Folders Sidebar / Treeview

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
void
Developer

Folders Sidebar / Treeview

Post by void »

Everything 1.5 adds a folders sidebar.
Also known as the treeview.

The folders sidebar allows the user:
  • Browse the indexed folder structure.
  • Quickly limit the search results to a specific folder (and subfolders).

(folders sidebar shown on the left side of the window)

To show the folders sidebar:

The folders sidebar can be moved by dragging the pane title.
(for example: drag the folders sidebar to the right side of the window)

The active folder is currently shown in the statusbar on the right.

Multiple folders can be selected at the same time.
Hold down Shift to select a range.
Hold down Ctrl to toggle a selection.

The active selection can be set from the command line with -explore <path>
-or-
By drag-dropping a file or folder onto the folders sidebar title bar.

To show only files/folders directly in the selected folder:
  • In the folders sidebar pane, uncheck Subfolders.

To temporarily add the folder sidebar with your search:
add-layout:folders

To hide the expand button to the left of the Everything item:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Advanced tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show settings containing, search for:
    treeview
  • Select treeview_everything_expand_button.
  • Set the value to: false
  • Click OK.
This can make it difficult to see if the Everything item is expanded or not.
Generally, the Everything item is always expanded.

Double click the Everything item to expand/collapse.
-or-
Right click the Everything item and click Expand/Collapse.

Hiding the expand button will remove the padding from the left of the folder sidebar.

To add an "Explore in Everything..." context menu item to folders, please see:
Explore in Everything context menu item
raccoon

Re: Folder Sidebar / Treeview

Post by raccoon »

your screenshot is missing the pane title. (the thing to drag to the right side)
p.s. i still think pane titles should show the OCR_SIZEALL cursor when moused over.
void
Developer

Post by void »

your screenshot is missing the pane title. (the thing to drag to the right side)
Updated image.

p.s. i still think pane titles should show the OCR_SIZEALL cursor when moused over.
I would like to avoid changing the cursor on mouseover.
The next alpha update will show the sizeall cursor when dragging the pane title bar.
At some stage I would like to make the panes undockable and have the panes follow the cursor when dragged.

Thank you for your suggestions.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Some ideas, which maybe are already present or planned -
* TEMPORARY HIGHLIGHTS - It would be very useful to have temporary highlights, where you can make certain folder names or icons glow some colour where you are heavily working with them, and remove highlights (one or all) in a transient way.
* BULK CHANGE ICONS - Maybe also a way of permanently giving folders an appearance. There seems to be a deficiency here in windows in that currently if you multi-select folders (whether in Everything or Explorer) and in the resulting multiple properties box change the icon, only one of the folders is changed, rather than all.
* SAVE STATE - Save the Everything state (with a name) for returning to at a later point, as we probably all have projects we hop around between. This would be particularly useful in regards to the folder pane but would save all aspects of state (such as pane sizes and visibilities and transient highlights) and even the selected files.
* DEPTH - Currently when you are clicking a Folder you'll either want to see all child items (including in sub folders), or just the direct children, but sometimes something more complex, particularly items of the subfolders. These seem to be presently covered by parent:<foldername> or parents:<folder depth> but they're a bit clumsy for this use as the first requires requoting the folder you're in and the second involves calculating the active folder depth, and they don't cover multiply selected folders of differing depth. When in the folder pane it would be useful to have parent: on its own with no parameter to represent items directly in the selected Folders, and to have some version of parents: that is computed relative to the selected folders, let's call it depth: so you could have folders selected that are of different selected depths in the Folder tree and choosing depth:1 would apply the search depth relative to each.
* FOLDER MENU FROM FILE - On a related front it would be very useful to be able to access the Folder menu from a file as this would save locating the folder and right-clicking it, particularly an issue either when the folder pane isn't open or has been mouse-wheel scrolled or the file in the results is in some subfolder of the active folder.
* I saw there's multiselect in the Folder Tree - that's great to be there!
Cheers very much :) David
void
Developer

Post by void »

* TEMPORARY HIGHLIGHTS - It would be very useful to have temporary highlights, where you can make certain folder names or icons glow some colour where you are heavily working with them, and remove highlights (one or all) in a transient way.
I will consider custom colors by filters / temporary highlighting.

* BULK CHANGE ICONS - Maybe also a way of permanently giving folders an appearance. There seems to be a deficiency here in windows in that currently if you multi-select folders (whether in Everything or Explorer) and in the resulting multiple properties box change the icon, only one of the folders is changed, rather than all.
You can set folder icons the same way you would in Windows Explorer via the Desktop.ini
You may need to hit F5 to update icon cache.

* SAVE STATE - Save the Everything state (with a name) for returning to at a later point, as we probably all have projects we hop around between. This would be particularly useful in regards to the folder pane but would save all aspects of state (such as pane sizes and visibilities and transient highlights) and even the selected files.
I would like to add an 'address' option to bookmarks.
I will add some commands to at least make this possible in the next alpha update with an /explore search command.

* DEPTH - Currently when you are clicking a Folder you'll either want to see all child items (including in sub folders), or just the direct children, but sometimes something more complex, particularly items of the subfolders. These seem to be presently covered by parent:<foldername> or parents:<folder depth> but they're a bit clumsy for this use as the first requires requoting the folder you're in and the second involves calculating the active folder depth, and they don't cover multiply selected folders of differing depth. When in the folder pane it would be useful to have parent: on its own with no parameter to represent items directly in the selected Folders, and to have some version of parents: that is computed relative to the selected folders, let's call it depth: so you could have folders selected that are of different selected depths in the Folder tree and choosing depth:1 would apply the search depth relative to each.
There is a subfolders checkbox at the bottom of the folder sidebar.
When checked, only files directly in the active folder sidebar selection are shown.

I plan to move this to a 'subfolders button' at the top of the folder sidebar (I need to work on an icon renderer first)

I will look into adding a 'depth' filter.

* FOLDER MENU FROM FILE - On a related front it would be very useful to be able to access the Folder menu from a file as this would save locating the folder and right-clicking it, particularly an issue either when the folder pane isn't open or has been mouse-wheel scrolled or the file in the results is in some subfolder of the active folder.
This is on my TODO list.
Currently only basic commands are shown (such as open, cut, copy, paste, delete, rename and properties) when right clicking a file -> Parent Folder

* I saw there's multiselect in the Folder Tree - that's great to be there!
Cheers very much :) David
I am considering checkboxes to select multiple folders.
Checkboxes may make it easier to select multiple folders and more obvious multi folders can be selected.

The Folder sidebar is still evolving, it was quite a technical challenge to get the folder sidebar to the current state.

Thank you for your suggestions.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Thanks so much!

Can the Folder checkboxes be optional? I know many would love them, I'm one of those who find them cluttering. I'm not sure how others view them, I suspect there's a good contingent on either side of the preferences.

I was thinking also, the "Folders" title could have a left or right-click to have common adjustments (such as only showing depth:0 (direct children), depth:1, depth:all, checkboxes, root as active folder etc). The right-click could be placed in a different place if the GUI changes and could be on a discreet menu symbol there.

I bet it is challenging! I know just how much some programming tasks can be quite mind spinners, especially when they become quite abstract or complex. Then you get to look back and think "wow - I/we really did it!" :)

David
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

One more thing - when choosing a Folder it may conflict with a path in the search bar that's for an entirely different path and so produce no results.
There are probably several possible resolutions but the easiest one would be just to ignore the search bar entirely if it has a conflicting path but to utilise it if it's viable - perhaps dim its text when it's being ignored?

David
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

meteorquake wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:46 am One more thing - when choosing a Folder it may conflict with a path in the search bar that's for an entirely different path and so produce no results.
There are probably several possible resolutions but the easiest one would be just to ignore the search bar entirely if it has a conflicting path but to utilise it if it's viable - perhaps dim its text when it's being ignored?
That is a terrible "Don't do what I say, but do what I want" idea.

Menu:History > Home (ALT + HOME) does not reset the folder(s) selected in the treeview.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Just tested if the Folders pane respects the allow_ xx (copy, drag_drop, ...) settings by changing their values to =0.
It does. One exception:

Right-drop a folder from the folders bar to the search bar works (= able to set search).
Right-drop a folder from the resultlist to the search bar does not.

I don't have an opinion if this is a good or a bad thing; just testing.
(Unfortunately no more time to figure out the details, but decided to report it anyway)
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

I should give a scenario for the Folder-search conflict issue I raised...
I tend to launch Everything from a context, so it will have a search path filled in and possibly a (non-path) file filter.
If I now use the Folder pane to browse onto a different folder (eg a sibling) I'm obviously wanted to abandon that context, but currently I have to not only choose the new folder but also remove the path in the search box too that conflicts with choosing the folder...
David
void
Developer

Post by void »

Can the Folder checkboxes be optional?
I would like to have checkboxes disabled by default.
Or, perhaps use the system setting 'Use checkboxes to select items'

I was thinking also, the "Folders" title could have a left or right-click to have common adjustments (such as only showing depth:0 (direct children), depth:1, depth:all, checkboxes, root as active folder etc). The right-click could be placed in a different place if the GUI changes and could be on a discreet menu symbol there.
I will consider a right click menu.
I would like to add some right click options to the 'Everything' entry.
I'm currently also testing a folder sidebar toolbar.
For Everything 1.5, the folder sidebar will be as simple as possible.

One more thing - when choosing a Folder it may conflict with a path in the search bar that's for an entirely different path and so produce no results.
I'm aware of the issue.
An address bar next to the search box might help here.

Just tested if the Folders pane respects the allow_ xx (copy, drag_drop, ...) settings by changing their values to =0.
Currently, the folder sidebar ignores the allow_dragdrop setting.
This will be fixed in the next alpha update.

Thank you for the suggestions.
tuska

Post by tuska »

meteorquake wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:46 am One more thing - when choosing a Folder it may conflict with a path in the search bar
that's for an entirely different path and so produce no results.
If I exit "Folder Sidebar / Treeview" then I would ask for an option,
which then allows the view to revert back to:
  1. Tools -> Options... -> Home -> e.g. Filter: According to tooltip: "Use this filter when opening a new search window".
  2. Remove the path in the footer *)
Currently, "Everything" must first be clicked in the "Folder Sidebar" to achieve this goal.

*) I would also like to note that in the "Folder Sidebar" with a long path, e.g. >259 characters, all other information in the footer,
such as objects (files, folders), file size, active filter, are no longer visible.
I therefore suggest limiting the display of the path.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

tuska wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:42 am *) I would also like to note that in the "Folder Sidebar" with a long path, e.g. >259 characters, all other information in the footer,
such as objects (files, folders), file size, active filter, are no longer visible.
Good suggestion!! ;)
NotNull wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:17 pm [...]
BTW, Suggestion to use path ellipsis for the foldername on the statusbar. Or 'prioritize' the other statuses (?) like Match Path. They fall off the statusbar if the folderpath is too long.
(It is on the to-do list)
tuska

Post by tuska »

NotNull wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:33 pm (It is on the to-do list)
Ahh thanks, I had overlooked that.

To be honest, I don't use the "Folder Sidebar" in Everything or Total Commander (since 07/2003) and
I probably won't use it in the future either. I do file operations and renaming with the file manager.

Only when I look in the "Folder Sidebar", I want to go back to where I was before.
Maybe I'll discover something else someday that will make me use the "Folder Sidebar".
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

tuska wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:28 pm ...
To be honest, I don't use the "Folder Sidebar" in Everything or Total Commander (since 07/2003) and
I probably won't use it in the future either. I do file operations and renaming with the file manager.
Thats fully my usage of this functions :)

I'm wondering how poeple try complex file operation using cut and past, including multiple locations.
Thats easier and less error prone in a file manager like Total Commander or others.

For me the beauty of Everything is still its speed, the possible sophisticated searches
and since version 1.5, content and property indexing.

I find all types of complex file management operations are not necessary in a search tool.
I would see much more benefits if the database storage in RAM would be changed
without loosing the speed of course.
Also launcher like features eg. searching processes and bookmarks.

Thats of course only my personal opinion after using Everything from its very first versions.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Same here. Probably not going to use it a lot. But who knows ...

A treeview was suggested quite a few times and as it is in active development atm, the least I can do is to test it to help make it better.

void wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:55 am An address bar next to the search box might help here.
Another idea: don't put the path in the search bar, but select it in the folders bar (even if that isn't visible; it will be in the styatusbar)
analogue to everything.exe -explore "c:\folder" instead of everything.exe -path "c:\folder")
void
Developer

Post by void »

If I exit "Folder Sidebar / Treeview" then I would ask for an option,
which then allows the view to revert back to:

Tools -> Options... -> Home -> e.g. Filter: According to tooltip: "Use this filter when opening a new search window".
Remove the path in the footer *)

Currently, "Everything" must first be clicked in the "Folder Sidebar" to achieve this goal.
I would like Everything to have an 'active folder' that persists, even when the folder sidebar is closed.
There is currently a treeview_clear_selection_on_close ini setting to clear the active selection.

*) I would also like to note that in the "Folder Sidebar" with a long path, e.g. >259 characters, all other information in the footer,
I will trial showing only the basename of the folder selection and limiting the length to 64 characters in the next alpha update.
Thanks for the suggestion.

The status bar item text could be hidden if the address bar is shown.
An address bar is on my TODO list.

Another idea: don't put the path in the search bar, but select it in the folders bar (even if that isn't visible; it will be in the styatusbar)
Yes, I will trial a folder bar / address bar.

analogue to everything.exe -explore "c:\folder" instead of everything.exe -path "c:\folder")
-explore will be available in the next alpha update.

meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Re Folder pane usage, I find it extremely useful. Actually, if it were known just what tasks different users are using Everything for in their projects, or would like to use it for, I'm sure would be a lot of surprises.
For myself, a lot of my files - plant photos and historical material - are categorised, and so sibling folders are related in a way that you often want to browse from one sibling to another or to a parent or child. Being able to click a folder and view it and all its sub folder items as a single view is very useful, since for example the plant photos will be foldered in a taxonomic tree and the 'twigs' (species and subtaxa) themselves subfoldered by location, and often I'll want to view files from a certain point in the tree as a single view, particularly viewing photos of a plant across all its locations, or photos of a genus across all its species. The preview pane and easy changing of thumbnail size is indispensable.
There was a question about cut and pasting, copying and moving. In my case Quick Access folders really need to be accessible so I can drag things in, not scrolled up and down to. There might for example be a quick-folder for misplaced photos which can happen when I've photo'd a plant and quickly snapped another with it, and I'll just drag the misplaced ones in to sort out later. Another folder might be for special reference material. But some misplaced items are related to where they are and I'll want to drag them up the taxonomic tree, which is why the structured folder sidebar is important in conjunction with the old-style flat search results. But equally this is just one project, and I'll have historical projects that like to have their own favourites set, which is why having grouped favourites can be very useful, you choose the group for the project you are working on. Of course there are workarounds - an Explorer folder with lots of shortcuts can emulate this but it's slightly less fluent.
I'll tend to use the keyboard for cut copy and paste when moving to a more distant new location but in many cases I have a file in the clipboard I want to use and not lose and that means I'll often drag-move, which is certainly useful anyway for changing the taxonomic position of a photo in the taxonomic folder tree.
The whole structure is intimately connected to a database, so for example from a plant I can launch reference material about the plant on the right page (eg PDFs, DJVUs), although I quite often move reference material around and when it detects the material is no longer present it has to do a filescan to refind it based on filesize and timestamps etc. I think this is a common problem anyway on computers, it would be useful for Everything to act as a wrapper for launching a file with parameters relocatable based on attributes - perhaps it can already be done - so effectively a call to Everything that instructs it to "Launch the file whose identity is D, name is N, size is X and create time Y and modified time Z, or nearest combination (sequence of identification methods), launching it with parameters P" and this could be used in shortcuts and calls that survive items being moved about, even across memory sticks and volumes, maybe able to generate such a shortcut from Everything on the desktop or assign files within Everything with a named identity so they can be called up by that name eg a call to everything would be to "launch file with named id using parameters P" wherever it happens to have moved to - just thinking aloud...
But ultimately I would like to be able to ditch Explorer, its tree view is a horrible chaotic mess, it cannot do the instant widescale search and viewing Everything can, its status bar has been dumbed down, but it still has a few advantages, the primary one being that its photo thumbnails are very fast from the Exif data; currently I find previewing 10000-30000 photos on Everything is problematic due to slow thumbnails, but it's a task I often have to do as part of assigning identities to them; however I gather Exif thumb-fetching is on the TODOs.
David
tuska

Post by tuska »

void wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:25 am ... There is currently a treeview_clear_selection_on_close ini setting to clear the active selection.
... I will trial showing only the basename of the folder selection and limiting the length to 64 characters in the next alpha update.
Thank you very much for your prompt information and your endeavours! :)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

meteorquake wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:49 am Re Folder pane usage, I find it extremely useful. Actually, if it were known just what tasks different users are using Everything for in their projects,
Sorry but I was stopping reading your post.
This long unstructured and unformated text is simply unreadable.
tuska

Post by tuska »

meteorquake wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:49 am Re Folder pane usage, I find it extremely useful. Actually, if it were known just what tasks different users
are using Everything for in their projects, ...
Perhaps it would be possible for you to define the points you want and express them in some form (bold, bulleted, outlined, etc.).

I think this could increase your chances of getting it implemented as well, and forum readers [like me] could quickly find
what matters to you and what seems important to you.

Please. :)
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Apologies if it seemed that way! My comment wasn't making requests, it was an encouragement for the Folder bar work that's being done. There seemed to be comments that Everything didn't need a Folder pane but should be kept as a simple searcher, so my comment was to underscore the great importance of what's being developed, and also some of the other things already raised (favourites as a separate pane, reading Exif thumbs), by how I am typically using Everything: otherwise abstract development questions can get rather divorced from the real world of how useful they are or aren't to people.
There was one random idea mentioned in it, namely the usage of Everything as a wrapper so you can launch a file+parameters irrespective of it getting moved about, updated, renamed etc.
David
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

DRAGGING TEXT PATH ONTO FOLDER BAR TITLE - Currently you can drag a file onto the folder bar title and it will change the folder tree's current position. With a slight adjustment perhaps it would also accept plain text? I tend to drag text from one app to another (it preserves the clipboard) and currently if I drag a text path from eg notepad2 over the folder bar title nothing happens.
I suppose when you right-click the Folder Bar's title there could also be the menu option "Paste new location" for when a path is in the clipboard.
d
void
Developer

Post by void »

perhaps it would also accept plain text?
This will be available in the next alpha update.

right-click the Folder Bar's title there could also be the menu option "Paste new location"
I'll look into an option to do this.
I would like to add an Address bar at some stage. (you would be able to paste in the address bar)

void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1306 makes a few changes to the folder sidebar:

Added a $exploreineverything("%1") function to the context menu commands.

To open folders in the Everything folder sidebar instead of in Windows Explorer:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Context Menu tab on the left.
  • Select Open (Folders).
  • Change the Command to:
    $exploreineverything("%1")
  • Click OK.
To restore to the default and open folders in Windows Explorer:
  • Select Open (Folders).
  • Change the Command to:
    $exec("%1")
  • Click OK.

Added a $explorepathineverything("%1") function to the context menu commands.

To open folders in the Everything folder sidebar when using Open Path:
  • Select Open Path.
  • Change the Command to:
    $explorepathineverything("%1")
  • Click OK.
To restore to the default and open folders in Windows Explorer when using Open Path:
  • Select Open Path.
  • Change the Command to:
    $openpath("%1")
  • Click OK.

Fixed an issue with the folder sidebar rename edit box being clipped when the window is too small.

Fixed an issue when with CTRL + clicking folder sidebar items.

Fixed an issue with renaming the incorrect item.

Added Explorer Path from Clipboard option to right click menu from the folder sidebar pane titlebar.

Added the option to drag-drop text to the folder sidebar.

Added -explore command line option.
Added -folder-sidebar-subfolders command line option.

Added vector graphic support for the subfolders checkbox.

Only the basenames of the selected folders in the folders sidebar are shown in the status bar.
harryray2

Re: Folders Sidebar / Treeview

Post by harryray2 »

I tried the $exploreineverything("%1") and it opens the sidebar, is there a way of just opening the path in the sidebar when needed rather than it opening each time?

Possibly with a context command such as 'open in sidebar'
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

harryray2 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:02 am is there a way of just opening the path in the sidebar when needed rather than it opening each time?

Possibly with a context command such as 'open in sidebar'
Answer is in the opening post:

void wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:25 am The active selection can be set from the command line with -explore <path>
-or-
By drag-dropping a file or folder onto the folders sidebar title bar.

To show only files/folders directly in the selected folder:

In the folders sidebar pane, uncheck Subfolders.

1304a adds drag drop support and context menu support.

1305a adds New Folder support.

So beside dragging a file/folder to the sidebar's title bar, you can also right-click a file/folder in the result list and select Explore in Everything from the context-menu.

Does this context-menu entry not show up in your situation or didn't you try it?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I had some troubles figuring out an easy way to "get rid of" a selected folder in the folderbar when subfolders is unchecked. Basically to get a list of all files/folders again.

This is what worked:
  • Check subfolders in the folder bar and select the top entry "Everything" in the folder bar.
  • Double-click the selected folder(s) in the status bar
  • Click on a folder in teh folder bar; CTRL-click on that same folder.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I think I've got it but there doesn't seem to be a choice of open in Everything or open in explorer. It appears to be one or the other.
I can't see a specific 'explore in everything' command.

The other problem is that I have minimise on execute enabled, I get round this normally by using shift+enter to keep Everything open but this doesn't work if I'm opening from the file or context menu.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

To be honest, I don't understand much of what you are saying, but I'll try to answer what I think you're asking ...

The Explore in Everything context menu entry will be shown if
1. A file or folder in the result list is right-clicked
- and -
2. The Folder side bar is shown.
- and -
3. You run Everything version 1.5.0.1304 or later.

You can (partialy) define what will be shown in said context menu:
1. Go to MEnu:Tools > Options > General > Context Menu
2. Select the context menu entry of your choice (for example Explore Path)
3. Choose from :
- Show this item
- Show this item when the Shift key is down
- Do not show this item
(the rest should be obvious)

2022-04-09 21_07_54-1.5.0.1307a (x64) Everything - (1.5a).png
2022-04-09 21_07_54-1.5.0.1307a (x64) Everything - (1.5a).png (49.36 KiB) Viewed 88530 times
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, got it...I didn't realise that the side bar had to be open for the context menu entry to appear.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Ah, now I see where my not unerstanding came from:

I think I got it == I think I understand it. And not: I think I have it in my context menu.

All clear now.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1310a improves the folder sidebar.

Added a treeview_match_only_when_shown ini setting.

When enabled, Everything will only match the active folder sidebar selection when it is shown.

To enable treeview_match_only_when_shown:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /treeview_match_only_when_shown=1
  • If successful, treeview_match_only_when_shown=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
froggie

Post by froggie »

"treeview_match_only_when_shown=1" is helpful but it breaks "hide results when search is empty"

With "treeview_match_only_when_shown=1" and any results from treeview, closing treeview will then show all files (with no file count in statusbar)

Closing and reopening the everything window restores normal function.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Can/should these be added to this tooltip too?
2022-04-21 19_13_30-Everything Options.png
2022-04-21 19_13_30-Everything Options.png (12.16 KiB) Viewed 87829 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

"treeview_match_only_when_shown=1" is helpful but it breaks "hide results when search is empty"
I have put this on my things to fix list.

Can/should these be added to this tooltip too?
Yes, I have put this on my TODO list.

meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

From what I gather I think we're fundamentally talking about hide versus close.
Hiding the folder bar it is still active; closing it, it ceases to play a role.
Perhaps there could be two symbols, hide and close, and on hiding some symbol to unhide it, whose presence also indicates it is active.
d
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

A command like ..

Code: Select all

"c:\program files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe" -newwindow
.. opens a new Everything window, but *with* the Folders sidebar enabled.

Don't think I configured it to behave that way, although with added command-line option -instance something the sidebar does not show up.
Just reporting; will do some research.

EDIT: Problem solved; there was a minimized Everything window with the Folder sidebar enabled. The new window must have inherited that.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I like the behavior of /treeview_match_only_when_shown=1, thanks.

Ghost behavior after closing the Folders View seemed rather frustrating and distracted me from playing with it much. Good solution.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1311a fixes an issue with hide empty search results when there is an active folder sidebar selection.

I'm exploring other ways to show this information.
The tooltip is already too bloated.

For now, I will keep Everything Context Menu Commands up to date.

Everything will inherit the existing 'show folder sidebar' setting when creating a new window.
Last edited by NotNull on Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed URL
enduser

Post by enduser »

Is it possible for the folders to not be collapsed when "everything" is launched from the system tray (or when toggling/bringing it to the front using a shortcut), also when a new window is created the folders are collapsed and the folder selected in the previous window is not active to limit the searches in thew new window.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will consider an option to keep the folder sidebar selection.
Thank you for your suggestion.

For now, please consider enabling hide_on_close:
    /hide_on_close=1
  • If successful, hide_on_close=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
Now, when you close Everything it is instead hidden, when you launch a new Everything window, this hidden window is reshown with your folder sidebar selection.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1313a will now dim offline folders in the folder sidebar.

To customize the offline transparency:
    /offline_alpha=128
  • If successful, offline_alpha=128 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
  • where 128 is the transparency in the range from 0 (transparent) to 255 (opaque)
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

I didn't read all above. Tested 1313a. My comments:
1. The name is "Navigation Pane" in Windows
2. I see * works like in Windows, it expand all. In Windows you can also collapse all, by collapse one folder and then press F5.
In addition to Windows way, I suggest to simply press * again to collapse all. (* will work as a toggle - expand/collapse all)
(btw, only the Numeric key * works. Unfortunately, * of Shift+8 isn't an alternative and it doesn't work in laptops haven't Numeric keys. In my experience there will be no harm in doing "Shift+8" works in favor of these laptops.)
3. Enter on a selected folder - I suggest it will go in (like you press with RightArrow)
4. Ctrl+RightLeftArrows - It behaves like in Windows for scrolling. There is a problem with that, when you trying to select multiple folders by using only the keyboard. You select one folder, and then press Ctrl and trying to navigate freely with the arrows, and it won't let you to expand and go in with RightArrow. Enter doesn't work either.
5. Keyboard tab - File | Explore Path in Everything
didn't work for me.
6. Keyboard tab - File | Explore in Everything
Setting this to Enter (and "File | Open" to Shift+Enter), I finally get the experience as in Windows Explorer.
But it works good only for folders. I can't open files with this Enter...

I guess I will try to get the familiar experience and shortcuts of Windows in Everything.
Navigation mode vs Search mode?
WExplorer mode vs Everything mode?

7. Consider let using "Selection rectangle" for multiple selection by mouse.
8. Keep in mind that when "View > Toggle LTR/RTL direction" you might need to toggle also the tree direction.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback Stamimail,
1. The name is "Navigation Pane" in Windows
I will consider using the name: Navigation pane.
Previous versions of Windows Explorer used "Folders".

Currently, the folder sidebar in Everything is less about navigation and more about filtering.
This might change with the addition of an address bar.

2. I see * works like in Windows, it expand all. In Windows you can also collapse all, by collapse one folder and then press F5.
In addition to Windows way, I suggest to simply press * again to collapse all. (* will work as a toggle - expand/collapse all)
(btw, only the Numeric key * works. Unfortunately, * of Shift+8 isn't an alternative and it doesn't work in laptops haven't Numeric keys. In my experience there will be no harm in doing "Shift+8" works in favor of these laptops.)
I have put on my TODO list to add a keyboard shortcut to collapse all.
What about a context menu item to expand all / collapse all?

3. Enter on a selected folder - I suggest it will go in (like you press with RightArrow)
I will consider an on ENTER action ini setting.
Users might also want to focus the search box or result list.

4. Ctrl+RightLeftArrows - It behaves like in Windows for scrolling. There is a problem with that, when you trying to select multiple folders by using only the keyboard. You select one folder, and then press Ctrl and trying to navigate freely with the arrows, and it won't let you to expand and go in with RightArrow. Enter doesn't work either.
I will look into Ctrl + keypad + or Ctrl + Enter to expand.

5. Keyboard tab - File | Explore Path in Everything
didn't work for me.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Everything is sometimes selecting the incorrect folder.
I will post a fix soon.
The issue occurs with both explore path and explore.

6. Keyboard tab - File | Explore in Everything
Setting this to Enter (and "File | Open" to Shift+Enter), I finally get the experience as in Windows Explorer.
But it works good only for folders. I can't open files with this Enter...

I guess I will try to get the familiar experience and shortcuts of Windows in Everything.
Navigation mode vs Search mode?
WExplorer mode vs Everything mode?

Binding Shift + Enter to "File | Explore in Everything" will give the best experience.
However, this is currently broken due to the bug above.

7. Consider let using "Selection rectangle" for multiple selection by mouse.
I will consider a selection rectangle to select multiple folders.

8. Keep in mind that when "View > Toggle LTR/RTL direction" you might need to toggle also the tree direction.
I have put on my TODO list to add RTL support to the treeview.

Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Currently, the folder sidebar in Everything is less about navigation and more about filtering.
This might change with the addition of an address bar.
I will remind you that there is such a project, if it can help you:
QTAddressBar - Navigation by hovering
http://cybernetnews.com/wp-content/uplo ... ssbar4.jpg
http://qttabbar.wikidot.com/qtaddressbar

I saw also something in GitHub but I think it's not exactly the same:
https://github.com/Longxr/QtAddressBar
I have put on my TODO list to add a keyboard shortcut to collapse all.
What about a context menu item to expand all / collapse all?
I didn't see it in Windows, but I think it's good thing to add this. As I said, I think I'd prefer toggling by the same key.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the QTAddressBar links and suggestions.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1315a adds numpad / to collapse all.

Enter will now toggle expand/collapse.

Explore in Everything will now select the correct folder.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Everything 1.5.0.1315a adds numpad / to collapse all.
I can't use it in my laptop. :(
Those commands are not available via context menu, and I didn't find those 3 commands also in Keyboard (tab).
Toggle/ExpandAll/CollapseAll
Enter will now toggle expand/collapse.
I suggest SpaceBar for that, and
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will add context menu items to Expand All / Collapse All when Shift is held down in the next alpha update.

I will consider space bar to toggle expand/collapse and enter to go into the folder.