How to search filename +only specified extensions!!!

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Kurt

How to search filename +only specified extensions!!!

Post by Kurt »

How to search filename +only specified extensions???
Kurt

Re: How to search filename +only specified extensions!!!

Post by Kurt »

nevermind figured it out

filename .mpg|.avi|.wmv|.mpeg|.mov|.ra|.divx|.fla| !.rar !.zip !.lnk !.jpg !.bmp !.mp3 !.txt !.xml etc

seems to work.. pitty about the crap GUI pretty damn basic noob functionality.. talk about bare bones! no way to even get dropdown box of previous search terms...seems pretty retarded to have to use something like that entire string everytime... not to mention the fact I'll have to copy and paste it for another one.

really this is the kinda shit workflow design I expect from Microsofts crappy efforts
doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good as Locate32's GUI
jjk

Post by jjk »

Cool, Kurt 8-)
See here
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

well I look forward to seeing how that dropbox is implemented and what control over it.. don't want it remembering all search terms.. mainly just want it to remember selected commonly used ones... very much why i prefere locate32 Ui... extensions is seperate input field.. with its own dropbox that can get saved.. also you have a seperated way of saving commonly used search terms.. tbh I dunno what on earth is so hard about implementing some of these basic GUI enhancements.. just take note locate32 please

as side note I have ended up having to make another Everything install.. and basically just excluding *.* everything.. except the video formats I wanted in the options...

only I still have to use this line ".mpg|.avi|.wmv|.mpeg|.mov|.ra|.divx|.fla|" or ".mpg|.avi|.wmv|.mpeg|.mov|.ra|.divx|.fla" depending on if i want folders with searched filename to be in the results or not.. and still that isn't full proof either because if the folder name includes an extension name in the folder title then it still shows up.. I mean how hard is it to even provide a UI option to disable/enable folder directories in the result.

the other big problem with this method is that i'm completely restricted to just the included filters... having to launch another Everything portable install with nothing excluding etc just stupid.... and the only reason I did it like this was because of the how flawed that whole "filename .mpg|.avi|.wmv|.mpeg|.mov|.ra|.divx|.fla| !.rar !.zip !.lnk !.jpg !.bmp !.mp3 !.txt !.xml etc" method was.. doesn't seem to be anyway of just excluding every other filename but the ones I wanted.. like "filename .mpg|.avi|.wmv|.mpeg|.mov|.ra|.divx|.fla| !.*" where !.* at the end stops every other file format from showing up - doesn't work :S
DickPape

Post by DickPape »

I'd ask for your money back...
daspud

Post by daspud »

Hi Kurt,

If the program displeases and frustrates you so I would suggest that you don't use it. Considering the price, I would be willing to pay at least 4x that for the same function.

I know that remembering the prior searches is on the list of things TODO. You say you don't want all searches remembered. How do you see that working? A mind-meld or just a function key? :)

Spud
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

"I'd ask for your money back..."

whatever noob.

"If the program displeases and frustrates you so I would suggest that you don't use it."

-yeah haven't bothered using it since last post.

". Considering the price, I would be willing to pay at least 4x that for the same function."

price = 0... 4 x 0 = ? so how much exactly is 4x of nothing again?.... I wouldn't pay anything for the current state of"Everything"... its pretty bare bones on actual usefulness and functionality .. you must be one of those vis7a noobs who like shit software design?

"You say you don't want all searches remembered. How do you see that working? "

I see it working with a decent UI.. seriously I hope I don't have to point out the obvious ways functionality can be built to improve the user experience.. its not rocket science. Just build into the UI a way of allowing the user to selectively delete no longer required searches, plenty of ways it can be done.

and I say searches I don't just mean actual file/foldername searches.. I mean also extension filters... its nice to be able mousewheel a drop down menu to select previous typed filters/searches... but obviously these drop down can get cluttered with previously typed searches that you no longer need , but you don't want to be exiting the program only to come back another time and find you've got to type out the same damn ext filter list etc.

so yeah basically put a bit of effort into the UI! writing out file/folder search in the same input box you need to put in the damn extension filters is retarded.
Nug

Post by Nug »

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it "shit". In your other post you said make Everything like Locate32, so why don't you just use Locate32 and leave it at that? No point coming on here just to complain and be rude to people.
DickPape

Post by DickPape »

And send some money to David so he can hire another to do things on his ToDo list.