multi-open one application via their separate shortcuts simultanously

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
void_hero

multi-open one application via their separate shortcuts simultanously

Post by void_hero »

Hi Team,

scenario:
in the same device, multi-open one application via their separate shortcuts simultanously, e.g.: chrome.lnk, chrome 2nd.lnk, the difference? only with different user profile data, which making this behavior meaningful;
Version: 1.4.1.1015 (x64) is ok to do it;
while Version: 1.5.0.1300a (x64) is NOT ok to do it;

question:
why the difference here?

expectation:
since nowadays it's the 1.5 version as the trending version, 1.5 is ok to do this task;

Thanks for the consideration & possible fulfilment.
therube

Re: multi-open one application via their separate shortcuts simultanously

Post by therube »

When you say "simultaneously", do you mean that you are highlighting "chrome1" & "chrome2" & then (context-menu) Open?

Or do you mean that you want chrome1 to open with chrome1 profile, & chrome2 to open with chrome2 profile?

(I take it the latter.)
That being the case, the only thing I can figure that might be interfering (in that you are actually opening a profile that is different from both chrome1 & chrome2; i.e. "chrome-admin") is that you are running 1.5 "as Administrator"?

What does happen in 1.5 when you open chrome1 & chrome2, what profiles get opened?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the bug report void_hero,

Only one shortcut is opened.
This is a bug with the Windows Shell.

I will add a work around for Everything when using the open verb.

For now, please disable shell_execute_invoke_id_list:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /shell_execute_invoke_id_list=0
  • If successful, shell_execute_invoke_id_list=0 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
Note: Disabling shell_execute_invoke_id_list may break some verbs when multiple files are selected.
(for example, right clicking multiple mp3 files and clicking play may open each individual mp3, playing them all at the same time)

shell_execute_invoke_id_list
void_hero

Post by void_hero »

thanks, void,

this is 100% perfectly solve the issue in this scenario; and the mp3 related cases are totally fine to go with;
Last edited by void_hero on Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
void_hero

Post by void_hero »

therube wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:26 pm When you say "simultaneously", do you mean that you are highlighting "chrome1" & "chrome2" & then (context-menu) Open?
i just tested what you said, it's the same effect with what i did: highlighting "chrome1" & "chrome2" & then Enter;
therube wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:26 pm Or do you mean that you want chrome1 to open with chrome1 profile, & chrome2 to open with chrome2 profile?
yup, this is the purpose here;
therube wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:26 pm (I take it the latter.)
That being the case, the only thing I can figure that might be interfering (in that you are actually opening a profile that is different from both chrome1 & chrome2; i.e. "chrome-admin") is that you are running 1.5 "as Administrator"?
i'm not running 1.5 "as Administrator", and since now i used Mr.void's work around to make it solved, i will just let it go as it is;
therube wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:26 pm What does happen in 1.5 when you open chrome1 & chrome2, what profiles get opened?
before the work around, it will just open the chrome1;
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1301a fixes an issue with opening multiple lnk files.

Everything will now open each individual file when a lnk file is selected.