File Explorer auto-refresh disabled

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
valefrox

File Explorer auto-refresh disabled

Post by valefrox »

File Explorer auto-refresh gets disabled while Everything 1.4.1.965 is running. When I close Everything, the auto-refresh works as intended once again.
This unexpected behaviour doesn't happen with version 1.4.1.935, so I temporarily reverted to it.

I'm on Windows 10 x64, version 1809 build 17763.1075.
NotNull

Re: File Explorer auto-refresh disabled

Post by NotNull »

Thanks for reporting this!

How can we reproduce it?
(I don't use File Explorer very often and on first impression it seems to auto-refresh)

And another question: 32-bit Everything or 64-bit?
valefrox

Post by valefrox »

Everything is x64.

For example: in File Explorer I sort the files by type in a folder with 6 files, 2 .jpg, 2 .txt and 2 .wav. If auto-refresh is disabled, when I copy or create a text file it stay at the bottom of the list, at position 7, until I manually refresh. With auto-refresh enabled it appears automatically near the other txts, between the jpgs and the wavs.

With 1.4.1.935:

With 1.4.1.965:
void
Developer

Post by void »

I haven't had any luck reproducing the issue.

Are you using folder indexing? -Have you added any folders under Tools -> Options -> Folders? -These folder indexes use ReadDirectoryChanges to monitor a folder for changes. This might be causing an issue with Windows Explorer -Nothing has changed with folder monitoring between version 935-965.

Are you using file list indexing? -Everything will monitor the file list's parent folder for changes and reload the file list if it is modified. -This monitoring could be causing conflicts with Windows Explorer. -Do you have any file list indexes under Tools -> Options -> File lists.

Are you using the same settings between the two versions?

Are you running Everything as a standard user or as an administrator?

Could you please send your %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini to support@voidtools.com
valefrox

Post by valefrox »

I'm not using folder indexing, nor file list indexing.
The settings are the same.
I'm administrator.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the ini.

Could you please try Everything 1.4.1.968.

This version removes a call to OpenFileByID.
Calling OpenFileByID was causing Windows Explorer to stop updating.
valefrox

Post by valefrox »

Version 1.4.1.968 (x64) seems to fix the issue. Thank you.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

@void:
Is it easy to explain why you (and I) didn't have this issue?
Is it because I run a newer version of Win10 (1909) and the library that contains the OpenFileByID function was updated?
therube

Post by therube »

I tried to duplicate it on Win10 (not sure of which bug version ;-)) & I may have seen it - some times.

(Rarely / never, use File/Windows Explorer as it is, so not really familiar with that animal...)
Tried from command prompt; dir > xxx & from within in Windows Explorer; context-menu -> New ->...) & couldn't get consistent failures.
Every so often, yes, wrong place.
But most of the time, ordered correctly.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Windows 10 x64 1909 and 2004 appear fine.

1903 and earlier appear to have the issue. (Tested 2004 x64, 1909 x64, 1903 x64, 1809 x64 and 1703 x64)
Windows 7 appears fine.

The OpenFileByID call can also be disabled by setting allow_ntfs_open_file_by_id to 0:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /allow_ntfs_open_file_by_id=0
  • If successful, you should see allow_ntfs_open_file_by_id=0 in the status bar for a few seconds.
allow_ntfs_open_file_by_id was set to 0 in earlier versions of Everything.
This settings may have carried over from previous versions of Everything.

To check the current value of allow_ntfs_open_file_by_id:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /allow_ntfs_open_file_by_id
  • If successful, you should see allow_ntfs_open_file_by_id=x in the status bar for a few seconds. Where x is the current value.

The allow_ntfs_open_file_by_id setting only applies when running Everything as an administrator. The Everything Service ignores this setting and will always use OpenFileByID.

OpenFileByID is used to gather file information when a file is modified, such as file size and date modified. It has the benefit of being 'more-up-to-date' when the file is still open, since it will read file cache. Everything will now reads this information directly from the MFT.
Since the file cache has not been written to disk yet, the MFT can be out of date.

Everything will be notified once all handles to the file have been closed and the MFT updated, Everything will then read the correct 'up-to-date' size and date modified information.