I can't delete file like I usually do

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
phototaker

I can't delete file like I usually do

Post by phototaker »

I have often used 'Everything' to search for files and see file that is no longer needed & just pressed delete to get rid of it.

Today I say an old video file that was about 5GB & could not even select the right click menu before the PC froze. CTRL,ALT,DEl presented the offer to report problem to Microsoft but everybody already knows that this never fixes anything just wastes your time. Since then I have tried various ways to delete file, using various software etc but I can't even get these programs to get near the problem. The file is on a 2TB USB 3, portable drive.

I know that this isin't a fault of your software but maybe you could point be in right direction.
therube

Re: I can't delete file like I usually do

Post by therube »

I have tried various ways to delete file, using various software etc but I can't even get these programs to get near the problem.
Which?

Can you delete it from a command prompt using the DEL command?

Do you have permissions to the file?

Context-menu, see if anything stands out when you run ShellExView, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7292&p=24214#p24214.

offer to report problem to Microsoft but everybody already knows that this never fixes anything
You'll never know unless you report.
You may not even know even if you do report, but it still may result in a fix, somewhere along the line.
Or, they may already have a clue, & provide you with information on that.

(Error reporting is one thing. All the other crap that goes on with Win10 [& Firefox Quantum, for that matter] is just crap.)