Find and Select

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
void
Developer

Find and Select

Post by void »

Everything 1.5 adds a Find and Select dialog.

The Select Filter allows the user to select existing results that match specific criteria.

The Select Filter dialog, after clicking OK, any files/folders containing foo in the filename will be selected.

To show the Select Filter:

Set the filter to a partial filename search.
Include a path separator (\ or /) to match full paths.
Otherwise, only the basename is searched.

Include a * ** or ? wildcard to match the whole filename.

* = match any character (except \ or /) any number of times.
** = match any character any number of times.
? = match a single character.

Regular expressions can be enabled to override partial/wildcard searching.
Prefix your search with regex: or check the Regular expressions checkbox to enable.

To focus the next selection:

To focus the previous selection:

To set a different keyboard shortcut to show the select filter dialog:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Keyboard tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show commands containing, search for: select
  • Select Edit | Select Filter
  • Click Add....
  • Press a new keyboard shortcut and click OK.
  • Click OK.
void
Developer

Re: Find and Select

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1339a makes the following changes to Find and Select:

Renamed from Select Filter to Find and Select.

Fixed an issue with selecting mixed/run-history/recent-change sorted results.
Fixed an issue with folders only being set when opening a new search window.
Fixed an issue with calculating the total selection size.

Search history now obeys your Tools -> Options -> History -> Enable Search History setting.
Previous search history can be cleared under Tools -> Options -> History -> Search History -> Clear Now.

Added a customizable command to focus the next/previous selection (F4 / Shift + F4 by default)

Added debug logs.

Added Alt keyboard shortcuts.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1340a improves the performance of selecting the next/previous selected item.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1341a changes the default keyboard shortcut from Ctrl + Shift + A to: Ctrl + Shift + F
Kort

Post by Kort »

void wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:57 am Everything 1.5.0.1341a changes the default keyboard shortcut from Ctrl + Shift + A to: Ctrl + Shift + F
Hi Void, I just updated to Everything 1.5.0.1341a and there seems to be something strange with the new keyboard shortcuts for both Find and Select and Advanced Search.

After installing this latest version, my keyboard shortcuts didn't change automatically. The Options > Keyboard still showed Search | Advanced Search as shortcut Ctrl+Shift+F (Global) and Edit | Find and Search as shortcut Ctrl+Shift+A (Global).

When I pressed the Restore Defaults button, the keyboard shortcuts were remapped but not fully as I was expecting, per your post above. Now I see Search | Advanced Search command mapped to F2 (Search Edit), yet pressing F2 still works for renaming files (preferred) but appears to be double mapped with the File | Rename command with the shortcut of F2 (Results List). However, the Edit | Find and Select was remapped to Ctrl+Shift+F (Global) as expected and now matches your change in 1341a.

As a related observation with the drop-down menus, the Search menu shows the Advanced Search command (as expected) but the Edit menu does not show the Find and Select command (not as expected), was that intentional? If so, the only way to invoke the Find and Select command is with the Ctrl+Shift+F shortcut, correct?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Sorry I missed your post Kort,

F2 will only open the Advanced Search only from the Search box.

The Edit menu now contains Find and Select...