Searching slow if Solidworks 2019 is installed

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
krosal

Searching slow if Solidworks 2019 is installed

Post by krosal »

I have found at my company that if Solidworks 2019 is installed on a PC, that the searching is slow, and the scrolling through the file list is also slow and seems to freeze on some searches. Has anyone else noticed this.

I can do the same search on a computer that does not have and Solidworks software installed and everything is fast. The Solidworks PC's have allot of memory installed and high end video cards so I'm not sure why they are not as fast. I have checked the Ethernet cabling, switch port speed and Ethernet settings.

I can perform the same searches with a slower PC and no problems scrolling and searches are fast. I'm starting to think that it's Solidworks related, but our previous search tool did not do this. Maybe it's Everything and NVidea graphics? The computers are Dell Precision 5820's with 32GB RAM and an M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe video card. All of these the searches are slower than on my PC 5 year old PC with 8GB. Anyone else run into this or have a solution?

Thank you,
krosal

Re: Searching slow if Solidworks 2019 is installed

Post by krosal »

This would be with Solid State Drives
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Are these Solidwork users also using the ETP Client as a published application, just like everyone else in your company?

(If so: that is very important information that you should add to your question(s) as most people are unaware of your specific setup).
krosal

Post by krosal »

No it's not a Published Terminal Server Application, it's just installed on the Windows 7 and Windows 10 PC's as an Everything application. Everyone in the company is setup the same way and pointing to the ETP server. We have (2) locations and each location has there own ETP server setup where all of the paths are identical so the search paths are the same. Each locations points to it's own ETP server. Both locations have Solidworks users and it performs the same way at both locations. One thing to mention is that Solidworks has its own search utility that incorporates with the Windows Explorer and is called EPDM or PDM. Maybe this is related somehow.
Last edited by krosal on Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Thanks for the info!

As it is a published application, local hardware has hardly any influence (the application runs on the terminal server after all).
One exception: video. My guess is that these Solidworks stations have a higher resolution/higher bitdepth video setup.
In that case: Check your (mstsc) connection settings.
krosal

Post by krosal »

Currently, I only have a few terminal server clients connecting to the ETP server. 99% of the clients are Windows 7 Professional and Windows 10 Professional connecting to a Windows Server 2019 Standard server. I guess I misunderstood you when you said "Published Application" I will update my last response if that is what you were referring too. None of the Terminal Server clients are running Solidworks.

Sorry about that....

Yes, the Solidworks users have a high end graphics card installed on there PC's.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the issue report. I'm looking into it..

Some suggestions:
Please try disabling ETP logging from Tools -> Options -> ETP Server -> Enable logging.
Please try disabling ipv6 on your server or bind to a ipv4 interface from Tools -> Options -> ETP Server -> bind to interfaces.
Please try enabling TCPIP NODELAY, although Everything does set this property after the connection is made..

Is there much network usage reported in the Task Manager?
krosal

Post by krosal »

OK, I completed the following;
    disabled the IPv6 on the ETP Server.
      I have unchecked the 'Enable logging' on the ETP Server.

It looks like I need to add the IP address of the ETP Server in the 'Bind to interfaces' field. That is what I put in there.

Thank you,
      Last edited by krosal on Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
      krosal

Post by krosal »

I ran a test on a Solidworks 2019 PC and it seems to have fixed the slowness on that particular PC that I tested. I will have to wait until Monday to check the computer that was having the issue. Since the PC that I checked did have Solidworks installed, I believe that the problem is resolved since it was noticed only on the PC's with Solidworks installed.

No there is not too much traffic being generated on that server. That server is only running the Everything ETP but is also a Symantec replication server. The Corporate location has ETP and Symantec Primary server. The Corporate location isn't as bad for the Solidworks users and is superfast for a standard PC. I'm thinking to make the same changes at Corporate since the searches are a little slower for the Solidworks users.

I will give an update for this on Monday when the Engineer returns back to work.

Thank you so much for the information on the settings.

Kelly
      krosal

Post by krosal »

Unfortunately the changes that I made did not fix the issue with the Solidworks. I did come to find out that it is definitely related to Solidworks.

If a filename has a Solidworks file extension, the search is slow only if Solidworks is installed on the PC. Everything shows on the bottom left of the dialog window that it is searching or something on that order.

For a test I uninstalled 'normally' Solidworks 2019 and the Everything search worked normally, even if the file had a Solidworks file extension.
      krosal

Post by krosal »

I have uninstalled the Solidworks on one of the Engineering PC's. What I can do is a comparison with a context menu for one that doesn't have Solidworks installed and then how it is after the Solidworks is installed.
      krosal

Post by krosal »

I have (2) files, (1) without Solidworks installed and the other with.

Shell Extensions List_a (no solidworks installed)

Shell Extensions List_b (solidworks installed)
      Last edited by krosal on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I think @therube's idea was find a search query that is slow and after that: disable all the Solidworks related shell extensions in Shexview (right-click > Disable) to see if that solves the slowness (execute that same query again).
      And if it does: re-enable the shell extensions one by one to see which one is the culprit.

Does one of the files in your "slow query" have a very long path? ( add
      path:len:>255
      to find these)
      krosal

Post by krosal »

OK, I can try this and see if disabling a shell extension and see what happens.

I really don't thing that there is anything with a long filename such as that.
      Last edited by krosal on Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      NotNull

Post by NotNull »

krosal wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:24 pm I really don't thing that there is anything with a long filename such as that. I guess if that was the case, why do non Solidworks not have this issue.
      See this or a possible reason why

I did a test on a Solidworks PC, ran a search with Solidworks installed and Everything scrolling was slow and hanging. Uninstalled Solidworks and Everything ran perfect.
      Most likely cause, as @therube indicated: One (or more) Solidworks shell extensions.
      Last edited by NotNull on Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      krosal

Post by krosal »

Hello,

I did have the user enter /shell_max_path=1, it didn't change anything for his searching and scrolling slowness when searching for the Solidworks files.
      I'm not sure if this will cause any problems for him now that I ran this command. IS there a way to set it back to what to was?

Thank you
      NotNull

Post by NotNull »

krosal wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:42 pm Hello,

I did have the user enter /shell_max_path=1, it didn't change anything for his searching and scrolling slowness when searching for the Solidworks files.
      I'm not sure if this will cause any problems for him now that I ran this command. IS there a way to set it back to what to was?
      That wasn't necessary. It was intended as an expalnation, nothing more.

You can revert to the original state by entering
      /shell_max_path=0
      , followed by ENTER.
      krosal

Post by krosal »

My first try of disabling the Solidworks extensions didn't seem to make a difference, I will try it again today. Maybe I need to exit the Everything application each time I disable an extension. That I did not do. I just disabled an extension one at a time and performed the search.

I do also have a ticket open with Solidworks through my 3rd Party Support. I will post any updates if there are any.
      void
      Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the info Krosal.

I was able to reproduce the issue with Solidworks 2019.

There's a performance issue when gathering the base icon for files with the SLDPRT extension.

Could you please try Everything 1.4.1.969.
      I've added icon cache to the ETP client.

The issue also applies to file lists with a SLDPRT file. I will addressed this in a future release of Everything.
      There is also possible performance issues when showing the Type column. Although, SLDPRT files appear fine.
      krosal

Post by krosal »

Yes, that worked perfect - the opening of the Solidworks files works fast now. I have installed this on all the PC's running the Solidworks 2019 application. The issue is resolved with the version 1.4.1.969

Your Everything Application and support is outstanding!

Thank you!