RFE: Disable Updates of Lazy Load Column

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
therube

RFE: Disable Updates of Lazy Load Column

Post by therube »

RFE: Disable (Pause) Updates of Lazy Load Column

Oh, it might be nice to have a toggle to be able disable loading of Lazy Load column data.

That way, you could have (Lazy Load) columns (out of view, presumably) that in addition to Lazy Load, could be toggled on or off entirely - without actually removing said column (& then manually adding it back in).

So if you had Length column normally displayed, but you were performing actions where Length wasn't needed, you could toggle updating of that data - off. Column is still there, just the data doesn't load. Then, you want to see it, you (right-click the column header &) toggle, 'Enable [Lazy] Updating'.
void
Developer

Re: RFE: Disable Updates of Lazy Load Column

Post by void »

Thanks for the suggestions therube,

For the next alpha update:
File -> Read Extended Information (Ctrl + Shift + E) will gather properties for all selected items and for all columns (visible or not).
Currently, only visible columns are gathered.

Have the option to request properties for columns that are out of view with a property_request_visible_column_only ini setting.

Have the option to bind a keyboard shortcut to toggle this property_request_visible_column_only value.
therube

Post by therube »

For the next alpha update:
File -> Read Extended Information (Ctrl + Shift + E)...
But will the current Lazy Load situation still apply?

I think Lazy Load is great.

I can keep a column out of view - & it never loads.
If I bring it into view, then only those rows that are visible, load.
I can click the Column & have all rows load.

(This way not all the data needs to load all the time.
Often, as I'm working my way down file sets, I start large, then filter the listings, then when I'm happy with what I've got, I'll Lazy Load the additional data that may prove helpful.)

---

My RFE was simply to be able to have a column(s) display, but not necessarily be loaded.

Like I could have Length & Hash columns (out of view), so not loaded - when I don't need it, but when I do, I simply arrow key over to bring the column into view & that data then loads.

Likewise, while I still have Length & Hash columns listed, I may not need either to "ever" load - based on current workload.
So, I "pause" their update/display (so there is no additional burden gathering that [not currently needed] data).

When I do need that data again, columns are already listed, & I un-pause them, at which point they Lazy Load their data...
void
Developer

Post by void »

But will the current Lazy Load situation still apply?
Read Extended Information is not quite a 'lazy load'.

Read Extended Information is a background task, like searching or sorting.
Performing another task will cancel the current Read Extended Information request.

I'll post an alpha update shortly, please let me know what you think..
I can keep a column out of view - & it never loads.
If I bring it into view, then only those rows that are visible, load.
I can click the Column & have all rows load.
I would like to keep this functionality.

The question is what to do when you want to load properties that are out of view (and don't want to sort).
'Read Extended Information' should be designed to do this.

Some thoughts...
'Read Extended Information' could be renamed to 'Read Extended properties' or 'Read properties'
Add an option to right click a result list column header and click lazy load all..
therube

Post by therube »

I'm probably not following... enough...

I like the current situation - a lot.
I keep columns out of view & they don't load.
I bring the column into view & it does - those rows that are visible, not all.
If I want to see all, & the column is in view, & can simply click the column header, which will cause all of that columns items to load.

That all works great.
Don't need to load when I don't necessarily need it. And when I do, it's there - easily, either partially (Lazy Load) or fully (all the items in my list) by clicking the column header.

Additionally, separately, I might want to have columns listed, but not necessarily have its' data loaded.
And I do that (in theory) by right-clicking the column, & in the list where the column (say Length or Hash) is checkmarked (meaning it is listed), & then check or uncheck the Load box.

So I can have Length & Hash columns displayed, but it won't go out & gather/compute that data until I toggle the Load box.
If I disable, only cached data is shown. If I enable, it goes to (existing) Lazy Load method.

If you want to extend that with a 'Read Extended properties' (is that going to load both Length & Hash ? can't imagine I'd want both, at the same time), that's fine too.
void
Developer

Post by void »

If you want to extend that with a 'Read Extended properties' (is that going to load both Length & Hash ?
Read Extended properties should gather the properties for all columns and selected items.
This is necessary for exporting data.

Everything 1.5.01260a fixes an issue with Read Extended properties not gathering properties for columns when they are out of view.

I've added a property_request_visible_column_only ini setting to control how Everything loads properties for columns that are out of view.

It's probably not going to help you for your case. However, some users might want to lazy load all properties.
And I do that (in theory) by right-clicking the column, & in the list where the column (say Length or Hash) is checkmarked (meaning it is listed), & then check or uncheck the Load box.
I will consider doing something like this.
Thanks for the suggestion!
aviasd

Post by aviasd »

I think the planned feature in the TODO, of column sets, could also be a good solution to this problem and is worth mentioning.

I too have many columns that are not relevant most of the time and are off-screen in the general everything filter.

Even so, I don't like the clutter and column lookup and having column sets that can be applied for different scenarios is a good idea. (Like TC, or process explorer).

Note: One can have custom columns defined per filter, but having it decoupled has value IMO. ( Mostly for non-specific file type properties)