How to fix explorer.exe crash?

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

All standard repair methods:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/windows- ... ing-fixes/

and many other methods also fail. The explorer.exe crashes appear from time to time.
therube

Re: How to fix explorer.exe crash?

Post by therube »

So what clues did Event Viewer give?
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

@therube - The "Event Viewer" does not provide any key information about the error. :lol:
unknown

Code: Select all

- System 

- Provider 

[ Name]  Application Error 

- EventID 1000 

[ Qualifiers]  0 

Level 2 

Task 100 

Keywords 0x80000000000000 

- TimeCreated 

[ SystemTime]  2019-03-09T14:37:08.000000000Z 

EventRecordID 162791 

Channel Application 

Computer Komputer 

Security 

- EventData 

explorer.exe 
   57c44efe 
   unknown 
   c0000005 
   000000001d2e0fd8 
   01d4d6085016cec3 
   C:\Windows\explorer.exe 
   unknown 
   d0d24f81-4278-11e9-8832-0862662a261f 
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Check the Windows error reports files.
On an x64 its under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

horst.epp wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:24 pm Check the Windows error reports files.
First of all: here is no information related to explorer.exe
Secondly: With these simple logs you will not find out what causes this problem in any way.
I know that many people publish this type of logs on various websites, but as you know, it is impossible to read anything about them. Because they do not contain any detailed information.

Real logs should contain, for example, 300-500 MB of data, so that you can debug in detail.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Debugger wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:56 pm
horst.epp wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:24 pm Check the Windows error reports files.
First of all: here is no information related to explorer.exe
Secondly: With these simple logs you will not find out what causes this problem in any way.
I know that many people publish this type of logs on various websites, but as you know, it is impossible to read anything about them. Because they do not contain any detailed information.

Real logs should contain, for example, 300-500 MB of data, so that you can debug in detail.
It looks like Microsoft knows more about it as you do because they send this information for analysis.
But I guess you never had any look into such a log which contain many infos about what happened.
If you say that such a log does not contain anything about explorer.exe but you have an WER entry for such a crash
you simply lie or can't read. And if there is no WER entry you had no crash.
The large files which you are talking about are dump files which contain whole memory dumps
and are mostly of interest for Kernal crashes.
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

horst.epp

If you know what an "Unhandled Exception" is, then you should know that NOT every exception will be caught!
And you will not always have a WER error.
Unfortunately, there is nothing here.

So what would I send you?

But if I had a log that I could show you, I can bet one million dollars that you would not see how to fix it.
I am sure that you would propose some standard diagnostic methods, which are not only time-consuming (although possible), and it does not always solve a specific problem.

The large files which you are talking about are dump files which contain whole memory dumps
and are mostly of interest for Kernal crashes.
You may know something there, but I see that you do not have enough knowledge about it. I can handle WinDbg and I have solved many problems myself without the help of other people, but unfortunately all problems can not be solved easily. In some cases, you need special knowledge on this subject.
I know that memory dumps are DMP.
But in the system there are no corresponding entries in the registry, which you have to add to create LocalDumps in the folder.

e x a m p l e
The internet is full of willing help, but is this help really good?

Example:

Everyone agrees, uninstall all Visual C++ programs. for WHAT???

Although everyone is wrong, and still the same, still the same mistake.
The error still occurs (WHEN UNNINSTALL ALL PROGRAM + CLEAN), and I had to solve this problem myself, because all the "magic" methods from the Internet were not correct.

It is the same with the current Explorer.exe :D problem
tuska

Re: How to fix explorer.exe crash? | Procdump | Crashdump

Post by tuska »

I'd suggest the following:

1. Download portable ProcDump v9.0 (Procdump.zip) from here:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... 96900.aspx
2. Create a new directory C:\crashdumps
3. Extract procdump.exe (from Procdump.zip) to C:\crashdumps
4. Press startbutton in Windows, type cmd, click on "Run as administrator", confirm UAC prompt: click on "Yes"
5. type cd c:\crashdumps ... then press <enter>
6. type procdump.exe -i -ma ... then press <enter> --> procdump: ON! *)
7. type exit ... then press <enter> (DOS window will be closed)
8. Wait until the crash occurs [if you want, see also: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ ... mainly folder "ReportArchive"].
9. Take the *.dmp file(s) and upload them to a place [e.g. OneDrive, etc.] where you can share these files (link them to someone else).
10. Now you just have to find someone who finds the error based on this file(s).
      I would make a request in the Microsoft TechNet Forum: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/
11. Follow these instructions carefully to avoid any problems for you!

*) 4. ... procdump.exe -u ... then press <enter> --> to turn procdump: OFF!
    Do not forget to switch off ProcDump after solving the problem!

Note:
Until the final clarification of my crash problem I have provided the author of Everything with *.dmp files.
In my case there were two files with about 62 megabytes.

procdump.exe -i -ma   ADMIN-DOS.png
procdump.exe -i -ma ADMIN-DOS.png (52.91 KiB) Viewed 7724 times
procdump -u.png
procdump -u.png (31.34 KiB) Viewed 7724 times
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

tuska - I uploaded the file explorer.exe.dmp
On the Microsoft forum:
And he gets feedback every time:

Code: Select all

Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Answers Forum! 

Method 1
Please check whether you face the same issue while working in the safe mode.
Step 1 Safe Mode
1. Restart your computer.
2. When the computer starts you will see your computer's hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows 7 Advanced Boot Options screen.
3. Using the arrow keys, select the Safe Mode option you want.
4. Then press the enter key on your keyboard to boot into Windows 7 Safe Mode.
5. When Windows starts you will be at a typical logon screen. Logon to your computer and Windows 7 will enter Safe mode.
6. Do whatever tasks you require, and when you are done, reboot to go back into normal mode.

Steps 2. Clean Boot 
If the issue existed in Safe Mode perform Clean Boot troubleshooting to find the root cause of  the issue:
Clean Boot Troubleshooting: 
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
   User Account Control permission.
   If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the 
   password, Or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved. 

If the issue is resolved check which third party is causing the problem, referring the link given below: 
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

8. Also you need to uninstall and reinstall the problem software on your computer.
Reset the computer to start as usual  
9. After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. 
10. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.  
11. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Method 2.
I would also recommend you to run online Virus Scan to remove any infections, if present.
Follow the link below to run the free online scan:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.html
but still every now and again (not often!) there are still crash of the explorer.
Yes, I have a hundred different drivers and uninstall, everything off. Or can not use anything completely?
How can I check it, if this error can happen at an unexpected moment, e.g. in a week, maybe in two weeks or maybe tomorrow?
You can turn something off, the computer will work well, and in a few days the explorer will crash again.
Someone even suggested to me. Change the driver to the graphics card.
I currently have the latest, so I installed other older ones. Not a few days passed and the explorer's crashagain. So that's how you can combine endlessly and the error was, is and will be.
you can update the drivers, you can use the default drivers, you can use older versions of the drivers, and this will not change anything, still the explorer's error.

Microsoft Support:
Application exits with abnormal code 0xc000041d due to early thread created by app (was: Application exits with abnormal code 0xc000041d)
Our tools are using dynamic binary translation and the bugs encountered likely do not mirror native bugs. The problem here is that a thread was created that ran outside of the tool's control and it's the mix of managed and unmanaged execution that resulted in the exception. The solution was to take over the extra thread to ensure everything is under the tool's control.