Excluding files within folders from property indexing

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
JTCGiants56

Excluding files within folders from property indexing

Post by JTCGiants56 »

I currently have indexing for some properties set to index some file types only, include folders is unchecked since it doesn't apply.

I have the below set in "exclude folders", but it seems the files within them are still being indexed. Is this the proper way to do this, or should this line be moved down to the "exclude files" box?

I:\abc123;"T:\folder 1\folder 2"
NotNull

Re: Excluding files within folders from property indexing

Post by NotNull »

The paths need to be specified *without* the quotes: I:\abc123;T:\folder 1\folder 2;
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

NotNull wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:03 pm The paths need to be specified *without* the quotes: I:\abc123;T:\folder 1\folder 2;
Thanks, think that did the trick!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

@void:

suggestion to change the examples in the tooltips in the Properties dialog (or is it a modal?) to include a path with spaces.

2021-10-09 22_21_24-voidtools forum - Post a reply — Mozilla Firefox.png
2021-10-09 22_21_24-voidtools forum - Post a reply — Mozilla Firefox.png (7.29 KiB) Viewed 13029 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

I would call it the Property page in the Options window. (Technically the options window is modeless)

I have added an example with a space for the next alpha update.

Thank you for the suggestion.
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

I'm not sure if this is related somehow but after doing this and re-indexing went through, I noticed about an hour after the index was done everything 1.5 was using about 8gb of RAM still. After shutting down and reopening the app it went back to normal levels.

Could this be a possible memory leak? Note I did pause and restart the indexing several times during the process if that matters.

I am 1274a (x64) currently and not the latest alpha.
void
Developer

Post by void »

The paths need to be specified *without* the quotes: I:\abc123;T:\folder 1\folder 2;
This is bug.

I am working on a fix.

Could this be a possible memory leak? Note I did pause and restart the indexing several times during the process if that matters.
Most likely a handle leak.
What properties are you indexing? what file types are included? -I'll do some testing on my end.
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

void wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:47 am
This is bug.

I am working on a fix.

Most likely a handle leak.
What properties are you indexing? what file types are included? -I'll do some testing on my end.
Frame Rate, Height, Length, Media Created, Width

File types for all-
*.mkv;*.mp4;*.avi;*.flv;*.webm;*.wmv;*.mov;*.m4v;*.m2ts;*.ts;*.mpg
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the info JTCGiants56,

I have been testing indexing properties for these file types and I haven't found any leaks yet.

Do you have any third party property handlers installed for mov, ts or mpg files?
-Normally Everything cannot read these file types.

I noticed about an hour after the index was done
Could you please confirm, was Everything still showing the indexing properties progress bar in the status bar?
-I'm just wondering if Everything got stuck on one file which was leaking memory.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1280a fixes an issue with parsing double quotes in exclude lists.

Double quotes are only needed to escape a semicolon (;) and literal double quotes (").

Use " to start and end a quote.

For example, to escape a semicolon (;)
"c:\a;folder;with;semicolons";c:\another\folder;c:\and\another\folder;...

Use "" while inside quotes to escape a literal "
"Control Panel\A virtual folder with ""quotes""";c:\another\folder;c:\and\another\folder;...
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

void wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:41 am Thanks for the info JTCGiants56,

I have been testing indexing properties for these file types and I haven't found any leaks yet.

Do you have any third party property handlers installed for mov, ts or mpg files?
Sorry, just noticed this, didn't get a notification email for some reason.

I have Icaros installed to manage video thumbnails, but I have the properties management option off.
I noticed about an hour after the index was done
Could you please confirm, was Everything still showing the indexing properties progress bar in the status bar?
-I'm just wondering if Everything got stuck on one file which was leaking memory.
It was not. It was completely finished.
therube

Post by therube »

Actually Everything most likely can but the gotcha is going to be with the codecs used within the .mov, .ts, .whatever container.

Some video files' properties are not properly displayed