Everything service looks not started but it is

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
jams

Everything service looks not started but it is

Post by jams »

Hi,

As you may remember I've build a C# wrapper for Everything API (https://github.com/ju2pom/EverythingNet).
The wrapper use Everything_GetMajorVersion and the other similar methods to check if Everything service is started.

I'm now trying to build a windows service that rely on this C# wrapper, but my wrapper reports a 0.0.0.0 version number as if Everything service was not running even though I can see it running (and working with the UI).

Do you know what could be the issue ? Different privilege, not possible ? Maybe checking the version is not a good idea, but I also noted that calling Everything_IsDBLoaded was returning false :(

Thanks for any help !
void
Developer

Re: Everything service looks not started but it is

Post by void »

It is unlikely a permission issue, as Everything will allow API calls by disabling User Interface Privilege Isolation.

If you are running your wrapper as a service the issue is most likely desktop isolation.
Services run in session 0, Everything client will most likely run in session 1.

The Everything API requires both the Everything API caller and the Everything client to run in the same session.

Please try allowing your service to interact with the desktop:
  • From Administrative Tools, Open Services.
  • Right click your service and click Properties.
  • Click the Log On tab.
  • Check Allow service to interact with desktop.
  • Click OK.
-or-

Run Everything as a client service.
You will need to allow both the Client Service and your service to interact with the desktop.

Also note the Everything client fulfills the Everything API requests, not the Everything Service.
jams

Post by jams »

Thanks to your explanation I've been able to make my windows service operates with Everything "client service".
By the way is there any difference between '-install-client-service' and '-client-svc' ?
void
Developer

Post by void »

-install-client-service installs the Everything client as a service. If installed successfully, the Everything client service is also started.
The Everything client service will call Everything.exe -client-svc when started.

-client-svc is the entry point for Everything when it is run as a service. It is similar to starting Everything normally, except it registers a service control handler so it can handle service stop requests.