the "sort" option is reset at each restart

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
JaegerFox

the "sort" option is reset at each restart

Post by JaegerFox »

Well, when using the last value option it is restored every time when I start windows or some time, the option that I usually use is date modified or date created to see recent changes but suddenly it is changed to "sort by name"
this worked well since 1.4.1.928
Im using the last version
void
Developer

Re: the "sort" option is reset at each restart

Post by void »

Everything will reset the sort to Name ascending after each query if the current sort is not a "Fast sort"

Please make sure fast sort is enabled for date modified and date created:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Check Fast date modified sort.
  • Check Fast date created sort.
  • Click OK.
JaegerFox

Post by JaegerFox »

I already had those options activated, as I say this happened since when I upgraded to the latest version
void
Developer

Post by void »

Sorry to hear Everything is still resetting your sort.

Is "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" enabled from Tools -> Options -> General? -Everything might not be saving your settings to disk, please make sure this setting is enabled.

If you exit Everything (File -> Exit) and restart Everything is your sort order preserved?

Are using any bookmarks? -bookmarks can change the sort.

Are you launching Everything from somewhere with the -sort command line option?
JaegerFox

Post by JaegerFox »

I found exactly what is causing this problem although I'm not sure if this is considered an error

The last version that does not present this problem is 1.4.1.877 being 1.4.1.924 and later versions is where the order is lost if there are changes in "USN Journal"

The way to replicate this is using a secure disk cleaning software, one of the options is the cleaning of old USN Journal entries, when I did these cleanings in previous versions the only thing I noticed is that Everything re scan the disk, in the Last versions the order is restarted
I suppose that when turning off or restarting Windows in some occasions the USN is cleaned so Everything restarts the order

I hope this information helps in some way, by the way when I made those tests I used exactly the same ini file without any kind of extra options

thank you
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for persisting with me.

There was a race condition with receiving the first results and rebuilding the database. When the database was rebuilt before receiving the notification for new results, Everything was resetting the sort to Name ascending.

Please try Everything 1.4.1.939 for a fix.
Please let me know if the issue persists.

It's odd that the previous version 1.4.1.877 worked for you, the same issue should be present in all previous versions.
JaegerFox

Post by JaegerFox »

I did different tests and it works thanks for solving this problem and for giving good support, but thank you very much for creating a very essential software