- Check your settings, especially the path to your Everything.exe (they seem OK, based on your INI)
- Make sure Action == Save & Install Context menu
- Press the OK button
- Test the context menu in Windows Explorer

If still not working, Step 3:
- Start CMD.exe
- Paste the following command and press ENTER

reg.exe query HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\JumpToFolder\Command
- Paste the results here.
Sadly it is still not working. Below are my results for the three steps you suggested.

Step 1. The context menu appears and there are entries under "New" but there is not one for Everything.

Step 2. I have done this before I posted my question and I have repeated it again now, but it does not provide a context menu entry.

Step 3 gives the following.
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Nemo>reg.exe query HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\JumpTo

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\JumpToFolder\Command
<NO NAME> REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5\JumpToFolder.exe" -jump
If I go to the registry, I see the following three entries:
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
Icon REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5\Everything.exe",0
MuiVerb REG_SZ Jump to Folder ...

DaWolfi

Post by DaWolfi » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:52 pm

@notnull
Here is a customized version of JumpToFolder where I integrated my latest changes from QuickSwitch
(Added new types of file dialogs)

JumpToFolder_1.0.8dw.zip
(634.44 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:09 pm

DaWolfi wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:52 pm
@notnull
Here is a customized version of JumpToFolder where I integrated my latest changes from QuickSwitch

JumpToFolder_1.0.8dw.zip
Compiled and succesfully tested with Total Commander, XYPlorer, Free Commander, AkelPad

Setignano

Post by Setignano » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:36 pm

Hi NotNull, thank you so much for this utility which I find extremely practical and useful indeed.
I use XYplorer quite a lot for some specific tasks (not for searching... : where I prefer Everything instead, and BTW I'm very excited about this 1.5 version which will be a huge game changer for me (and maybe will even make me switch back to Total Commander... since I believe ET is now integrated to TC (haven't used TC in the last few years)) - anyway, for the moment being I would really like to use JumpToFolder in XYplorer, but I couldn't figure out how to do that (I have read your explanations in the "Advanced options" section where you show how to create a custom button on the button bar of TC (which I've tried, and works fine for me) - but what about XYplorer ? I guess I'll need a custom button too, but what should be the script for that ? (I've tried opening a Command Prompt in the installation folder of JumpToFolder with:
JumpToFolder.exe -jump C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll,23
- which gives me an alert box from JumpToFolder saying "This is not (yet) supported in cmd.exe .." - so at that point I got stuck. Thank you in advance for any hint!

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:55 am

This User defined button does it.
Just set the command to run on left click:
run "C:\Tools\Everything\JumpToFolder\JumpToFolder.exe -jump";
Of course with your path to JumpFolder.exe.

You can also store it as a User command and add a hotkey to it.

Personaly I do it with a global hotkey tool or a button on my logitech keyboard.

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:03 pm

DaWolfi wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:52 pm
Still have to look at this (will take a couple of weeks), but in the meantime, would you do me a favor?
I wrote a little helper program that analyzes dialog windows (it is what I used to find a good algorithm for all dialogs up to this point). It would be very helpful if you could run this against these new dialogs and send me the results.

How-to:
  • Download DiagnoseDialog.exe
  • Run it
  • Open dialog
  • Press 'WIN + Z'
  • Press the Export button
  • Repeat for other relevant dialogs
  • Exit DiagnoseDialog (right-click the system tray icon and select Exit)
DiagnoseDialog.ahk is also available, if you prefer that
(I don't blame you if you don't trust/run code from some random dude/dudette on the internet)

gawkla

Post by gawkla » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:19 am

Hi dev
Do you think about possibility to have FolderJump search always active (like in listary)? Or to glue FolderJump as icon directly to dialog? It will allow to almost immediately typing the path to search without activating context menu and selecting "FolderJump" option.
Keyboard is not always an option because if using mouse it also need to move hands to keyboard.

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:17 pm

gawkla wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:19 am
Hi dev
Do you think about possibility to have FolderJump search always active (like in listary)? Or to glue FolderJump as icon directly to dialog? It will allow to almost immediately typing the path to search without activating context menu and selecting "FolderJump" option.
Keyboard is not always an option because if using mouse it also need to move hands to keyboard.
Using the enhanced QuickSwitch (link above) you have that logic
as it comes up automatically in dialogs and contains a button to start JumpToFoler.

Btw. how will you enter any search without using a keyboard ?
This will only allow to start bookmarks or filters.

gawkla

Post by gawkla » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:02 pm

thanks! i will try. It is OK to use keyboard to enter search string. I know that it is only additional "ctrl+j", but if you have to use this combination many times every day... :)

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:14 am

gawkla wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:02 pm
thanks! i will try. It is OK to use keyboard to enter search string. I know that it is only additional "ctrl+j", but if you have to use this combination many times every day... :)
In the QuickSwitch method you don't need the Ctrl-J, there is a button for JumpToFolders :)

DaWolfi

Post by DaWolfi » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:47 pm

NotNull wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:03 pm
Still have to look at this (will take a couple of weeks), but in the meantime, would you do me a favor?
I wrote a little helper program that analyzes dialog windows (it is what I used to find a good algorithm for all dialogs up to this point). It would be very helpful if you could run this against these new dialogs and send me the results.

How-to:
  • Download DiagnoseDialog.exe
  • Run it
  • Open dialog
  • Press 'WIN + Z'
  • Press the Export button
  • Repeat for other relevant dialogs
  • Exit DiagnoseDialog (right-click the system tray icon and select Exit)
DiagnoseDialog.ahk is also available, if you prefer that
(I don't blame you if you don't trust/run code from some random dude/dudette on the internet)
Well, I think I can trust you on this one... :D
Here you are!

Dialog types.zip
(2.35 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

DaWolfi

Post by DaWolfi » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:13 pm

I've made some minor changes to be able to use Ctrl+J from "Move to" and "Copy to" folder dialogs.

JumpToFolder_1.0.8dw2.zip
(630.65 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:36 pm

DaWolfi wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:47 pm
Well, I think I can trust you on this one... :D
Here you are!
Thank you! (for the dialog info as well as the trust :D)

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:58 pm

DaWolfi wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:13 pm
I've made some minor changes to be able to use Ctrl+J from "Move to" and "Copy to" folder dialogs.
Works fine here with CopyTo and MoveTo in Explorer.
Listary Pro 6.0.9.25
XYplorer 23.40.0013
QAP 11.5.7.9.4 beta x64