EmEditor - problem setting

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
Debugger

EmEditor - problem setting

Post by Debugger »

In the last few versions it can not remember the last settings, e.g.
View -> Wrap by Character
How to solve this problem, do you have to change something in advanced settings now? But what?

Previously always remembered normal user settings immediately after the application is closed

EmEditor 18.9.12
tuska

Re: EmEditor - Wrap by Characters - line break

Post by tuska »

Hi,
I have no problem with

Code: Select all

Wrap by Characters  Ctrl+2
The tooltip for the icon in the toolbar shows me the following:

Code: Select all

Wrap by Characters [140|>80] (Ctrl+2)
This seems to be the default value.
The line break occurs after the 140th character.

The values can be changed as follows:
Menu "Tools" - "Properties for Current Configuration Alt+Enter" - General
Wrap by: ... use the dropdown arrow ... --> Specified Characters

EmEditor Professional (64-bit) - Version 18.9.12 - (Installed and portable)

Regards,
Karl
Debugger

Re: EmEditor - problem setting

Post by Debugger »

I apologize very much, but you probably do not understand - it does not work like in earlier versions.
After closing EmEditor, or opening a new TAB, each time it returns to the default settings "No Wrap". Previous versions always memorized all user settings at the time of closing, also after re-opening the application or opening a new tab I had the same "Wrap by Char" setting. At present, it terribly annoys me that I have to change settings all the time and again and again.

Please test:
Set the text "View -> Wrap by Character", close the application, then see if it remembers this setting? Of course not, you have the default "No Wrap" setting.

I almost never use "No Wrap", I always use the 'Wrap by Character' settings (default 80).
If in new versions, something has really changed, and I can not find the right settings, which would restore the functions of remembering the last user settings.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Debugger wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:03 pm I apologize very much, but you probably do not understand - it does not work like in earlier versions.
Uups, sorry!
Debugger wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:03 pm After closing EmEditor, or opening a new TAB, each time it returns to the default settings "No Wrap". ...

Please test:
Set the text "View -> Wrap by Character", close the application, then see if it remembers this setting? Of course not, you have the default "No Wrap" setting.
After 2 tests with the portable and with the installed version with several files the setting remains with me after a restart.
When I open a new tab, the settings remain the same.
To close EmEditor I always use the button "Close All (Esc)" which corresponds to the menu "File" - "Save and Close All".
Debugger wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:03 pm ... If in new versions, something has really changed, and I can not find the right settings, which would restore the functions of remembering the last user settings.
I don't know any setting for this and therefore I haven't changed my settings in this respect.
I only use the different variations of "save".
Do you have a backup of your settings in stock? (Menu "Tools" - "Import and Export..." - "Import INI files...")

My Path to EmEditor.exe (installed and portable):
C:\Program Files\EmEditor\EmEditor.exe
D:\Daten\Programme\TotalCommander\TCD_USB-Stick\TC32-64USB\Tools\EmEditor-portabel\EmEditorProfessional_64-bit_portabel\EmEditor.exe

All I can think of now is this:
- Where is your installation location for the EmEditor.exe (32/64 bit)? Has ist changed?
- Maybe missing write permissions?

I guess I won't be able to help you much with this anymore.

Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.207)
☑ 'Everything'  | Everything - Version 1.4.1.947 (x64)
EmEditor Professional (64-bit) Version 18.9.12
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

I do not have *.INI, but I have a different type of setting. *.REG and in fact it differs significantly in some.

I have restored the settings (from previous versions of EmEditor), and now it works very well (Correct), but I'm afraid that I could lose other application settings.

How do you compare two files and see what changes have actually changed?
REG comparison is very complicated and troublesome, very, very much incomprehensible code,

INI can not be compared because it saves all files, it is impossible to compare!
tuska

Post by tuska »

Debugger wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:36 pm How do you compare two files and see what changes have actually changed?
I don't see myself able to compare the differences of the settings in EmEditor on the basis of files.

Therefore I make regular backups (ini, reg) and very important for me:
I additionally create hard copies of all important settings (and not only for EmEditor).