Sort by date modified not working properly

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Post Reply
GuyOnDR0G
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Sort by date modified not working properly

Post by GuyOnDR0G » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:31 pm

I have a lot of files on my computer. When I wanted to see the oldest one, I went in everything and sorted by date motified (oldest)
I saw that the oldest file was 1998. However, when I checked a folder I thought had an older file, I discovered it had a file from 1983.

If I could get the C++ source file, I could find the cause of this. (everything is open source but I don't know how to get the source.)
My current guess as to what causes this is that it uses the standard name indexing. (ie. ! before a, 1 before 2)

I have version 1.4.1.895 (x64)
Last edited by GuyOnDR0G on Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

NotNull
Posts: 1589
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Sort by date modified not working properly

Post by NotNull » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:10 pm

This is a weird message. Are you trolling?

GuyOnDR0G
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Re: Sort by date modified not working properly

Post by GuyOnDR0G » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:37 am

NotNull wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:10 pm
This is a weird message. Are you trolling?
No, seriously. This actually happened/happens.

NotNull
Posts: 1589
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Sort by date modified not working properly

Post by NotNull » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:45 pm

That I believe. It was your reasoning: Unexpected result ==> It's a bug ==> I need the source code.
And also: Sorting by date is probably wrong. Probably "!" before "a". Dates normally do not contain "!" or "a".


That out of the way:
Let's say your oldest file that Everything didn't find (the one from 1983) is called "oldest.txt".
If you type this search query in Everything
"oldest.txt"
does this file show in the resultlist?

Probably not. In that case, follow these steps
If that didn't help, do a Force Rebuild (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes)
Last edited by NotNull on Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuyOnDR0G
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Re: Sort by date modified not working properly

Post by GuyOnDR0G » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:08 pm

NotNull wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:45 pm
That I believe. It was your reasoning: Unexpected result ==> It's a bug ==> I need the source code.
And also: Sorting by date is probably wrong. Probably "!" before "a". Dates normally do not contain "!" or "a".


That out of the way:
Let's say your oldest file that Everything didn't find (the one from 1983) is called "oldest.txt".
If you type this search query in Everything {c]"oldest.txt"[/c] does this file show in the resultlist?

Probably not. In that case, follow these steps
If that didn't help, do a Force Rebuild (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes)
When I searched for this file, it did not show up. However, a different file from 1983 showed up. (C:\VDos\COMMAND.COM) All of the settings for searching specified in these steps were the same as mine. I did a force rebuild numerous times and it still does not show up.


i know like no one will experience this bug, but I made this post because this bug may come up in other forms.

NotNull
Posts: 1589
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Sort by date modified not working properly

Post by NotNull » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:37 pm

Thanks for executing these steps. That removed a lot of possible causes ..

So, Everything has no idea that your "oldest.txt" exists. No wonder it doesn't come up when you sort oldest first ...


First question to answer now: Why doens't Everything know about "oldest.txt"?

Is "oldest.txt" on a local NTFS volume?
In that case, you might have defined some exclusions :
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Exclude
    • Anything configured there (other then an enabled Enable exclude list setting)?
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options >Indexes > NTFS
  • Click on the local NTFS volume that contains your "oldest.txt"
    • Is Include in database enabled?
    • Is there anything filled in under Include only:?

Check the health of your disk (for corruption etc):
  • In File Explorer, right-click the disk where your oldest.txt is on.
  • Choose properties
  • Select the Tools tab
  • Press the Check button to start the error checking

GuyOnDR0G
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Re: Sort by date modified not working properly

Post by GuyOnDR0G » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:47 pm

NotNull wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:37 pm
Thanks for executing these steps. That removed a lot of possible causes ..

So, Everything has no idea that your "oldest.txt" exists. No wonder it doesn't come up when you sort oldest first ...


First question to answer now: Why doens't Everything know about "oldest.txt"?

Is "oldest.txt" on a local NTFS volume?
In that case, you might have defined some exclusions :
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Exclude
    • Anything configured there (other then an enabled Enable exclude list setting)?
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options >Indexes > NTFS
  • Click on the local NTFS volume that contains your "oldest.txt"
    • Is Include in database enabled?
    • Is there anything filled in under Include only:?

Check the health of your disk (for corruption etc):
  • In File Explorer, right-click the disk where your oldest.txt is on.
  • Choose properties
  • Select the Tools tab
  • Press the Check button to start the error checking
oldest.txt is on a FAT32 USB.
There are no exclusions in the exclusions section.
Yes include is enabled.
There is nothing in that box.
There are no errors on my disk + USB.

NotNull
Posts: 1589
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Sort by date modified not working properly

Post by NotNull » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:12 am

oldest.txt is on a FAT32 USB.
There are no exclusions in the exclusions section.
Yes include is enabled.
There is nothing in that box.
There are no errors on my disk + USB.
That does not make sense at all:
FAT32 volumes are not shown under NTFS volumes.

GuyOnDR0G
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Re: Sort by date modified not working properly

Post by GuyOnDR0G » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:47 pm

NotNull wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:12 am
oldest.txt is on a FAT32 USB.
There are no exclusions in the exclusions section.
Yes include is enabled.
There is nothing in that box.
There are no errors on my disk + USB.
That does not make sense at all:
FAT32 volumes are not shown under NTFS volumes.
Hm. But I thought all USBs use FAT32. This is a picture of the USB in file explorer, as shown in this image.

therube
Posts: 2362
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Sort by date modified not working properly

Post by therube » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:30 am

Flash drive need not necessarily be FAT32.

Do you not have that drive, F:, Indexed as either a Folder or File List?

GuyOnDR0G
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Re: Sort by date modified not working properly

Post by GuyOnDR0G » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:15 am

therube wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:30 am
Flash drive need not necessarily be FAT32.

Do you not have that drive, F:, Indexed as either a Folder or File List?
I added the drive to that indexed folder section in options.

Hm. Does this go with all drives? Now when I searched for it, it showed up. But...
The strangest thing happened.
Sorting by oldest date modified showed that my usb (the folder path F:) is the oldest folder at 1979!!! ... glitch
There are also folders that were once folders (that were converted to files) that are being indexed as folders.
But after scrolling through all the folders, I found the file.. and I discovered something amazing.

I have 2 files from 1970.
And something that came with chrome from 1980. Actually, 12 of those.
That file from 1970 is in a microsoft system folder %appdata%\microsoft\inputmethod\(the 2 files there)
Then I realized these only came up when indexing F:\...

But thank you for helping me find the (what i currently think is the) oldest file on my computer.
Even if it is a glitch... (which it is)

Post Reply