[Solved] Not responding during startup.

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
NotNull

[Solved] Not responding during startup.

Post by NotNull »

When I start Everything (1299a, but 1280a had the same issue), "Querying" is shown in the statusbar for about 20 seconds.
Clicking in the (empty) Everything window during that time shows "(not reponding)" in the window caption/title bar.

I expect this has to do with an available M: network mapping, where the endpoint (\\server\share) is not available atm.
The debug log seems to confirm that. Log available if needed.
No properties or content are indexed on this M:-drive.

Expected result:
Resultlist available after short period (let's say ~2 seconds); updating/checking in the background.

After I remove the drive mapping (net use m: /d), Everything starts as usual. No "Querying", etc. Resultlist is shown instantly.
void
Developer

Re: Not responding during startup.

Post by void »

Please send the debug logs to support@voidtools.com

I'm having trouble producing the issue my end.
Could you please also send your %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini as there might be a view setting causing the issue.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the debug logs and Everything.ini

I don't think I would have ever found the issue without your Everything.ini.
The issue only occurs when there is another folder index with a drive letter.

Everything was stopping and restarting the folder monitors on startup.
However, Everything would get stuck here trying to access an offline network drive.
Everything would eventually timeout after 20 seconds.

Everything 1.5.0.1300a will no longer stop and start the folder monitors on startup.

Everything will now also cancel pending synchronous IO when terminating a thread which should improve overall responsiveness when working with offline volumes.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

void wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:48 am Everything 1.5.0.1300a will no longer stop and start the folder monitors on startup.
... and that fixes this issue. Thanks a lot!

void wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:48 am which should improve overall responsiveness when working with offline volumes.
Understatement of the week.
Everything now starts blazingly fast, with on- as well as offline volumes. Very nice!