Shortcut for "open and close everything window"?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
searchdemon

Shortcut for "open and close everything window"?

Post by searchdemon »

I might have missed this since the option list for assigning keyboard shortcut is quite long and I don't understand some options. Is there something that does "open result and close everything window" and "open result but keep everything open"? I remember there is an ini option to use one or the other, but I use both often and wish to have two keyboard shortcuts (Enter and Shift-Enter for example). Can I do it in the newest alpha version?

Thanks!
David
Developer

Re: Shortcut for "open and close everything window"?

Post by David »

You can set a Hotkey to toggle the search window or create a new search window.

To change the hotkeys:
  • In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Press the new keyboard shortcut in the new window hotkey edit or toggle window hotkey edit.
  • Click OK.
searchdemon

Post by searchdemon »

I'm afraid I was misunderstood. When I'm in the result list, with an item highlighted, I can press enter to open that file/folder. But sometimes I use everything to find just one file and once I found it and opened it, I don't need the everything window anymore and I'm hoping for a keyboard shortcut (like shift-enter) so that when I type that keyboard shortcut, everything will open the file (just like when I pressed enter in the result list now) AND close itself. Then I don't need to switch back to everything and close the everything windows (since I like to keep my taskbar clean!)

Thanks.
David
Developer

Post by David »

when I type that keyboard shortcut, everything will open the file (just like when I pressed enter in the result list now) AND close itself.
Great Idea!
I have added a new keyboard shortcut ResultList.ExecuteAndClose for the next release of "Everything".

Also, you might like to try enabling Close on execute.
To enable Close on execute:
  • In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the View tab.
  • In the Advanced settings, from the General folder, check Close on Execute.
  • Click OK.
searchdemon

Post by searchdemon »

Thank you! Look forward to your next release ;)