How to increase the search speed?

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
qianw

How to increase the search speed?

Post by qianw »

I type “a” in the input box,the list of search result was show immediately,about 3 million results。I search by using the sdk for a few seconds, how to increase the search speed?
void
Developer

Re: How to increase the search speed?

Post by void »

Normally, an Everything query will return all results. This will take a few seconds over IPC.

Please try limiting the number of results with Everything_SetMax.

Use Everything_SetOffset to set your window scroll offset.

For the best performance, set the maximum results to the number of visible items in your window and set the offset to the vertical scroll offset of your window. You'll need to requery if the user changes the vertical scroll offset or window size.
qianw

Post by qianw »

void wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:26 am Normally, an Everything query will return all results. This will take a few seconds over IPC.

For the best performance, set the maximum results to the number of visible items in your window and set the offset to the vertical scroll offset of your window. You'll need to requery if the user changes the vertical scroll offset or window size.
that's good idea,thanks.
qianw

Post by qianw »

void wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:26 am Normally, an Everything query will return all results. This will take a few seconds over IPC.

I have another question, how to use "client-service"? I installed client service,but es.exe did not work?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

qianw wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:33 am I installed client service
Do you mean the Everything Service or the Everything Client Service?
If the latter, did you follow these instructions?
qianw

Post by qianw »

NotNull wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:34 pm
qianw wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:33 am I installed client service
Do you mean the Everything Service or the Everything Client Service?
If the latter, did you follow these instructions?
Yes,Everything Client Service.
I installed Everything Client Service,and excuted es.exe.I got error information:
"Error 8: Everything IPC window not found. Please make sure Everything is running".
void
Developer

Post by void »

normally, ES doesn't work with the client service.
The client service is intended for running an Everything ETP/FTP/HTTP server as a service without having a user logged in.

ES requires the Everything Search Client to be running in the background.

What are you trying to do?
qianw

Post by qianw »

void wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:49 am normally, ES doesn't work with the client service.
The client service is intended for running an Everything ETP/FTP/HTTP server as a service without having a user logged in.

ES requires the Everything Search Client to be running in the background.

What are you trying to do?
If I don't start Everything Search Client with administrator user,I have to install Everything Service. I want to install a Client Service without starting the Everything Search Client,in this case,I hope es.exe work noramlly.
void
Developer

Post by void »

You'll need to run both the Everything Service (not the client service) and the Everything search client in the background.

ES cannot communicate with the Everything client service because of Session 0 Isolation.
The Everything client service runs in session 0.
qianw

Post by qianw »

void wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:36 am You'll need to run both the Everything Service (not the client service) and the Everything search client in the background.

ES cannot communicate with the Everything client service because of Session 0 Isolation.
The Everything client service runs in session 0.
Thank you for your prompt reply,I understand.